Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 07:19 AM

12 posts, read 33,870 times

Advertisements

Have heard that Mich. is beautiful, ad as we need a break from Florida heat in the summer am looking for a cottage style abode. Maybe some acreage, but have specific criteria:
-near a nice, small town
-only a few hours away from a city with an airport
-not overwhelming humidity or bugs (have eough of that in FL)
-golf and water for fishing

-not too far north so that we could use it for a 'white' holiday and spring break.

I have only been to Ann Arbor and found it lovely, but too big and developed. I would like to be near a place with charm

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2008, 07:43 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanHH View Post
Have heard that Mich. is beautiful, ad as we need a break from Florida heat in the summer am looking for a cottage style abode. Maybe some acreage, but have specific criteria:
-near a nice, small town
-only a few hours away from a city with an airport
-not overwhelming humidity or bugs (have eough of that in FL)
-golf and water for fishing

-not too far north so that we could use it for a 'white' holiday and spring break.

I have only been to Ann Arbor and found it lovely, but too big and developed. I would like to be near a place with charm

thanks

I guess it all depends on what your description of a "small town" is. For me that is less than 2500, but for most of my friends that means less than 10,000. Personally I would lean toward the West Side of the State just because that is where I grew up and really love. Northing wrong with the Sunrise side of the State, just I am not as familiar with it. You could look at one of the port cities like Ludington, Grand Haven, Manistee, Petoskey, Glen Arbor. They all have golf courses around them and some are very nice courses. All of course are near water because they are right on Lake Michigan (there isn't a place in the State that isn't near water really). They also have some great rivers either running through them or close by. Fishing is fantastic anyplace in the State really, but I like fishing these towns best for some reason. Lower humidity generally even though they are right on the big Lake. Plus the beaches along Lake Michigan are fantastic so if it is a bit too warm, a short drive will net you a cool breeze and beautiful swimming.

Inland a bit you might try Gaylord, Cadillac, Boyne City, or Big Rapids. All have some good fishing lakes and rivers close with some really great golf courses. Heat and humidity will be a bit higher than along the coast, but probably lower than you are used to already.

Good luck on your search! My personal favorite area is just outside of Ludington. World class fishing, great schools, good golfing, friendly people, and a real "down home" feel and attitude. Some of the towns I have listed are above the 10,000 mark, but there are some really fantastic small/tiny towns close to them that will for sure fit what you are looking for.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:41 AM

550 posts, read 2,052,581 times
I agree with Petoskey or even my favorite cheboygan!!

You could have a cottage right on Lake Huron at either
I wouldn't recommend this particular cottage-but it describes the area perfectly! Cordwood Point Vacation Rentals .com - Cheboygan Michigan Cordwood Point Cottage - Now a Year-Round Rental

Or a cottage right on Mullett lake one of the states largest inland lakes
Mullett Lake Vacation Rentals, HomeAway
that cottage is actually right next door to my best friends cottage that they own

there are also many Other lakes in the Cheboygan area, Burt Lake, Long Lake, Black Lake etc. Michakewa Shores in Cheboygan, Michigan - Luxury Homes in a Private Community featuring Luxury Real Estate as a Primary Home, Second Home, Vacation Property, or Real Estate Investment - PrivateCommunities.com

Cheboygan is charming around 5,000-6,000 residents a movie theater, a historic operational opera house, beaches, restaurants, kmart, walmart, glen's grocery store and cute stores downtown...

about 2-2.5 hours away from Traverse City and the airport
about 4 hrs away from Detroit
VERY close to mackinaw city and mackinac island to provide very intersting things to do and see!
similar humidity and bugs to the rest of the state!

Now for Golf-my dad's favorite thing to do
One right in a cute village
Mullette Lake Golf & Country Club

The city golf course which is nice
Cheboygan Golf & Country Club in Northern Michigan

A famous course just out of town on black lake
UAW - 2008 Black Lake Golf Club

Within a short driving distance you also have a golf course in Mackinaw city, St. Ignace, Indian River has some very nice courses then Boyne is not far away at all!

Now for fishing-Cheboygan has some of the best fishing in the state-walleye, sturgeon, salmon, pike, trout, bass, etc.
Cheboygan County Map Tour - lakes - snowmobile - ATV - river - hike - hotels - motels - Michigan Interactive

Hope that helps

If not Cheboygan, then anything in Northern Michigan would fit your description!!!
Let us know what you decide!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:00 AM

98 posts, read 511,968 times
Yes! All of these places are GREAT. I particularly LOVE Grand Haven myself, I would live there for the rest of my life if I could. It has its beach/boating charm (its where the Coast Guard is, and the 4th of July is awesome there!) and in the winter, it is just *beautiful*! It does get kind of touristy, but not if you get a cottage down the way from the state park.

Plus, Grand Haven is only about 20 minutes from Grand Rapids. Which, I grew up at and I would live there for the rest of my life. I love it there, they have some festival or celebration going on every week in the summer. So, there's your airport.

Holland is nice also, its about 15 minutes south of Grand Haven. The downtown area is nice, and the state park is awesome!

Any city on the coast of Lake Michigan is going to be nice to have a cottage at. Its really all about what type of city you are looking for, and how "cold" you want it to be in the summers. You still get some humidity but it is definitely not comparable to Florida.

Plus, most coastal towns have piers to fish on if you don't have a boat.

Petoskey is great and beautiful. They have a pottery studio right by the water that I can't resist every time I go. (my mom spends about 200-400 dollars every time we go). They have great shopping, great art, and great outdoor spaces.

Torch Lake is a GREAT, beautiful, clear warm lake that gets tons of visitors each year. There is even a boat that sells burgers right in the middle of the sand bars. There are some places in the lake where you stand and the water reaches no higher than your calf. Its clean and beautiful and so much fun! So if a coastal town isn't in your budget, you could always check out Torch Lake too!

Good luck!

Old 06-02-2008, 09:33 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times
I live in Paw Paw and would recommend this area. It is 12 miles west of Kalamazoo and about 30 miles from here out to Lake Michigan. There are several small towns out this way with charm, Paw Paw, Lawton (doesn't even have a red light), Gobles, Mattawan. There are numerous beautiful lakes and golf courses and it's a nice place to live.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:05 AM

46 posts, read 173,871 times
I am a big fan of Frankfort, Beulah, Ludington, Traverse City (that may be a bit large for your taste) Glen Arbor and Suttons Bay. There are so many wonderful small towns that will fit what you are looking for. Traverse has a small airport and there are many beautiful lakes and golf courses all over up there. You could travel all the way up 31. Grand Haven and Holland are great too.

Old 06-02-2008, 10:09 AM

485 posts, read 966,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Personally I would lean toward the West Side of the State just because that is where I grew up and really love. Northing wrong with the Sunrise side of the State, just I am not as familiar with it. You could look at one of the port cities like Ludington, Grand Haven, Manistee, Petoskey, Glen Arbor. They all have golf courses around them and some are very nice courses. All of course are near water because they are right on Lake Michigan (there isn't a place in the State that isn't near water really). They also have some great rivers either running through them or close by. Fishing is fantastic anyplace in the State really, but I like fishing these towns best for some reason. Lower humidity generally even though they are right on the big Lake. Plus the beaches along Lake Michigan are fantastic so if it is a bit too warm, a short drive will net you a cool breeze and beautiful swimming.

Inland a bit you might try Gaylord, Cadillac, Boyne City, or Big Rapids. All have some good fishing lakes and rivers close with some really great golf courses. Heat and humidity will be a bit higher than along the coast, but probably lower than you are used to already.

Good luck on your search! My personal favorite area is just outside of Ludington. World class fishing, great schools, good golfing, friendly people, and a real "down home" feel and attitude. Some of the towns I have listed are above the 10,000 mark, but there are some really fantastic small/tiny towns close to them that will for sure fit what you are looking for.
I'm a Ludington fan too over the others mentioned. The only thing it might lack are the "numerous" golf courses that some of the other towns have. Otherwise, it's a great area.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:27 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,967,438 times
Personally, I think your best bet would be to schedule a vacation here and get in your car and cruise the state. It's all a matter of taste and there are certainly some good deals to be found now, possibly more in the SE corner of the state which is suffering from the states bad economy more than other areas, and there are scenic areas, that fit your bill within a couple hours of the state line. Good luck!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:54 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,289,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I live in Paw Paw and would recommend this area. It is 12 miles west of Kalamazoo and about 30 miles from here out to Lake Michigan. There are several small towns out this way with charm, Paw Paw, Lawton (doesn't even have a red light), Gobles, Mattawan. There are numerous beautiful lakes and golf courses and it's a nice place to live.
I'd like to second the Paw Paw area, Southwestern Michigan is nice.

There is also a group of lakes in Van Buren County called Sister Lakes. There are 6 lakes that are very close together and affordable. Everyone in that area is nice.

On Lake Michigan itself my favorite is South Haven, it's a little pricier but it has a great shopping area, it has the lake breeze and everything you could want from a summer cottage.

Old 06-27-2009, 05:34 PM

5 posts, read 11,635 times
Default Golfing community

We have lived in many parts of the U.S. and came to MI about 2 years ago. We live on a golf course that is about 45 minutes from the Grand Rapids airport. We are located about 10 miles from Lake Michigan and the great lake shore.

The best way to check this area out is to come up and play a round, have a meal in the clubhouse. That way you would be able to meet the people who actually live here.

Look forward to your response.

Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan