Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 08:35 AM

12 posts, read 26,628 times

Advertisements

We would like some information about Onaway michigan.We live in the downriver area (Southgate) it is nice but we are sick of the city.Our kids are grown and it is just me and my husband and we are looking for smal town to live in. We also would like to stay on the east side of northern michigan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 01:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,336 times
Default ?

ever been?

Old 10-25-2009, 09:19 AM

3,816 posts, read 6,447,728 times
Onaway is a tiny, remote town situated roughly halfway between Indian River and Rogers City on M-68. It's best known in these parts for the Brewbakers furniture store, which also has a branch in Petoskey now. Very close to beautiful Black Lake, and also has snowmobile/bike trails that go up to Cheboygan and beyond if I'm not mistaken. There are at least a couple good eateries there.....Woodwinds, for homestyle meals, and Manzanas Deli, which makes a good pizza. The Onaway region, as well as most places east of I-75 up north, is much flatter than the terrain to the west, and gets brutally cold temps in the winter due to its inland location. Many people that live there commute to Cheboygan and Petoskey for work. Very beautiful, peaceful place.

I'm certain there's others in here that know more about Onaway than I do, but that should getcha started!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:10 PM

262 posts, read 781,770 times
what is your area of concern? Are you retired and want to know about activities, churches and so on? Or are you in your working years and need employment?

Why are you looking at this town?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,144,742 times
My mother owns a cottage in a small town called Millersburg. Her neighbors are from Southgate and my mother is also from Downriver. Millersburg is situated between Onaway and Rogers City. We will drive there to go shopping etc.

You will get a great deal on real estate up there, even on the water. As anyone knows from MI, real estate has really become affordable which can be good or bad, depending where you are on that. The taxes on my mother's cottage are about 800 a year. Amazing cuss IM sure your taxes in Southgate run about 2 grand or more. I paid over that on our old house in Wyandotte.

Its very peaceful up there but very small town. The winters are brutal. I know my mom's neighbors up there, retired about 5 yrs ago. They loved it at first but now say the winters are too long and are now considering a move somewhere else. Bears and other wildlife frequent the property. Im a true city slicker so moving up there would be a nightmare. lol. I understand your reasons for wanting to leave the downriver area. Its changed a lot due to the recession. Good luck and I hope you find your new place of zen.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM

54 posts, read 71,803 times
Let me tell you to be careful of what you wish for, Onaway has never been a hot area and now it is on the bottom of the bottom. Every individual must find what they want and this may be for you, but there is almost less than nothing there. If that is truly what you want go for it, but you will not be able to sell easily to get out, rent for a while. It has a couple of gas stations, a low end furniture store, and a RV trailer sales that is going under, a couple of restaurants and that’s about it. You will be at least 30 miles to any town big enough to have even a small wal mart. I lived in that area for years due to family and will never go back. It gets boring looking at the same old pine tree year after year and snow banks winter after winter. Unless you really are boarder line anti social I would recommend Gaylord, TC, Petoskey over this Podunk town any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:41 AM

54 posts, read 71,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Onaway is a tiny, remote town situated roughly halfway between Indian River and Rogers City on M-68. It's best known in these parts for the Brewbakers furniture store, which also has a branch in Petoskey now. Very close to beautiful Black Lake, and also has snowmobile/bike trails that go up to Cheboygan and beyond if I'm not mistaken. There are at least a couple good eateries there.....Woodwinds, for homestyle meals, and Manzanas Deli, which makes a good pizza. The Onaway region, as well as most places east of I-75 up north, is much flatter than the terrain to the west, and gets brutally cold temps in the winter due to its inland location. Many people that live there commute to Cheboygan and Petoskey for work. Very beautiful, peaceful place.

I'm certain there's others in here that know more about Onaway than I do, but that should getcha started!
You could work in Cheboygan depending on where you lived near Onaway, but Petoskey would be out of the question, that would be 75 to 90 miles one way and even if you did in summer it would be down right impossible in winter. There is no direct way to Ptown from there and you would have to take 68 to IR than to Alanson and on into Ptown. Why not look near Ptown if that is where you would work? The property will come back if it ever does in this life ten times faster than Onaway.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:23 PM

2 posts, read 9,336 times
to be fair to onaway they just are slow to embrace anyone that's not from that area...
It's not fair but maybe onaway feels it's not fair to have nothing going on for it's self...

In most every area you can imagine you are facing zero to no options.... woman, dating,
fun, jobs, people being NORMAL to you... it's a ghost town..

things it does have going for it is the good people that are there are the best of the best...
You may never find better.... the bad stick out so just avoid but the housing market is an utter
joke.... due to the city making things way over priced for what's going on with the city i.e no
way even for townies to make money.... fishing, hunting, upnorth life everywhere...

IT'S A tiny fish bowl with locals that act like giant sharks who think they own everything cause they have a certain family name... ( the only thing they own ) but if
you desire to fit in.. <<< this may never occur for you... if you do try expect years for this to happen....

IT'S very safe... the out skirts are wonderful i.e the woods, nature.... if you love being left alone,
don't care about dating anyone.... and don't need an income it's THE BEST PLACE ON PLANET EARTH FOR YOU...

ON the positive... the churches are kind, the family life is present.... the laws do protect.. the
police efforts could try and get the kids off the streets and do more to stop petty crimes by locals
1. 1 law for locals, another for out of towners... <<<< famous truth... but they try and do their best... 1 cop but I know he works hard cause it's safe... he just works smart...

But all and all anyone is crazy living anywhere they don't check out or visit first....for the lack
of money and resources onaway tries... but it's very up north.. it's not an armpit like REED CITY..
but it tries... there's only 1,000 people if that and 30 family names so you must do the best to
make your own way out there...

THERE'S MORE to life that getting a deal on a house, you need income...million at least to really
relax and retire.. you find one dime in that area so LOOK OUT.... IF YOU ARE not set yet...
and word to the wise..if you are set..don't tell 1 person you are... you would be a target due to
low income, 3rd world country, no jobs reality...

Old 02-25-2010, 11:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,216 times
I am from live in Onaway. Born and raised her. I am strongly family oriented. I would not say there is nothing here, I fish weekly, and I am 30 and have been married twice so I wouldn't say there is no dating, lol. We camp, hike, bike, 4 wheel, swim, and enjoy the summer celebrations. The winters aren't that bad if you choose a house with wind block, thats the big thing. YES COMMUTING TO PETOSKEY IS POSSIBLE EVEN IN WINTER!!!!I worker in petoskey 4 years, and my parents worked there for 15 yrs. As far as shopping, yes there are somethings you have to leave town for, but if you go into the right store they will order it for you. Unless someone from Onaway says don't live here don't belive them, its a great little town with untapped opportunity.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:23 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Everyone does realize that the OP asked this question 3 years ago. I am pretty sure they have made the move one way or the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan