Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2011, 01:05 AM

6,926 posts, read 6,551,413 times

Advertisements

I'm so glad I opened this thread!!!! I'm moving to Warren, MI in about 1 year and all this talk of fresh fruit & veggies, meat..lol now I can't wait to move!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2011, 02:02 PM

18 posts, read 29,489 times
I agree that good fresh fish are difficult to find elsewhere. I moved to N.C. (my husband is military-we're moving back to good old Michigan when he's out!) thinking there would be a ton of great seafood restaurants, but I was disappointed. The majority of the fish here is catfish and flounder and both are usually fried (yuck). I definitely miss whitefish and brook trout (my dad and I would go fishing when I was a kid and bring them home for dinner-delicious)

Of course I miss morels-my family and I would go out every spring to find a bunch to sauté up with some wild leeks-yummy.

Elephant's ears don't exist down here-I tried finding them around fair time and I think people thought I was nuts...they'd never heard of them...Funnel cakes are ok, just just don't compare to a chewy, doughy, cinnamon-sugary elephant's ear.

I miss Vernors and Faygo, too, of course, and all the fresh produce and cider mills, namely Uncle John's Cider Mill in St. Johns-we'd always stop by there on the way back from MSU football games in the fall to pick up a pumpkin, get some cider and a fresh donut...Mmmmm-we need to hurry up and move back there-I'm not sure how much longer I'll last down here!

Old 01-04-2011, 04:38 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Homegrown and made,,,,,,Fried Green Tomatoes.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:13 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,093 times
While it may compare to "southern" states...many states offer the same fish, veggies, produce, roadside produce stands, elephant ears and everything else covered...but they are northern as well. We found the same growing up in Western NY state...probably more farmers markets and road side stands. Tons of cider mills, and more grape vineyards. If you like the same fruits and veggies, you have to look at similar climates.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:46 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
Ooh, yes -- cider mills. Pasties, too.

Many of the foods I miss are from specific restaurants. Pizza from Buddy's in Warren. Homemade strawberry jam from Haney's in Warren. The Big Chewy Brownie from Sugar Kisses (used to be in Royal Oak, maybe in Berkely now?). Lafayette Coney Island in Detroit. Slows Barbecue in Detroit. Italian sausages at Comerica Park.

You know what I else I never see around here (Charlotte)? BetterMade chips.

Oh, and anything made by my Mom.

Old 01-06-2011, 06:18 PM

72 posts, read 150,068 times
I really miss Flatbush Cantina in Lake Orion. They had the best salsa EVER there. It burned down back a few years ago... I wonder if they ever rebuilt it. Sander's was the best back in the day for Hot Fudge Cream Puffs with mint chocolate chip ice cream. Ray's Ice Cream in Royal Oak and Erma's Frozen Custard in Utica. The Firehouse on Van Dyke for the bread with that garlic cream butter and the best baby-back ribs and twice-baked potatoes. Kruse and Muer in downtown Rochester for the best clam chowder and barbeque chicken sandwiches. Tubby's subs (especially with the dressing and a side of breaded mushrooms and ranch). El Charro Mexican food. Asiago Parmesan bagels with bacon scallion cream cheese from Bruegger's.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:25 PM

166 posts, read 432,839 times
I recently moved from Michigan to Fort Collins, Colorado. I grew up a couple of miles from Yates Cider Mill out at 23 mile and Dequindre Rd in Shelby Township. Hands down the best cider and donuts anywhere. I really think I will miss that next fall. We actually did find Vernor's here, thank goodness, my son is hooked on it, lol.

Old 01-08-2011, 02:21 AM

1,456 posts, read 4,144,186 times
^YES.
When I said "cider mills", what I really meant was Yates.

My local grocery store in Charlotte sells Vernors. I see Faygo here and there, too.

Old 01-08-2011, 07:35 AM

23 posts, read 40,235 times
While living in AR from 1982-1995 I truly missed Vernor's & Sanders. I had thought that fried green tomatoes was a MI specialty but they have them there too. I live in NW lower Peninsula and I STILL miss the cider mills because most, if not all are downstate. There are a few here but not like downstate. I really missed the roadside veggie vendors but we grew our own mostly. But there were some things we didn't grow that we would have wanted...

And the apples.....an apple a few days off the tree....pure heaven. We're close to Traverse City and I had never had cherries like that before we moved up here. I was born in Pontiac and lived in various cities before moving to Ar and I don't recall ever seeing fresh cherries. Oh, what I missed!

Every state has their own cuisine, their own foods indigenous to the area and I'm sure it's all good.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:23 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,429,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamallynn View Post
While living in AR from 1982-1995 I truly missed Vernor's & Sanders. I had thought that fried green tomatoes was a MI specialty but they have them there too. I live in NW lower Peninsula and I STILL miss the cider mills because most, if not all are downstate. There are a few here but not like downstate. I really missed the roadside veggie vendors but we grew our own mostly. But there were some things we didn't grow that we would have wanted...

And the apples.....an apple a few days off the tree....pure heaven. We're close to Traverse City and I had never had cherries like that before we moved up here. I was born in Pontiac and lived in various cities before moving to Ar and I don't recall ever seeing fresh cherries. Oh, what I missed!

Every state has their own cuisine, their own foods indigenous to the area and I'm sure it's all good.
In the 60's, almost everyone from my hometown(Cadillac),use to go up to TC and pick cherries every year.

Most of the families here in NW Oklahoma are home style cooks. Green fried tomatoes is a favorite here (southern fried). Not like Mom made in Mi. But good.........everythings "southern fried "here.
One think I still don't understand about the south is: "Fried watermelon" . (haven't seen or tried it yet)

Anyone heard of it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan