Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 12:52 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times

Advertisements

Blue is a good color for Michigan. For me, Wisconsin would be green. What color would you say Minnesota is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 02:41 PM

8,408 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyme4878 View Post
Blue is a good color for Michigan. For me, Wisconsin would be green. What color would you say Minnesota is?
Minnesota: Purple. Definitely purple.

Old 07-11-2008, 03:37 PM

LOL!!! I was thinking about Michigan and Wisconsin in landscape colors--but its their NFL colors too!

Old 07-11-2008, 03:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan61 View Post
Like the freakin UP is a pawn in some geo political chess match between the states. You will have armed revolution if you do try and do anything with the UP besides grant her statehood

eh?
Not at all, Bryan. Michigan would not be Michigan without the U.P. I always tell people that the Good Lord loved Michigan so much that He gave everyone a map, to each peninsula. And then I show them how to hold their hands to make both peninsulas. If your fingers are flexible enough, you can even get both the Keweenaw and Escanaba on the left hand. Can you think of any other place in the world that can do that? Makes Michigan pretty unique, I'd say. What I don't understand is why those "Say-yes-to-Michigan" folks haven't figured out is that this is the ultimate marketing concept! LOL

Old 07-12-2008, 07:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
This may be pathetic, but your question sort of haunted me throughout my daily life. My first instinct was purple, but that's obviously just because of the Vikings.

Then I realized that I think Minnesota's color is a dark / navy blue - somewhat like Lake Superior - while Michigan is a lighter / sky blue - somewhat like Lake Michigan / Detroit River.

I don't think the Michigan tourism folks build up the uniqueness of the Great Lakes enough. They always show the kids playing on the beaches, but I think a lot of people would be curious about lakes you can't see across, that have riptides, and (at least Superior) 30 foot waves that force massive freighter to take shelter in ports.

I know everyone I've ever known from West to East has said, "What do you mean you can't see across them?"

I have this great picture of a freighter getting engulfed by a wave on Superior - like half the boat is under water.

Old 07-12-2008, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This may be pathetic, but your question sort of haunted me throughout my daily life. My first instinct was purple, but that's obviously just because of the Vikings.

Then I realized that I think Minnesota's color is a dark / navy blue - somewhat like Lake Superior - while Michigan is a lighter / sky blue - somewhat like Lake Michigan / Detroit River.

I don't think the Michigan tourism folks build up the uniqueness of the Great Lakes enough. They always show the kids playing on the beaches, but I think a lot of people would be curious about lakes you can't see across, that have riptides, and (at least Superior) 30 foot waves that force massive freighter to take shelter in ports.

I know everyone I've ever known from West to East has said, "What do you mean you can't see across them?"

I have this great picture of a freighter getting engulfed by a wave on Superior - like half the boat is under water.
Yes, I think dark blue is good for MN--so many of the northern lakes are deep and cold and so dark.

I was listening to the Tent Show Radio Show (out of Bayfield) once when the host related a joke about a family visiting Lake Superior for the first time. Their first sight of it was in Ashland (WI) in the park across from Pamida. They get out of their car all excited, exclaiming how big the lake was and then pointed across Chequamegon Bay and asked, "Is that Canada?!" The joke follows up with the radio host saying he didn't have the heart to tell him it was only Washburn. I doubt its true, but funnier then he--!

Old 07-12-2008, 09:33 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,330 times
Quote:
Would you be willing to post it?? I would love to see it!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:36 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,700,997 times
Quote:
Yes, I think dark blue is good for MN--so many of the northern lakes are deep and cold and so dark.

I was listening to the Tent Show Radio Show (out of Bayfield) once when the host related a joke about a family visiting Lake Superior for the first time. Their first sight of it was in Ashland (WI) in the park across from Pamida. They get out of their car all excited, exclaiming how big the lake was and then pointed across Chequamegon Bay and asked, "Is that Canada?!" The joke follows up with the radio host saying he didn't have the heart to tell him it was only Washburn. I doubt its true, but funnier then he--!
Yeah - I had someone see Superior for the first time, look across the Marquette bay to Harvey (which is 4 miles down the road) and say, "It's not that big."

I was like, "That's still us."

I'll try to post that pic of the freighter. It was one of a series taken from the cabin looking down over the hull. Pretty intense.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Yeah - I had someone see Superior for the first time, look across the Marquette bay to Harvey (which is 4 miles down the road) and say, "It's not that big."

I was like, "That's still us."
Maybe we should start a post listing all the U.S. cities tourists thought were Canada! Really, how could they mistake Harvey? Did they fail to look north? (I'm trying to think of a spot along Marquette that would exclude the northern lake horizon and I can't think of any)

Old 06-26-2012, 10:28 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
If anyone is still around who originally posted this the town was called Newberry. I only came back to this as someone gave me rep points for it. How about some new posts to chime in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan