Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 09:32 AM

550 posts, read 2,046,377 times

Advertisements

they don't even really have Fazolli's out here-i know it is a chain and from ohio too i think-but for a fast food place i love it!
oh and a wisconsin thing, but you can get it in michigan is frozen custard! no culvers or anything like it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 09:42 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,946,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
i used to love olga's!!! i had an olga's card

No Vernor's here nor Faygo, can't even find Squirt anywhere!!! i'll be in the detroit area next weekend for a wedding i think i am going to have to find a Kroger's or Meijers and stock up since i am driving
Where do you live? Vernors is now owned by one of the big soft drink companies and I have found it out of state, but you have to really look for it.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapunzll View Post
Where do you live? Vernors is now owned by one of the big soft drink companies and I have found it out of state, but you have to really look for it.
i'm in philadelphia.......maybe in certain areas of the city i'd be able to find it, but i have no clue where to look! it is easy to get in the midwest and i know western PA you can find it......just not here yet anyway...

Old 07-18-2008, 09:58 AM

18 posts, read 59,360 times
Default Me too!

I'm a recent transplant from Detroit to Houston also and couldn't agree with you more. There's something about not being able to have those childhood foods that makes you want them all the more. I'd currently kill for a slice of Buddy's pizza! And don't get me started on cider and donuts - i just found out this week they don't exist in the Bayou City. I'm heartbroken.

If you're craving National Coney Island in Houston, try James Coney Island if there's one near you. Not the same, but not that far off.

It's not that there isn't great food here (the BBQ and Mexican are tough to beat), but it's just not the same. No Polish mom and pop bakeries, but I do love the czech kolaches.

And you can get good Mexican in Detroit in Mexicantown. I used to go all the time when I worked downtown.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:13 AM

3,735 posts, read 12,354,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soasis View Post
And you can get good Mexican in Detroit in Mexicantown. I used to go all the time when I worked downtown.
Do they call it Mexicantown now? Are we talking about the area that is around Michigan Avenue and the old Tiger Statium area? Back in the 70s it was know as Mexican Village.

Old 07-18-2008, 02:31 PM

336 posts, read 905,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
This is a first. NEVER heard of anyone missing the "food" of Michigan as it's the epitome of mediocre
Mediocre!?! Kogel's hotdogs, (with Angelo's coney sauce of course), Boston Coolers from Halo Burger, Jay's Potato Chips, Mooney's ice cream (particularly Mackinaw Island Fudge). How can you consider it mediocre?

Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
they don't even really have Fazolli's out here-i know it is a chain and from ohio too i think-but for a fast food place i love it!
oh and a wisconsin thing, but you can get it in michigan is frozen custard! no culvers or anything like it here!
There is a Fazolli's on Corunna Rd in Flint and a Culvers in Birch Run.

Oh....nevermind.....I thought you were talking about here in Michigan, but now I see you moved out of state.

Last edited by Tricia819; 07-18-2008 at 02:40 PM..

Old 07-18-2008, 02:55 PM

Mooney's Ice Cream!!!!
I brought my boyfriend to the big dipper specifically so he could try Blue Moon-i only recently realized that it is only a midwest ice cream!!

And yeah I live in Philadelphia-much of my family lives in Wisconsin, so I tend to miss foods that are either from WI or MI

Old 07-18-2008, 03:08 PM

227 posts, read 792,378 times
I'm in SC and I am positive there's NO Vernors here. People don't even know what that is. Although, there's a drink called Cheerwine here that I've never seen in MI.

Old 07-18-2008, 03:21 PM

Default Vernors

When my husband and I were on a flight to Florida for our honeymoon he asked the stewardess for a Vernors. She said, "You're from Michigan aren't you?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan