Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2010, 05:09 PM

275 posts, read 441,638 times

Advertisements

The aforementioned beef pastie. In the cup, just like homemade chicken and rice soup.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:44 PM

26 posts, read 50,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etaletclol View Post
Almost everywhere in the industrialized world?
Not true. Try living in Nebraska and getting fresh blueberries. Not easy. Try getting mostly unripened strawberries. Try paying a third to half as much for the fresh produce found regularly in Michigan. Locally grown produce costs more since it is priced against produce imported from Chili, Mexico, Washington, Florida and sometimes even Michigan.

As far as fresh trout Ha. I used to lie in a city in Michigan with a trout stream across the street where I could catch fresh native brook trout and have them for supper. Finding native trout in Nebraska is difficult. The fresh trout here are hatchery raised and mostly rainbows not brookies.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:16 AM

217 posts, read 591,310 times
Its Pasty...NOT pastie!!

Old 01-02-2011, 07:28 AM

275 posts, read 441,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
Its Pasty...NOT pastie!!
Thanks. Wasn't sure and asked my wife.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,407,878 times
I'm from the Lower Peninsula -- Kalamazoo / Three Rivers. I miss the fresh-picked blueberries, blackberries and strawberries that you just can't get in Southwest Minnesota (part of the Great Plains). I also miss Shawarma House in Kalamazoo - great, cheap authentic Middle Eastern food.

I've never had a pasty. I think those are only in da UP, eh?

Old 01-02-2011, 11:46 AM

1,399 posts, read 4,178,886 times
I think Pastys are one of Michigans most overrated foods, but hey, everybody is free to choose.
Now...fresh Whitefish, Lake Perch, Smelt & Walleye. Can everyone agree on those?
When you move away from MI it's pretty hard to find good fish, unless you move to another coast.
Vernor's is easily found here in New Mexico, but fish? They try, but it's still pretty sad.

Old 01-02-2011, 11:58 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tecpatl View Post
I think Pastys are one of Michigans most overrated foods, but hey, everybody is free to choose.
Now...fresh Whitefish, Lake Perch, Smelt & Walleye. Can everyone agree on those?
When you move away from MI it's pretty hard to find good fish, unless you move to another coast.
Vernor's is easily found here in New Mexico, but fish? They try, but it's still pretty sad.
I kinda have to agree. Its one of those foods where it depends on where you eat it. Sitting at your kitchen table it will probably be just another food. Now sitting at a small restaurant in the U.P....MMMMMMMMM!!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:16 AM

72 posts, read 150,016 times
I miss the deep dish pizza from Pizza Papalis in Greektown. And the saganaki at Pegasus with big chunks of freshly baked white bread. Bakalava from Astoria Bakery. Not exactly the best foods for the waistline, but thinking about them makes me salivate!

Old 01-03-2011, 10:37 PM

214 posts, read 724,766 times
I crave Coney Islands, breakfast combos, jet pizza, new york bagel, thai garden, the alibi....i could go on.

I do love the BBQ here, though. Ive learned many things from my neighbors and its been the best move of my life.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:26 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,421,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikU19 View Post
I crave Coney Islands, breakfast combos, jet pizza, new york bagel, thai garden, the alibi....i could go on.

I do love the BBQ here, though. Ive learned many things from my neighbors and its been the best move of my life.
If your talkin' about Tx, I agree. I lived south of Houston for awhile in the 70's and in the summer everyone was BBQin' or smokin' beef in their back yard.
The whole town smelt like a BBQ pit and a smoke house.
That's about the only thing I liked about living in Tx.
I may think of something else...but don't count on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan