Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2007, 08:53 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times

Advertisements

Mine would have to be (in no particular order):

- Walking the channel in Grand Haven and grabbing a Pronto Pup, then heading out to the lighthouse and watching the sunset

- Hanging out with friends and having drinks at the Idler in South Haven (although it has been a few years)

- Taking the boat to Dockside on Torch Lake (NE of Traverse), getting a spot on the deck and enjoying a burger and a brew

- Exploring M-22 near Sleeping Bear Dunes, stopping in Glen Arbor for ice cream

- Driving the incredible sidewinder M-119 North of Harbor Springs to Cross Village, then hitting Legs Inn for a beer.

- The eclectic coolness of Saugatuck

Anyone else have any?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2007, 09:38 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,288 times
Hands down...Old Mission pennisula! Love the vineyards and rolling hills with views of the water on both sides. There are places to swim by Old Mission Lighthouse. It beats the state beach in Traverse City!

Silver Lake-a good place for a family outing.

Ludington lighthouse!

Charlevoix-it's nice to see the bay filled with so many sail boats in the summer.

Emmet County-route 119-Good Hart has a nice public beach and 119(between Cross Village and Harbor Springs) is a very serene ride! Emmet County is beautiful farm country!

Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes!

Old 01-10-2007, 10:47 PM

146 posts, read 640,970 times
- Harbor Springs on a sunny October day is pure Norman Rockwell.

- Sutton’s Bay in May, baby (Wine Season)

- The tip of Old Mission when its thunder storming (eerie & ookie)

- I agree with lovin’ the Sailboats in Charlevoix Bay
(Especially with a Thurstin Howell the Third hat on.)

- Sleeping Bear Dunes (or) Grand Haven Pier at sunset

- Glen Lake or Torch Lake on a scorchin’ day

- Downtown Traverse at Christmas

Old 01-11-2007, 04:06 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,900,906 times
About two or three weeks ago, my husband and I checked out Western Michigan (Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Rapids). We were impressed, particularly my husband, excited to find something like where he vacationed as a child in Denmark in the US. Here are some pics of Saugatuck Dunes State Park:

This pic reminds me a bit of Gulf Shores, Alabama:

Old 01-11-2007, 06:15 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,852,535 times
Oh yeah, Saugatuck Dunes is a true gem. Wait until you see it in the summer.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:35 PM

841 posts, read 4,839,741 times
Default Saugatuck, MI

One of my all-time favorite places in Michigan is Saugatuck. It's a funky little town on the Kalamazoo River, with a lot of art galleries, ice cream shops, restaurants, and bed and breakfasts. You can take the ferry across the river then walk through the woods on a path to Lake Michigan. It's a gorgeous part of MI with trees everywhere and friendly people. The sunsets are beautiful, as are the sand dunes. I highly recommend visiting Saugatuck in the summer...it's a vacation you'll cherish forever.

Old 03-19-2007, 11:58 PM

7 posts, read 48,211 times
Saugatuck is awesome and near a great little town called South Haven, which reminds me a little of what Cape Cod would be like. It has great shops, awesome festivals, and is on the lake with a great harbor and lighthouse to walk down the pier. I agree that the Idler is a fun place. The summer is the raddest time of year there. The winters can be a bit lonely because it has become mostly a tourist town and closes during the winter but it makes it kind of romantic in the winter.

Old 03-20-2007, 05:13 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times
I prefer parks/outdoor activities more than cities, so here is a list of my favorite places to do outdoor activities:

-Warren Dunes State Park/Weko Beach in Sawyer/Bridgman (hiking/swimming)

-Warren Woods State Park in Three Oaks (hiking)

-Saugatuck State Park in Saugatuck (hiking)

-Kitchell Dunes in Ferrysburg (hiking along the Grand River with a great view of downtown Grand Haven and the musical lights)

-Hoffmaster State Park in Muskegon (for hiking and cross country skiing/swimming)

-Muskegon State Park in Muskegon (for ice hockey)

-Ludington State Park in Ludington (for anything, pretty lighthouse and shoreline)

-Nubs Nob in Harbor Springs (downhill skiing)

Old 03-20-2007, 05:14 PM

26,492 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Forgot Nordhouse Dunes....between Ludington and Manistee - Great Nature!

Old 03-20-2007, 10:14 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,013 times
Default Places

1. Fish Town- Leelanau Penn. Excellent scenery, wine, dinning, nature
2. Captian Nemo's Ice cream on a 95 degree day in S. Haven
3. Wilderness State Park Shore, completley empty
4. The drive from Traverse to Harbor Springs, and eastward from East Jordan, through the rolling hills in the middle of nowhere on 65

All great
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan