Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 06:47 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDave View Post
Her family is in the Crystal Falls area - about 1hr from Marquette.

Well, I guess my plan is to finish my degree (I have 2 classes to go), and we'll see what happens after that.

I think what I'll do is put out some feelers in the area - send some resumes, etc. Have the family there ask around. Maybe I'll find something by word of mouth.

In the meantime, I plan to learn some popular (computer) languages that I dont know yet to help me when it comes time to find another job.

I've also been kicking around the idea of starting my own business, so I'll try to find a way to do some market research to see if it would hold water.

Here's hoping.
I have a relative that has been a bigwig with a couple of computer related companies. When my oldest son asked him what he should do if he wanted to be able to find a decent job in the industry, he was told to know more than the other guy, iow, don't specialize in just one area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2008, 09:13 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerDave View Post
Right now I live in Southern Indiana. I have a great career, a nice house, and all the stuff I could really ask for.

But my wife and I arent really happy. Like they say, "Money cant buy happiness".

My wife grew up in the UP, and we would like to move back there together to be close to her friends and family.

But then comes the problem . .. . how am I supposed to find a job?
Im a computer programmer, and perusing Monster.com, I only saw maybe 2 of that type of job in the entire UP. Both in Marquette.
I dont think I'd be a very good construction worker or lumberjack, so Im not sure what to do.

Are there job opportunites for people w/ degrees? I dont mind changing professions.
I dont need to be rich, just be able to pay the bills. Im willing to sell my $200k+ home and simplify into a $50k home if I need to, but I need to know I can put food on the table before I do anything.

You guys have any thoughts?
- a possible Yooper-to-be
If you're a programmer you should be able to telecommute. Then you can have the family support -- babysitting and whatever else they want to give you.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:27 AM

137 posts, read 532,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldengineer View Post
Whatever you do, avoid K.I. Sawyer AFB. It looks like a bargain, but it is a crime and gang ridden ghetto.
LOL....A lie .......I know, I live here......My suggestion to you is to not listen to a good half of the posters here.....They're always down on Michigan, especially the UP. I think, you will do just fine. If there's a will, there's a way. Computers are the way of the future and, despite what most say here, the UP IS with the times (technology-wise). A home-based business sounds like the ticket for you. Although, if you didn't want to work at home, you could always try the hospitals, universities and maybe even a police station?! Quite a few jobs up here are not posted in the newspapers. A lot of them ARE word of mouth. The job I currently have was never printed in the paper. I simply called and got an interview the next day. Maybe you could search the yellow pages for computer-programming sort of businesses and call to see if they might need help?! If you call one and they say no, ask if they would know who would need help. Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest. Hope this helps some?!

Last edited by Torrid; 01-27-2008 at 11:55 AM..

Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 AM

792 posts, read 2,324,095 times
The Houghton area has a little Renaissance zone by the airport, if I remember correctly. There are a small number of high-tech employers there, such as ThermoAnalytics, Inc.

Old 02-03-2008, 03:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,858 times
It will be tough, finding a job in Michigan specific to your experience/degree is not easy, but if you are really truly willing to cut way back on how you live now, anything is possible as long as the two of you are in it together.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:36 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
Absolutely have your wifes family and friends put out feelers for you. It's not that there is a strong bias against "outsiders", more like others have said, most jobs are word of mouth. My last job was never advertised. When my boss needed another worker I got someone else in word of mouth.
As Torrid said, call the companies that might have a position you're interested in and apply. That way your application is on file. Good luck to you.

Old 02-03-2008, 10:40 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrid View Post
LOL....A lie .......I know, I live here......My suggestion to you is to not listen to a good half of the posters here.....They're always down on Michigan, especially the UP.
I absolutely agree!! Torrid and I both live in the Marquette area and I had to outright laugh at some of the responses in this thread!! Some of these posters need to actually spend some time here before giving advice on what life is like here

Old 02-04-2008, 12:23 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Well, I moved to the UP from the east coast. There's this kneejerk reaction to either dismiss the UP as a bunch of lumberjacks or to overcompensate and try to make it out to be this mecca of high tech civilization no one knows exists. In reality - it's neither. I think most people from the UP don't realize how different it is there - unless you're a doctor, professor, or small business owner in Marquette, you're pretty much working whatever job you can to make ends meet - and that's in the place you will quickly grow tired of hearing referred to as the largest city in the UP (it's like being the tallest munchkin in Oz - I'm not complaining though - keep it small).

I know so many college educated people working way below their capacity. But since everybody's doing that, it's not seen as strange for someone with a college degree to be installing car radios. It's what people have always done there. I started a business to support myself - but it had nothing to do with my degree.

Funny - I won't throw names out on this board, but I might know your family.

Old 02-04-2008, 06:03 AM

3 posts, read 7,551 times
The UP will not ever be a cultural center of activity, the people there are much more of a uncultured type.
You will nver see a big art museum, You will not see coffee shops on every st corner with the bohemian types talking about the issues of the day.
You are much more likely to see the old fin. in red and black plad talking about the good old days when you could shoot deer from your truck.
Then there are the people that seem to flock there or the lack of being around other people drive them to seeing UFOs. If I had a nickle for every time I heard someone say I had a siting. LOL

Old 02-04-2008, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Obviously it wouldn't compete with Manhattan -- would anyone want that?

It is what it is -- if you like uncrowded places, places where nature still exists, and clean lakes, clean beaches and small friendly towns -- and seeing people who are still quite self-reliant then you could like the UP.

But someone who needs "cultural centers of activity" - then look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan