Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2008, 12:46 PM

107 posts, read 355,625 times

Advertisements

I was wondering how the job market for I.T. workers in Western Michigan
was and if so where should I start my search?

I have been trying for years in Michigan and have got some offers and the last was either earlier this year or later half of 2007 in Kalamazoo. (Which my wife said "NO" to me about, one and half months later I am out of job kicking myself for listening to her) Any ideas would be helpful.

Mark
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2008, 07:30 AM

845 posts, read 3,258,093 times
What segment of the IT market are you looking to get into?
That's an awfully broad swath of job skills.

I'd start by calling a placement firm probably. There are several of the big players here in West Michigan. I do not vouch for, or represent any of them, so your mileage may vary. TekSystems and Robert Half are both national I think, so with them you could start your search before you've actually moved out to West Michigan (by hooking up with a local rep).... that might help your cause. But I don't want to sound like I'm endorsing that... a placement firm has both pros and cons when you're job hunting.

You might also start checking mlive.com as that is the website for the Grand Rapids, Muskegon and Kalamazoo newspapers (the 3 biggest job markets here in West Michigan).

Finally, if you want to sound like a local, call it "West Michigan" not "western Michigan". Just a tip (when in Rome).

From where are you relocating?

Old 07-07-2008, 01:24 PM

693 posts, read 2,249,053 times
Default I.t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
I was wondering how the job market for I.T. workers in Western Michigan
was and if so where should I start my search?

I have been trying for years in Michigan and have got some offers and the last was either earlier this year or later half of 2007 in Kalamazoo. (Which my wife said "NO" to me about, one and half months later I am out of job kicking myself for listening to her) Any ideas would be helpful.

Mark

Your field and specific job title will make or break your job search in Michigan. (You wouldn't think it by my screen name) But I was once employed by the state of Michigan with the city of Troy as a Network Tech ( and while this isn't the area your looking to be employed in the trend i found is universal across the state). If your an operator, analyst, or anything that is on the far end from a technician, you will have a substantial chance at landing the job you want. Computerjobs.com is a specialized service if you haven't looked already. Of all the people I know employed in the IT sector, hospitals and cities/townships, are the best paying and most stable.
Good Luck!

Old 07-11-2008, 06:07 AM

Thank you for the tips.. I'll explain more later today..heading to work right now to Mason Ohio..

Old 07-16-2008, 04:40 PM

OK I'm alittle slow to respond but here is the scoop..
For the past 10 years+ I've supported Lotus Notes,Network operations,Unix and Osas Admin,SAP Administration and Windows 9x-XP and not to mention Deskside support which I love much better than Helpdesk.
Well this morning I got a surprise from Whirlpool in St.Joe!!!! then a second call from
AEC power in Bridgman both for the same type of job, AEC and I can't see the same
pay scale I'm at now..Whirlpool and I agree.. I just hope they decide to talk a little farther and get me in the door. This is the first time in 5 years if not longer have I heard from anybody there! If thing start to look good I need to start looking for a place to live for the short haul until I can get my wife to move up there..if that will happen with her.

Old 07-16-2008, 08:47 PM

845 posts, read 3,258,093 times
St. Joe is a great place to end up (working or living).
There are a host of nice areas along the lakeshore for living too.
Good luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 08:00 AM

Believe me when I say that St.Joe is my second home I truely love it that much, the town and the lack of people(Compare Lebanon Ohio to Saint Joseph MI) and you will know what I'm talking about. Land locked in Ohio or Lake Michigan moments away?
No brainer there!!!
Monday I should hear back from Whirlpool.

Old 07-20-2008, 08:39 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,686,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat View Post
Believe me when I say that St.Joe is my second home I truely love it that much, the town and the lack of people(Compare Lebanon Ohio to Saint Joseph MI) and you will know what I'm talking about. Land locked in Ohio or Lake Michigan moments away?
No brainer there!!!
Monday I should hear back from Whirlpool.
Good Luck!

Old 07-20-2008, 10:13 AM

Thanks I need it, I really want to be up there, my only problems:
1.finding a place to live for now on low$$$
2. I have a house in Lebanon Ohio that must sell
3. Wife refuses to pull the 16 yr old of of the school system for 2 more years
4. getting the wife a job.

I guess I need to work on #1 first and go from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan