Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2007, 01:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,708 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a position in Livonia and would like some opinions on the area and where a good place to live would be. I am in my early 40s, white and I am looking for good schools for my 4 year old.....Thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2007, 06:03 AM

106 posts, read 414,493 times
It would help if you said what size house you want and how much you can spend.

Livonia has a lot of nice subdivisions. To the west, you can check out Plymouth and Canton. Northville is a small town to the west that is very nice, though expensive. To the north, you could live in Farmington Hills or Farmington. It's in Oakland County, so that is attractive to some people. Novi is another good bet, but on the expensive side. Wixom, Walled Lake, Commerce Township, and West Bloomfield are other northerly options, but then you'll be commuting farther.

I personally would not live to the east in Redford or to the south in Westland or Garden City. Those areas will certainly be cheaper, but the schools will not be great for the most part. Definitely live in Livonia or else north or west of the city.

Last edited by jumpygh; 07-12-2007 at 07:14 AM..

Old 07-12-2007, 11:54 AM

50 posts, read 231,017 times
I don't know particulars about where to live in Livonia, but it has always had excellent schools, so I wouldn't worry at all about sending kids to their public schools.

Old 07-12-2007, 02:12 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,124 times
My husband works in Livonia, and we live in West Bloomfield. It takes him about 30-35 minutes to get to work. The schools are excellent here, too.

Good luck!

Old 07-12-2007, 03:40 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,199,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpygh View Post
It would help if you said what size house you want and how much you can spend.

Livonia has a lot of nice subdivisions. To the west, you can check out Plymouth and Canton. Northville is a small town to the west that is very nice, though expensive. To the north, you could live in Farmington Hills or Farmington. It's in Oakland County, so that is attractive to some people. Novi is another good bet, but on the expensive side. Wixom, Walled Lake, Commerce Township, and West Bloomfield are other northerly options, but then you'll be commuting farther.

I personally would not live to the east in Redford or to the south in Westland or Garden City. Those areas will certainly be cheaper, but the schools will not be great for the most part. Definitely live in Livonia or else north or west of the city.
This poster is right on, IMO. It's generally a nice area, you shouldnt have a problem.

Old 07-12-2007, 03:53 PM

999 posts, read 4,527,992 times
Livonia, in the area of Stevenson High School is nice. Churchill is going down hill in my opinion, and Franklin is below Churchill. Or depending on how much you want to spend, Canton, Plymouth or Northville. Plymouth/Canton and Plymouth/Salem are good high schools, all on the same huge campus. Houses are probably more pricey in Plymouth and Northville than in Livonia and Canton, depending on the area.

You can check realtor.com to get an idea of what $300,000.00 will get you in each area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan