Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2022, 11:13 AM

Location: Between the Evergreen state and the Green Mountain state
77 posts, read 198,249 times

Advertisements

We will be doing a long cross-country drive this spring, and one of our overnight stops will be in the Saginaw-Flint area. I have seen some comments (here and elsewhere) regarding the safety of the area. What might be the best? (Not looking for specific lodging recommendations.) Would somewhere else nearby -- Birch Run, Bay City, elsewhere -- be a better option? We're pretty flexible, just need to overnight in the general area. (We need to take 2 days to go from Marquette to Erie, and Flint/Saginaw is midway.) Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2022, 11:56 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,624 times
If you want to do some touristy stuff, you could stop at Frankenmuth.

Old 11-29-2022, 03:55 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
If you want to do some touristy stuff, you could stop at Frankenmuth.

I agree with this. Stay in Frankenmuth. You could easily spend a whole day or more there. Frankenmuth is as safe as it gets. You can't say that for either Flint or Saginaw, though I'd say Saginaw is a bit safer in general than Flint is.

https://www.frankenmuth.org/

https://www.frankenmuthcity.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankenmuth,_Michigan

Cheapest motel would be the "Frankenmuth Motel" on a back street, but it's basically NO frills. Sleep and leave, I've stayed there and it's fine. There's lot's of other motels and hotels, and with costs all the way up, along with amenities.

Old 11-29-2022, 04:31 PM

Thanks. I'll look into Frankenmuth. I have a lot of hotel points left from previous travels, so cheap & basic lodging isn't necessary -- I'm sure I can find a Hampton, Holiday Inn, Comfort or such most anywhere.

Old 11-30-2022, 01:14 AM

84 posts, read 80,624 times
All of these places have your basic hotels off the interstate and they are all fine. If you want to look around then the downtowns in Flint and Saginaw are pretty bleak. Old Town is the more happening area of Saginaw and has some interesting things to do and see (the Saginaw Art Museum is not bad). I have never had a good experience in downtown Flint because it's just too desolate and dull most of the time. Bay City is a little bit better and has more to do on a per-capita basis, but it can also be dull depending on the time of day and what you are into. Frankenmuth is pretty lively during the afternoon and the early evening, but it's also family-friendly and tourist-centric. (Do you enjoy Disney World? If yes, then you will enjoy Frankenmuth.)

If you just want to come in at dinner time, have a meal, and go gallivanting then I'd suggest either Frankenmuth or BC. BC has some business hotels downtown that aren't too expensive. Frankenmuth's largest hotels are more oriented towards families on weekend getaways but they have business hotels, too.

Old 11-30-2022, 06:41 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zendwa View Post
We will be doing a long cross-country drive this spring, and one of our overnight stops will be in the Saginaw-Flint area. I have seen some comments (here and elsewhere) regarding the safety of the area. What might be the best? (Not looking for specific lodging recommendations.) Would somewhere else nearby -- Birch Run, Bay City, elsewhere -- be a better option? We're pretty flexible, just need to overnight in the general area. (We need to take 2 days to go from Marquette to Erie, and Flint/Saginaw is midway.) Thanks!
Per the comments of Michigan91 if you stay at the hotels off the interstates/in suburban areas you will be fine. The bad areas of Flint and Saginaw are contained to the cities themselves. I agree that Birch Run/Frankenmuth might be the best option. Though the hotels in the areas around Miller Rd, and the airport in Flint are also fine, just less interesting lol.

Old 11-30-2022, 10:26 AM

7 posts, read 2,805 times
I highly recommend the Marv Herzog in Frankenmuth! We stay there when we're in the area. Get a river view room with a balcony.

There are many "standard" hotels in Saginaw, just off the 675 on/near Tittabawassee as well. Those are fine for sleeping and showering.

Old 12-01-2022, 04:31 PM

Thanks all. The last cross-country drives we did we went through Canada. But this next trip we'll be traveling with a trailer of houseplants and a couple of parakeets -- border crossings (both ways) are problematic with birds and plants. Thus, a US route this time. I like the options around Saginaw more than Flint, and will look further into Birch Run (there's a Hampton there that I can get with points). Also gonna look for areas with a nice dog park nearby for the pup to run after being in the car for hours. Lots of time for more research. Thanks for the advice.

Old 12-02-2022, 05:45 AM

2,339 posts, read 2,929,086 times
What touristy stuff would there be in or around Flint?

Old 12-02-2022, 09:39 PM

What about going down hwy 127 through Clare and Mt. Pleasant?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan