Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 10:22 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,281,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.C. View Post
For many years it was not allowed to make even a right turn on a red light. When the gas crisis and the 55 mph came about around 1973, Michigan passed a right turn on red and went one step further, they allowed a left turn on a red light onto a one way street flowing to your left. Example; Your are stopped at a red light, the cross street is a one way flowing to your left, if traffic is clear and after you have made a complete stop, you may proceed to the left onto the one way street flowing to your left. You may not impeed the flow of traffic in any direction. Essentially it is a left turn on red, after stop, onto a one way street going to your left..
You can only do the left on red if you are on a one-way turning onto another one-way. You cannot cross any lanes of traffic to do this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2011, 12:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanman13 View Post
You can only do the left on red if you are on a one-way turning onto another one-way. You cannot cross any lanes of traffic to do this.
This is not true, at least not in Ann Arbor. I used to turn left on red from Broadway/Plymouth onto Moore all the time. And I wasn't the only driver doing it. Not sure if there is a blinking red now or still a solid red as all those little streets (Maiden Lane, Wall, Swift and Moore) are now all one way and I think they moved some of the traffic lights, but at the time I lived there about 20-25 years ago it was a solid red. We checked with the Ann Arbor police at the time and they said it was a legal turn.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:53 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,349,956 times
Quote:
Here ya go. From Michigan State Police website:

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Question:[/SIZE] Can I turn left on a red light? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Answer: [/SIZE] [SIZE=2]MCL 257.612 (1)(c)(ii)[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]states in part, "Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after stopping before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or at a limit line when marked or, if there is no crosswalk or limit line, before entering the intersection, may make…a left turn from a 1-way or 2-way street into a 1-way roadway carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn unless prohibited by sign, signal, marking, light, or other traffic control device.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The same rules apply to turning right on a steady red signal. Unless prohibited, a right turn on a steady red signal may be made from a 1-way or 2-way street onto a 2-way street or a 1-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn.[/SIZE]

MSP - Traffic Laws FAQs

Old 01-25-2011, 02:45 PM

Correction taken. Oddly enough, it was a State Trooper who had told me that in the first place. Learn something new.

Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
Here ya go. From Michigan State Police website:

[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]Question:[/SIZE] Can I turn left on a red light? [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Answer: [/SIZE] [SIZE=2]MCL 257.612 (1)(c)(ii)[/SIZE] [SIZE=2]states in part, "Vehicular traffic facing a steady red signal, after stopping before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or at a limit line when marked or, if there is no crosswalk or limit line, before entering the intersection, may make…a left turn from a 1-way or 2-way street into a 1-way roadway carrying traffic in the direction of the left turn unless prohibited by sign, signal, marking, light, or other traffic control device.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]The same rules apply to turning right on a steady red signal. Unless prohibited, a right turn on a steady red signal may be made from a 1-way or 2-way street onto a 2-way street or a 1-way street carrying traffic in the direction of the right turn.[/SIZE]

MSP - Traffic Laws FAQs
But it does not say anything about not crossing any lanes. That is what caught my attention from the earlier post. I know of several places where there are two lanes that can turn left on red onto a one way roadway with multiple lanes. The driver on the far right crosses three raffic lanes to complete the turn. I have made this turn on red hundreds of times and at times even with a police car following right behind me. I do not think that there is a prohibition against crossing other lanes. As the quoted statute says, you can only trun left on red when turning onto a one way street. There are no other qualifications in the quoted language.

Old 01-27-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Correction taken. Oddly enough, it was a State Trooper who had told me that in the first place. Learn something new.
I should clarify this post, I guess. I meant, I learned something new. Years ago a State Trooper had told me what I had said earlier about not crossing lanes. MICoastieMom corrected my wrong information. What I was trying to do in the above post was to say,"Got it. Thanks."

So: Got it. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan