Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,500 times

Advertisements

How about those empty military housing being turned into homes for homeless vets????????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2016, 05:11 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosit495 View Post
How about those empty military housing being turned into homes for homeless vets????????
None that I know of. Sawyer actually does not exist anymore.. It's all a part of Gwin and the surrounding two townships.

Old 12-24-2016, 02:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
None that I know of. Sawyer actually does not exist anymore.. It's all a part of Gwin and the surrounding two townships.
So, is K.I. Sawyer AFB now an airport or just an abandoned airstrip?

Old 12-24-2016, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscob View Post
So, is K.I. Sawyer AFB now an airport or just an abandoned airstrip?
The Government left the airport, turned it over to local control as Sawyer International which it is today. The runways are long and the concrete is the thickest in the world. The Federal Government still owns the land where the actual airport is. Surrounding housing , small factories , county properties have been sold over and over at cheap prices. Much is in disrepair and some needs too be demolidished When the AFB left they gave millions to the County ( Marquette ) for the transition. Developers took the money and left a poor little village that has had crime, drugs , and other things not typical of Upper Michigan.

Old 01-09-2017, 06:36 AM

2 posts, read 2,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The Government left the airport, turned it over to local control as Sawyer International which it is today. The runways are long and the concrete is the thickest in the world. The Federal Government still owns the land where the actual airport is. Surrounding housing , small factories , county properties have been sold over and over at cheap prices. Much is in disrepair and some needs too be demolidished When the AFB left they gave millions to the County ( Marquette ) for the transition. Developers took the money and left a poor little village that has had crime, drugs , and other things not typical of Upper Michigan.
That is so sad. I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer in 1965-67. That area was some of the most beautiful area I had ever seen. I have not been back there since I left in 1967. But, I have spoke to my wife many times over the years of how pretty it was up there (despite the miserable winters :-)). We have discussed recently, since we're now retired, about going back so she could see that beautiful part of this country that I have spoken so much about over the years. Now, I'm not so sure I want to show it to her. So sad, I had such fond memories of that area.

Old 01-09-2017, 07:18 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,283 times
Quote:
That is so sad. I was stationed at K.I. Sawyer in 1965-67. That area was some of the most beautiful area I had ever seen. I have not been back there since I left in 1967. But, I have spoke to my wife many times over the years of how pretty it was up there (despite the miserable winters :-)). We have discussed recently, since we're now retired, about going back so she could see that beautiful part of this country that I have spoken so much about over the years. Now, I'm not so sure I want to show it to her. So sad, I had such fond memories of that area.
Maybe you could take her on a Google Maps tour of the place first! If you think it's still as beautiful as you remember the real life tour could still be a thing.

https://www.google.com/maps/@46.3339...7i13312!8i6656

Old 01-09-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
The surrounding area ( Sands Plains ) for the most part remained as it did in 67. Marquette County is one of the best places on earth to visit and or retire ( that's what I did. ) North Sands Township where I live is part of the old Huron Mtns, rugged, heavy forested, and fantastic views of Lake Superior . Marquette is only 5-8 miles further north. Overall Sawyer International is about 23 miles to the south, off state highway M553. The typical flat sandy or swampy interior of upper Michigan runs east and west for over 400 miles. It's the areas that connect to the big lake that are mountainous and most visited which includes the award winning city of Marquette, the capital of Upper Michigan.

Old 01-16-2017, 02:30 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Ah developers, modern day robber barons

Old 01-16-2017, 07:11 PM

22 posts, read 57,346 times
Does anyone know what it is like to live on the former Wurtsmith AFB in Oscoda? Oscoda is there development better? Considering the former Oscoda base

Old 07-12-2017, 04:13 PM

3 posts, read 3,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vatefairefoutre View Post
living in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan sucks more than anything you could ever imagine. don't do it.

unless you enjoy living in the middle of nowhere and having teenagers complaining.

if you have to live anywhere up here, live in Marquette or Escanaba. nowhere else. believe me.

I grew up in the UP. Lived in Marquette from birth to 22. It was the best place I could have ever imagined to grow up. How in the world are you bored as a teen? There is so much to do unless you hate the outdoors, then you are screwed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan