Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:25 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,072,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygal22 View Post
I am 22 and am struggling to get through college since I am paying out of pocket and already paying back on a loan. I also have been feeling more and more like I need to be doing something with my life and ever since high school a part of me wanted to join the military. At first I wanted be a Navy Pilot but because of my size and eyesight that was impossible. So since I could not be a pilot I went to college after high school. Now, four year later the thought is still in my mind, this time however I am considering the Army National Guard. I was wondering if anyone is in the Guard and let me know what it is like. I am very aware that I could be sent to Iraq but the more I think about it the more I feel like the benefits outweigh the risk.

Not only are there the educational benefits but I believe that the military would help me gain the skills and confidence in myself. I have no idea where I am headed in life and want to do something meaningful and there is no greater thing that I can do for my country than to serve it.
Does your school have an ROTC program?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 09:40 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Disclaimer: This is an attempt at humor. It was shamelessly lifted from another web forum. I have never served in any of the armed services so I cannot vouch for the veracity of the following. However, others with military experience (especially Marines) seemed to enjoy it.

Marine Corps Rules:
1. Be courteous to everyone, friendly to no one.
2. Decide to be aggressive enough, quickly enough.
3. Have a plan.
4. Have a back-up plan, because the first one probably won't work.
5. Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. 6. Do not attend a gunfight with a handgun whose caliber does not start with a "4."
7. Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice. Ammo is cheap. Life is expensive.
8. Move away from your attacker. Distance is your friend. (Lateral & diagonal preferred.)
9. Use cover or concealment as much as possible.
10. Flank your adversary when possible. Protect yours.
11. Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose. 12. In ten years nobody will remember the details of caliber, stance or tactics. They will only remember who lived.
13. If you are not shooting, you should be communicating your intention to shoot...

US Army Rules:
1. Curse bitterly when receiving operational order.
2. Make sure there is extra ammo and extra coffee.
3. Curse bitterly.
4. Curse bitterly
5. Do not listen to 2nd LT's, they can get you killed.
6. Curse bitterly

US Air Force Rules:
1. Have a cocktail.
2. Adjust temperature on air-conditioner.
3. See what's on HBO.
4. Ask "what is a gunfight?"
5. Request more funding from Congress with a "killer" Power Point presentation.
6. Wine & dine 'key' Congressmen, invite DOD & defense industry executives.
7. Receive funding, set up new command and assemble assets.
8. Declare the assets "strategic" and never deploy them operationally.
9. Hurry to make 13:45 tee-time.
10. Make sure the base is as far as possible from the conflict but close enough to have tax exemption.

US Navy Rules:
1. Go to Sea.
2. Drink Coffee
3. Deploy Marines
4. Drink more coffee.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Some people like military service and re-enlist. Some like it so much they make a career out of it. It's not for everyone however, it depends on if you are suited to that kind of life.

I don't think you can ask total strangers how to do your life, careful of the recruiters because sometimes what they promise isn't quite what you end up with. Maybe talk to people who have made that decision on the pros and cons of it and then see if it meets your needs.

Old 06-01-2008, 06:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
Recruiters are all BS, I have 5+ friends in the military (who all enjoy it) but also tell everyone to not believe your recuiter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan