Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 07:42 AM

334 posts, read 1,497,989 times

Advertisements

Ok, so I need a Driver's license to be able to drive my children to school, doctor, etc, but I can't get a social security number since I am on my husband's visa and it doesn't allow me to work in the US under my specific visa.

I wouldn't be working anyway, but I understand the reason they don't just hand out Social Security cards.

If there was a good public transit available then it wouldn't be so bad....but with the distance between things here I am not sure how we are going to manage.

Has anyone else encountered this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2008, 07:53 AM

261 posts, read 780,640 times
Look into getting an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) this can be used to get health insurance and maybe ?? a drivers license in lieu of a SSN.

Jan

Old 07-15-2008, 11:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
I had a deuce of a time getting a Michigan license just moving here from California. My initial solution was to forget it and drive on my California license for a year or so. Eventually I needed a Michigan license to vote so I finally scraped together all of the various documents that they required. they are not very helpful or friendly a the S.of S office. Maybe your Canadian consulate can help you? How long can you drive here on your Canadian license?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
How long can you drive here on your Canadian license?
I am not certain, I know back home if I moved houses I had two weeks to change the address...but since I am no longer an Alberta resident I have no idea how long I can retain a valid license. Hmm, better check that out too.

Old 07-15-2008, 12:31 PM

Thanks, I will look into that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Horizon View Post
Look into getting an ITIN (individual taxpayer identification number) this can be used to get health insurance and maybe ?? a drivers license in lieu of a SSN.

Jan

Old 07-15-2008, 04:38 PM

302 posts, read 580,410 times
So how long can I drive in Michigan with a California license? We will be moving next month if all goes well with the sale of the house, I hadn't even thought of voting problems..... I may have to skip it this year. Downside- not having a say. Upside- not getting blamed. Hmmmmmm......

Old 07-15-2008, 04:53 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
As far as I could find on the States Secretary of States website there is no set timeframe for getting a Michigan License. It says once you have established residency. And that is as far as it goes. Don't forget, #1 item on the list now is a certified Birth Certificate if you are a US resident, I had to go pick one up when I changed mine from a Maine to Michigan drivers license. The list: http://www.michigan.gov/documents/so...8_222146_7.pdf And that is with a past Michigan Drivers license and the old number in hand (Once you are issued that number, it is yours and not duplicated even if you move away and never renew it.) In place of a SS card they will take a W2 or 1099 tax form with your name and SS# on it. You do need a couple of proofs of residency for sure and that I think is why they don't have a set 15, 30, or 60 day limit. The list on the website is exactly what they will take and if it isn't on the list, forget it.

As for documents you would need coming from Canada, I have no idea. I have had real good luck with the local office here, very friendly service and fast as well. But I am not in a big metro area either, so they are not swamped in the office from open to close either. If you call the main office in Lansing it is hit or miss on advice, but worth a shot to give them a call as well. Good luck.

Old 07-15-2008, 10:02 PM

Thank you for all the great advise. I will go check out the web site immediately.

Old 07-16-2008, 05:56 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Can you get an international license and use it for a period of several years? Our foreign exchange students were able to get the international license and then when they returned to their country transfer it to their own. They did have to visit SS and get some sort of number to get their license, drivers permit etc.

Old 07-16-2008, 07:22 AM

261 posts, read 780,640 times
When I moved here from the UK I was told that the international drivers permit isnt valid if you are a resident. Most insurance companies dont recognise it so its hard getting insurance with one too. After driving nearly 20 years I had to take a full driving test including the written segment to get my license here

Jan

I'm in Michigan btw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: