Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2008, 06:20 AM

9 posts, read 42,474 times

Advertisements

Good Morning!

My family and I will be going to Mackinac Island for 3 nights in August. This will be my 7th trip to the Island. Every time we go I try to find something new to do.

We have biked all over the Island, rented a horse and carriage, we've seen the fort. One summer we found Anne's Tablet; last year we found Sunset point.

Is there anyone who could suggest something new and different for us to do?

One thing we have never done is gone hiking in the woods. Does anyone have a favorite hike? We do have 3 children ages 4, 6, and 8 so I would like it to be something that they could handle.

Also, do you think an 8 year old boy would be okay to bike by himself? In previous years we would put him on a tag-a-long attached to my husband's bike, and put the girls in a cart. Our 6 year old is old enough to be on a tag-a-long, but getting too big to be in the cart. The thing I'm worried with my 8 year old is just being able to maneuver through bicycle traffice, horse and buggy traffic. I'm also worried if there are any drop offs from the bike path. (Yes, I know! I'm an over protective mom!)

Thanks for any info on something unique for us to do Mackinac Island!
Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2008, 07:40 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
What about a tandem bike where he could have a "big boy" seat, but still be under your control?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:11 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle11 View Post
Good Morning!

My family and I will be going to Mackinac Island for 3 nights in August. This will be my 7th trip to the Island. Every time we go I try to find something new to do.

We have biked all over the Island, rented a horse and carriage, we've seen the fort. One summer we found Anne's Tablet; last year we found Sunset point.

Is there anyone who could suggest something new and different for us to do?

One thing we have never done is gone hiking in the woods. Does anyone have a favorite hike? We do have 3 children ages 4, 6, and 8 so I would like it to be something that they could handle.

Also, do you think an 8 year old boy would be okay to bike by himself? In previous years we would put him on a tag-a-long attached to my husband's bike, and put the girls in a cart. Our 6 year old is old enough to be on a tag-a-long, but getting too big to be in the cart. The thing I'm worried with my 8 year old is just being able to maneuver through bicycle traffice, horse and buggy traffic. I'm also worried if there are any drop offs from the bike path. (Yes, I know! I'm an over protective mom!)

Thanks for any info on something unique for us to do Mackinac Island!
Michelle

Manitou Trail between the East Bluff and Arch Rock is always my favorite-awesome views of the straights and it takes you right to Arch Rock-there a few hills but nothing too steep for the little ones...

You say you have ridden your bikes all over the island? Have you gone up into the middle to see sugar loaf, skull cave, the old cemetaries, or the highest point on the island?

Have you done the butterfly house?
there are Putting greens at Mission Point that are just like a fancy version of putt putt....
In my thread "things i'm looking forward to......" i have a detailed map of the island in there-check it out

When I was in elementary school and we took a field trip to the island i remember taking a picnic lunch up to the middle of the island and either eating it in Great Turtle park or Fort Holmes.....

I think the 8 yr. old should be able to ride his own bike, although I think i'd want him in front of me-if you trust him to look around him and make sure he goes very slowly through town-or better yet, just have him walk his bike through town then as soon as you are no longer in the busy busy area-he can ride it

Old 05-30-2008, 08:13 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
"straits" my bad-won't let me edit for some reason

Old 05-30-2008, 02:11 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,501 times
Tandem bike is a great idea. I used this when I was younger. I too have gone for a lonnggg time, but I haven't explored the interior of the island much.

I hope you take Star Line!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:28 AM

98 posts, read 511,928 times
Have you been to Arch Rock? How about the airport? That is very interesting. We took a few horses to horseback ride and they have the tamest of horses there, and they take you through the woodsy areas as well.

It is truly very interesting to get into the middle and back parts of the island. You get away from all of the commotion and touristy things. One time, we met some of the locals that live on the island. They were a treat.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 PM

695 posts, read 3,410,501 times
If you're there on a Monday night, go for a Star Line sunset cruise. The other companies due it on different nights (Arnold's are vesper cruises, with praying...eh) but you get some great angles on the lighthouse and channel light, and travel under the bridge. Really great.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:09 AM

9 posts, read 42,474 times
Thanks for all the great ideas!!! My kids would love the putt-putt at Mission Point, and I'm going to look into the Sunset cruise.

Maybe my husband and I could take a horse ride separately. We love to trail ride, but my kids would still be too young at this point.

My husband and I have biked up to Fort Holmes back when we didn't have kids. Do you think we could bike up that high with a trailer attached to the bike?

The problem that I am thinking about with regards to tandem bikes is that we have two adults and three kids and two of the kids could bike on a tandem with the adults. My four year old would have to be in a trailer attached to a bike. Does anyone know if one adult bike could have a child tandem and a trailer attached to it? Maybe I should call up the bike rental places on the island.

Thanks again for everyone's great ideas!
Michelle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan