Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:28 AM

15 posts, read 73,072 times

Advertisements

In follow up to a message I posted earlier, I would love to receive some first-hand recommendations for accomodations (for family of 3 with a 1.5 yr old--no b&b's unless they are "family friendly") or other great dining experiences (all ethnicities of food!) and "off the beaten path" places you recommend to visit in the UP. We are history buffs (history major in undergrad and in law school now), so historical sites are a must on our vacations.

We would like to plan about 4-5 days while up there (not including our travel time to/from) and can take/leave the soo and have been to Mackinac many times and don't necessarily need to visit this year. I'd like to show my husband where my family comes from up in Keweenaw Penn., so we'll do a mine tour (my grandpa worked at Quincy) and Copper Harbor Lighthouse (which I've never even seen up close). My family is from Calumet/Laurium and Houghton/Hancock. Not that we need to visit those towns in depth, just thought it would be neat for him to see the area.

Thanks so much for any of your recommendations!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
If you are interested in maritime history, then you should put the Soo on your list and visit the Valley Camp. It is moored near the USCG station. Nice display on the Edmund Fitzgerald, and you might even get to talk to the director, who lead the the search by the USCG.

Last time I was in the Keweenaw, four or five years ago, several of the lighthouses had tours, and Laurium (I think) was investing a great deal in restoring its downtown. While you are heading up to Copper Harbor to see Fort Wilkins, stop in at the Jampot. This is a bakery run by Byzantine monks, and is the only place I know where you can buy both thimbleberry and bilberry jam.

While you are in Houghton, see if the Finnish restaurant is still located on the street facing the canal. They made the best pannukakku. And don't forget the pasties brought by Welsh and Cornish miners!

No trip the the U.P. is complete with a visit to Pictured Rocks and Tahquemanon Falls. You can always justify taking in the scenic beauty by studying the relationship these areas had with Henry Ford and Ernest Hemingway! Just teasing! And don't forget the U.P. is home to one of the world's oldest mountain ranges. Just in case you are interested in geography.

Last edited by MICoastieMom; 06-05-2008 at 01:12 PM..

Old 06-05-2008, 12:49 PM

Default travel tips shared...thank you!

excellent trips...you basically outlined our trip! thank you MI Coastie Mom!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 01:16 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Oh, I forgot to add that the Valley Camp has a wonderful book store, lots about Great Lakes maritime history and, if memory serves me correctly, general historical info on the area as well. Also, there are MI-DOT visitor centers in both Mackinaw City and in Marquette. Both are well-stocked with pamphlets on area highlights, lodging, etc.

Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM

75 posts, read 275,759 times
michigantraveler;

if you would like a nice place off the beaten path, you need to visit Kitchitikipi - Big Springs which is located just off US HWY 2 in Cooks. Kitchitikipi - Big Spring, Upper Peninsula Attractions Manistique Michigan

also, Fayette State Park is a nice historical place to visit. It is located on Big Bay de Noc of Lake Michigan. Located off US HWY 2 just west of Manistique and Cooks on county road 483. They have camping, swimming(and the water is COLD!), a picnic area, hiking, and guided (or self guided) tours of the old industrial area where they manufactured charcoal pig iron and also shipped ore from the UP mines to i guess areas in lower michigan. there are building left standing where you can see the actual furnishings. Fayette Historic Townsite, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

it's a wonderful place to visit and even though i was raised about 10 miles north of Fayette state park, i do not tire of visiting it yearly!! my family owns a small restaurant on HWY 2 just past where you turn on to county road 483. it's called tylenes (rosies). great fish fries on fridays... everything on the salad bar is homemade. my aunt is a great cook!! (i'm starting to sound like a commercial for them LOL).

hope you have a wonderful vacation up in the UP!

Old 06-09-2008, 12:05 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7731 View Post
michigantraveler;

if you would like a nice place off the beaten path, you need to visit Kitchitikipi - Big Springs which is located just off US HWY 2 in Cooks. Kitchitikipi - Big Spring, Upper Peninsula Attractions Manistique Michigan

also, Fayette State Park is a nice historical place to visit. It is located on Big Bay de Noc of Lake Michigan. Located off US HWY 2 just west of Manistique and Cooks on county road 483. They have camping, swimming(and the water is COLD!), a picnic area, hiking, and guided (or self guided) tours of the old industrial area where they manufactured charcoal pig iron and also shipped ore from the UP mines to i guess areas in lower michigan. there are building left standing where you can see the actual furnishings. Fayette Historic Townsite, Upper Peninsula of Michigan

it's a wonderful place to visit and even though i was raised about 10 miles north of Fayette state park, i do not tire of visiting it yearly!! my family owns a small restaurant on HWY 2 just past where you turn on to county road 483. it's called tylenes (rosies). great fish fries on fridays... everything on the salad bar is homemade. my aunt is a great cook!! (i'm starting to sound like a commercial for them LOL).

hope you have a wonderful vacation up in the UP!
great suggestions!!!!
Big Springs Kitchitikipi was awsome from what i remember-it has been years since i've been there-but it is totally cool!!!!

Old 06-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
great suggestions!!!!
Big Springs Kitchitikipi was awsome from what i remember-it has been years since i've been there-but it is totally cool!!!!
the clear spring is awesome and i love how you can see the HUGE northern pike in the water. (NO fishing allowed guys!!!)

Old 06-10-2008, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansoflake View Post
Not saying there are no pike there but I have been there many times and all I saw were trout, brown trout.

it's been like 10 years since i've been there... you could be very right michigansnowflake!!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:14 AM

Oh my gosh, Suz, someone else had recommended your family's restaurant! Your advertisement for them must be valid!! :-) Thanks for all the great ideas everyone!

Old 06-10-2008, 09:26 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
Default Some one is coping my name again

Quote:
Originally Posted by suz7731 View Post
it's been like 10 years since i've been there... you could be very right michigansnowflake!!

FYI, that was not me you replied too up there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan