Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 05:07 PM

3 posts, read 17,286 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the replies, sounds pretty much like what i thought. Where are the best areas around town (That aren't insanely expensive) to live?Also which areas have the best elementary schools? Thankyou very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 08:04 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,937 times
The best elementary schools are Old Mission (my kids went there and it's a wonderful school), Eastern and Willow Hill, although a friends children go to WH and it sounds like it might be pretty cliquey.

Old 07-25-2008, 01:31 PM

211 posts, read 587,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
The best elementary schools are Old Mission (my kids went there and it's a wonderful school), Eastern and Willow Hill, although a friends children go to WH and it sounds like it might be pretty cliquey.
I would concur with this ranking of some of the elementary schools and would add Central Grade as another excellent school. There are also a number of good private school alternatives available, as well.

Which neighborhoods are affordable? It all depends on what your definition of affordable is. Are you planning on renting or buying? There are lot of homes available for rent in the TC area currently, much more so than you would normally find. The competition as driven rental rates down slightly. There are also a lot of homes for sale (as there is everywhere else) and prices have dropped significantly in the last year. As a general rule of thumb, I recommend the west side of Traverse City as a good place to start looking. You will soon find out if anything in that area meets your price parameters. The Traverse Area Board of Realtors allows the public to search the local MLS system, it's an easy way to see what the prices are like in different areas. Go to the public search option at www.taar.com

Old 07-29-2008, 11:15 PM

284 posts, read 1,016,671 times
I grew up in TC throughout the 90's and I agree that it is a great place to raise a family, but again, very few job opportunities. I am a water person who loved spending my summer days by the bay or Lake Michigan, but that time is short lived in Northern Michigan. The Fall is gorgeous and if you love snow, there are plenty of Winter activities to take part in. Otherwise, you will find it to be very boring and depressing through the Winter months. Personally, I couldn't take the Winter's anymore, the poor employment opportunities and the far distance to the next major city. But if you consider the cons and work through them you will probably love it! A lot of big city convenience with a small town feel, and the city is growing quickly. It's clean and safe and all the schools are generally a safe bet. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 PM

38 posts, read 126,415 times
I Love TC also. We used to go there once every Summer camping.
Maybe we will move there if we can find decent jobs. Deep Snow in the Winter but that's Michigan. Get out your snow blowers and truck with the plow on the front. Buy a snowmobile or two.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 PM

258 posts, read 1,000,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBass View Post
Traverse City is a great place to raise a family. Decent schools and low crime are some of the positives. The negatives: low paying jobs, high housing costs and not a heck of a lot to do.
I have lived here for over 20 years now, having moved from Dearborn, MI.
There is a saying here "a cut in pay for a view of the bay", you better believe that is true. I agree with the other poster who commented on the "haves and have nots".
To live in the city proper requires a income far above what any service industry job could pay. I feel very lucky to live on the bay and work in town, especially after my years in the greater Detroit area!
Or as another put it about the pay, "A view of the Bay is half the pay"!! Great place in any event!

Old 09-18-2008, 10:54 PM

38 posts, read 105,100 times
Default Traverse city is just ok!

Traverse City, MI is ok! Michigan is a beautiful state! However, the economy there is what has kept me out of the state! There are little to NO jobs to be found! In 2007, Michigan tied North Dakota for the Highest Outbound moves out of state (around 60%). ( Don't believe me...google it!) You do not need a degree to figure out why people are leaving the state. I lived in Michigan for twenty years and it was fun, a real great place to grow up. However, I hate the cold now and being that there are no jobs only adds to the pain! Traverse City is good for two people! 1. A wealthy person who has a summer cottage on the lake and thinks they own the town and they bring their attitudes and baggage with them! ( I hate every last one of you! ) 2. Retired baby boomers who can hang out in the summer and go to Florida in the winter! If you are a working, middle class citizen, forget about this town because the jobs pay nothing and the town is very close minded. I would not want to raise a child in a place with no diversity. The only thing I miss about Traverse City (in July of course) is Lake Michigan, other than that...I can not think of anything! I do not miss the naieve politicians in Lansing, Granholm, high taxes, high cost of living, rude people, 6 months of snow, 3 months of cold and cloudy weather, 2 months of fair weather and 1 month of temps in the 80's! Any of you out there that disagree with me on my post, well I have news for you....your dead wrong! Why? I am a native to that town and know what is there! So for those of you who are offering sugar coated advice to peopl on this forum to people thinking about moving there, speak the truth and save someone from making a mistake! This post sounds kind of negative. This is not my intention at all. My intention is to tell the truth about this town so people thinking about moving there, can rethink their decision.

Old 09-19-2008, 08:09 AM

66 posts, read 236,341 times
Michael Moore lives there. That's enough to keep me from even visiting.

Old 09-19-2008, 11:36 AM

211 posts, read 587,894 times
No, Micheal Moore lives at the North end of Torch Lake in Antrim County. Not a resident of TC or even of Grand Traverse County.

I'd also disagree with the post several posts up about TC only being suitable for either the wealthy or retirees. There are a lot of younger families with kids that have been able to find decent paying jobs and are surviving very nicely, thank you. I'm 46 and have had the same job in TC going on 20 years now. You would be amazed at how internet commerce has opened up lot's of opportunities for people who formerly would have had to live in a major metropolitan area for employment but who can now do the bulk of their work utilizing the internet. As long as they have access to broadband, they are good to go.

Old 10-07-2008, 09:48 PM

38 posts, read 105,100 times
Default Setting the record straight

I apologize in advance to anyone I have offended on my previous posts in regards to Traverse City, MI. I said TC was only good for wealthy people or retirees. Now before I support my claims, I will say that to the person who said there are good paying jobs in Traverse City, MI.. yes your right! There are decent paying jobs in TC. However, it seems those jobs are few and far between! The people that have it well are doctors, dentists, lawyers, etc... After all, a view of the bay is half the pay! .. and if you are from TC...then you know exactly what I am talking about and do not pretend that it is not true! Yes, alot of young families are making it in TC! Explain this to men though, how come TC has a negative population growth as well as most of michigan? How come people are moving out of the state in record numbers? The unemployment rate is almost 9%! What is the current issue in Michigan? The Auto industry? The home foreclosures? Yes, it is both of those things as well as many other things! What is the main issue though? JOBS! There are not enough to go around and sad to say people are forced to move because they can not support their families! Not everyone has had a well paying job for 20 plus years in Traverse City, MI! Hence, that is why TC is good for retirees (people who can afford to live there in the summer and leave in the winter and wealthy people who build mansions on Lake Michigan and use it 2 weeks in the summer!) Now, I will say the quality of life in TC is great, but I do not believe most people can afford to live there anymore and make it. I have traveled all around this country, moved out michigan to texas and back to michigan and I am now in North Carolina! I can say that those states have their problems too and they will not be an answer to the problems in Michigan or some sort of "quick fix!" However, Michigan has alot of catching up to do, especially given the current economic crisis! Do I miss TC? Yes! However, being a college graduate... TC is not a place for opportunities for college graduates. I also will admit I do not know alot about anything, but I do know TC. Hence, that is why I am in NC. I do realize that everyones situation is different and some people get along just fine in TC! That is great, more power to you! Please... just do not sugar coat the town and make it sound better than what it really is! We all know, getting and keeping a job and taking care of our families is priority number one and Michigan...let alone...TC is not a hotspot for jobs right now! Lets be real people, and leave the BS for politicians! I hope I cleared up some confusion and if I didn't, please contact me in a respectful way and I will be happy to discuss this or any other issue with you! Take care and I sincerely hope that Michigan turns around soon! God Bless!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan