Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Michigan Residents make Pay Cuts for State Representatives
Should Cut Pay by 50% 10 43.48%
Should Cut Pay by 40% 3 13.04%
Should Cut Pay by 30% 6 26.09%
Should let them keep their over the Top Pay 4 17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 06:47 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,983 times

Advertisements

I don't think the word moron should even remotely be used to desribe the State Reps, it's a horrible insult to morons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2008, 11:05 AM

845 posts, read 3,271,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
In the Freep article it stated they make $79,000 I was under the impression they were the third highest paid in the Nation at $95,000 plus all their benefits. why is it that people who serve the People can't work for $25,000 a year like most folks in this State. with all the lay offs and buy outs why is it these MORONS reap the benefits when allot of folks are losing everything where are these people's safety net, But the people in Lansing could give a rats butt what happen to the WORKING PEOPLE of the State of Michigan. I would say CUT THEIR PAY, and see who well they do. The rest of us are doing it just so we can get by day to day. But like they say MONEY TALKS and BS WALKS.
Do most people in the state work for $25k?
I'm fairly certain that per-capita income means total income divided by total population. Not total income divided by working population.

According to payscale.com the average salary for a Michigan worker with 1 year of experience is $40k.. that's across all jobs! Not too shabby in my opinion.

So before you spread your populist message, get your numbers correct.

Old 07-03-2008, 06:35 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,706,419 times
Quote:
In the Freep article it stated they make $79,000 I was under the impression they were the third highest paid in the Nation at $95,000 plus all their benefits. why is it that people who serve the People can't work for $25,000 a year like most folks in this State. with all the lay offs and buy outs why is it these MORONS reap the benefits when allot of folks are losing everything where are these people's safety net, But the people in Lansing could give a rats butt what happen to the WORKING PEOPLE of the State of Michigan. I would say CUT THEIR PAY, and see who well they do. The rest of us are doing it just so we can get by day to day. But like they say MONEY TALKS and BS WALKS.

I still think you're missing the point that if you pay $25,000 a year, you're going to get someone worthy of $25,000 a year. Maybe what they are paid is too high, but to present an argument that the responsibilities, need for broad intellect, and leadership qualifications of a state representative could possibly be put in the same category as the qualifications of someone being paid $25,000 a year is absurd.

I'm sorry you're having a hard time and I understand that you're upset, but I just don't understand why you want people who are often working weekends and 2 a.m. sessions to attract renewable energy industries and guide an entire state should do it for a pittance. The problems with Michigan run far deeper into the geopolitical landscape than some government stooges.

Old 07-05-2008, 03:46 AM

7 posts, read 24,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankawitz View Post
I hope everyone in Michigan gets involed with Michigan Pay Cuts for all Michigan State Reps. All residents need to follow this check out TV2 news they have been doing a report. So ALL MICHIGAN RESIDENTS need to keep an eye open for this we could Cut the Paid that the people in Lansing get from OUR TAXES Oh yeah the Governor pay is on the line too!
Although I agree that the current crop is lousy, cutting the pay will only encourage worse. You cannot expect to attract good people if you don't pay for good people. The main problem we have is we term limited the few good ones we had.

It is much better to VOTE out the bad ones than it is to just throw them all out. What we have now is the result of throwing the good out with the bad.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:54 AM

262 posts, read 788,182 times
Ok here how I see it from a working man's level, the folks who hold a Office are most of the time Lawyers or upper business, Now that's fine in the private sector, Goverment should be of people who have the Country's best interest in mind, not their own and the people in their lifes, We are all American's and why is it that only at one time I seen Real Americans come together was on 9/11. Why is that the people who we Vote into Office don't stand up for America? I see prices for gas going to who knows how high, Yet our Elected Officals haven't voted for a oil refinery in this Country for 35 years or more. the Govenor talks about renewable energy, why wasn't that one thought of when she got elected? Then to raise taxes as we seen job lost at a rate never seen before, and we have had our runs at the unemployment rates of 7.4% and that doesn't count all the self employed guys and gals that do the jobs Illegals take. why do the folks who run this State wait to the last minute to get things moving? I would say that people in Goverment get the best of everything as a job goes, There are such high standards set by wages, that is all anyone thinks of anymore, why is it that groups that do Charity Work get so much more done then a PAID Goverment? Because people aint lookin for a pay check! We have some of the smartest people in this State and to some of them if there aint some monetary reward they aint motivated to help. I don't see why a person looking to work for the betterment of the State and it's people, Someone who would lower taxes to attract businesses to come in then this would create revnue which in turn brings in a bigger tax base because people would have jobs. we have lost jobs and all we here is who is to blame, why not look in the mirror and ask "What are We doing?" Windmills for energy Water turbines, our State gives no tax credits for these. I would like to build a windmill for my home but it's against city code? I am sorry I have gone all off in left field. I see these people who make all this money and we see very little as to what they have done to better this State, I mean all the roads are ripped up which we'll do this again in 5 years, We see they got the budget in order before they hit the roads to tell all of us what we want to hear. I would like to see them come out and say "I have seen so many folks have to take buy outs or pay cuts and I feel that it is fair that I take a pay cut to save the Residents tax money" but that aint gonna happen, So I guess I can complain and like I say and who really cares. I would like to see the people in Lansing work together as Americans for the Betterment of Michigan and the people who live in this Great State, We can turn this State around, We have done it before and We'll do it again. Good luck to all in the coming years.

Old 07-08-2008, 05:33 AM

262 posts, read 788,182 times
djmilf, I would go to Lansing the only thing is when I started laying people off and cutting their pay check to balance the States budget first the Democrats would freak out, I would start with all State cars and trucks if State employee needs to drive then they would get a smart car. so they couldn't haul their kids around, I have seen four or five State cars with kids in back seat. how is this State Business? I would also cut all Paid Holidays, and everyone would get only one week vacation no matter how long they have work for the State. Michigan could cut so much waste the State workers take for granded. Yeah I would go to Lansing and turn everything on it's edge and shake out all the waste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: