Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 07:15 AM

2 posts, read 9,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
I love the "Michigan Left'!!! That's one thing I wish we had more of here in the DC area. I don't get what is so confusing about them. They make sense to me.
Also, these roads with "Michigan Lefts" help traffic flow. Once you go through the turn around phase or just going right onto one of these roads, you go through miles of lights before you get stopped, unless the timings off on the signals...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
What is great about the Michigan left is the rule that you can make a left on red if you are turning onto a one way street. Thus, if you are turning left in the middle of the night you do nto end up siting endlessly waiting for the light to change on a completely empty street. I am not sure whether it actually saves time, but as long as you keep moving is keeps you from getting impatient and frustrated.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:58 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,941,545 times
I like the MI lefts much better than the lefts here in NV. I guess it is what you are used to. On the lefts here, you have two lanes that turn left and you can either go left or do a U turn. Can cause issues with right turns on red. Seems like an awful lot going on in an intersection at once.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:21 PM

167 posts, read 431,281 times
A Michigan Left is basically a LEFT HAND turn to a stop light/turn left or straight through only. I believe that it mostly occurs where a boulevard is present. Its not illegal. In Michigan you can turn right on red or you can turn left on red so long as it is a one way only street.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:26 PM

132 posts, read 460,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimba01 View Post
I like the MI lefts much better than the lefts here in NV. I guess it is what you are used to. On the lefts here, you have two lanes that turn left and you can either go left or do a U turn. Can cause issues with right turns on red. Seems like an awful lot going on in an intersection at once.
I like MI lefts too, they are very simple to use and they keep traffic flowing nicely. U-turns are common here in Chicago as well, along with every other illegal thing you can possibly do while driving and nothing is enforced. I refuse to drive around here. I will never complain about Detroit traffic again!

Old 10-19-2008, 06:15 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,056,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrthemike View Post
Ok, so..I just moved to MI.

I found out there is this thing called the Michigan left hand turn where you basically make a right and an immediate u-turn.

Now, the u-turns sometimes have a stop light. But, i've noticed, even if it is red (not blinking) people go...is this, normal? Is this..legal? (doesn't seem legal!)

the "left Turn" thing that you mention of is odd never heard of that. why does Michigan only do it?

Old 10-19-2008, 06:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post
the "left Turn" thing that you mention of is odd never heard of that. why does Michigan only do it?
I can't imagine why they haven't caught on in more place than they have. They work great. I have seen them in a few places outside of Michigan, but cannot remember where right now.

Old 01-04-2009, 01:38 PM

4,682 posts, read 12,055,024 times
So, what do you all that have more knowledge/experience think about this article,,, and the comments pertaining to the article

12/31/2008 - St. Louis County may go with 'Michigan Left' at Hanley-Manchester - STLtoday.com (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/stlouiscitycounty/story/CF0A3974362B4AA286257530000DF888?OpenDocument#tp_n ewCommentAnchor - broken link)

Its interesting when something new [such as round-abouts] come into an area, and its well-known in other regions. Kinda that our country is so diverse.

Old 01-04-2009, 05:37 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCaver View Post
So, what do you all that have more knowledge/experience think about this article,,, and the comments pertaining to the article
I think it is a well written article and explains it in a clear manner. The comments at the end that it will increase traffic and congestion are unfounded, and more than likely made by someone who has never seen one in use. It LOOKS like it may cause more traffic because of the U-turn aspect of the turn; but in practice it increases the number of vehicles that can actually make a left turn without huge back-ups and/or longer lights. For the one who commented that they were from Michigan and in 22 years of driving has never seen one, then that just tells me he never drove in one of the busier cities. After the first few times through and people get used to them, there is a giant improvement in traffic flow.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future Trooper View Post
Actually, according to a story on the ABC Evening News, Michigan Lefts are being studied by the NHTSA for eliminating accidents and quicker, smoother flowing traffic. Too bad we couldn't figure out a way to charge a royalty for every time someone in another state made a 'Michigan left'; we could eliminate the budget deficit in no time!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan