U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 02:34 PM

5 posts, read 4,313 times

Advertisements

Except that it is pine forest, going to the UP is like going to the Intermountain West. It's too cold for farming instead of too dry.Distances are huge. Contrast US-2 or M-28 to I-94 , which has several modest-sized cities until one gets to "Detritus"... it's a long way to Duluth, Green Bay, Lansing, or Grand Rapids by car if you are in Marquette.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2022, 03:35 PM

2,011 posts, read 712,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo520 View Post
Good point, and one that we are cognizant of. Currently we are in AZ so we know all about the water situation here. That IS a bonus for the U.P.. Id be curious to see how things pan out next 10 or 20 years. I'm also curious if this big trend of sunbelt migration will actually do a 180 turn and things like water and forest will be beneficial to more and more people. Kind of like how summers here in Phoenix are just hotter, for longer, year after year, i.e. number of days over 100/year.

With what research we have done so far, I think drawbacks for us for the U.P. are growing season, soil, long term living... Like having to plow 1/2 a mile of our road just to get out, all the time. I HAVE seen property with year round access listed.

I too have lived in remote places, might like the U.P., hoping to get up there to see sooner than later.

Thanks for all the input everyone!
Look at the pics of the land. Many parcels all look the same and if the dominant tree is cedar it is mostly likely a swamp. There might be a few acres on it that is usable but you could buy 70 acres and only have 2 acres that are good for anything. So why would you want to pay rather high taxes on all of that?

A lot of the UP is national forest so it isn’t available. I owned land in Maine as well and back then they were giving it away because there is so much private land in contrast. As far as waterfront Maine would be more expensive. Although in upper Maine inland it can still be cheap.

I sold my land in Maine because it is too far and traded it for a small piece on Drummond Island with some Lake Huron shoreline. It has doubled in value since I bought it two years ago but actually plots here still aren’t too badly priced. I have thought about selling it and getting a place inland on the peninsula. I wouldn’t look for a huge piece of wasteland. I would be seeking a piece on a small lake or river surrounded by national forest or state land.

Perhaps Lake Superior. View land or the like. No water front tax but you can get on ridges with expansive views. However I am directly on the water where I am and actually really tucked in and private for being on a big island. I also get pretty good services internet (flaky to say the least) power, plowed road. I am surprised they plow that far so I am in fact pleased with what is offered.

Expect goods to be expensive as the UP is in the road to nowhere. Groceries on Drummond island are eye watering expensive. The main land is a tad better but still.

You don’t have to live in absolutely the middle of nowhere to get privacy. However once you go across the bridge you are already in a different world. The feeling changes after a few minutes drive and you find yourself alone on the interstate.

So my take is to get a smaller piece of water frontage or view or something unique and skip paying taxes on a large lot. Also inland low spots are going to be utterly bug infested. Get. Place with some wind to keep your sanity. Near the big lakes keeps the bugs down a bit with lower temps and wind but it can still be bad. My experience going into still low land is they are insufferable all the time.

Anyway my take on. The UP is you can find something, somewhere, no matter your budget or desires. My disclaimer is that I am not crazy enough to live there full time.

Old 07-19-2022, 07:35 AM

23,379 posts, read 10,660,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManApplet View Post
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....venison
And pasties !

Old 07-19-2022, 07:42 PM

117 posts, read 44,745 times
Not much for jobs up there and quite a bit of swampy land. Is this bargain land quality spot or in a swamp?

Old 07-20-2022, 10:51 AM

160 posts, read 66,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
Land prices have jumped everywhere in Michigan in the last few years so I don't really view U.P. land as being that cheap anymore--but I remember when you could pick up land in the U.P. for $100/acre. Although $1,000/acre is still a pretty good price, I see lots of acreage parcels in upstate New York, Kentucky and other areas where you can buy recreational land for about $1,000/acre. If you look in northern Maine, you'll find a lot of land offered at about $1,000/acre, too. Of course, you can find even cheaper land in the arid west where water is rather hard to come by. Nevada still has some really cheap land...but you get what you pay for.

Not too many lucrative job opportunities in upstate NY, Maine, or in much of Kentucky either.

In some cases land is cheap because it is basically un-buildable too, either it is too rocky, too marshy, or it would otherwise be ridiculously expensive to get infrastructure to the lot. And then there is the matter of bringing builders and their crews out there, especially in this day and age of the great resignation.

Old 07-20-2022, 11:00 AM

2,011 posts, read 712,607 times
I would also say if looking for a deal in the UP, wells and septic systems can be a small fortune. When you are on Canadian Shield you just never know if a well is going to be 50’ or 500’. I had two wells albeit in Noethern Minnesota that came out to be more than 400’. These days I think they frack them much sooner. Also septic tanks if you are on rock is going to cost as you will need a mound most likely and maybe have to blast.

Many times you can find an acreage with those things and often it has a derelict mobile home on it. The mobile home often times makes the land less desirable but that well and septic is where the money is. Any people just can’t see past a crappy old trailer. Use it for storage until you build and tear it down later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan