Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2009, 05:19 AM

29,445 posts, read 14,631,447 times

Advertisements

What is everyone doing with their mortgages ? I've been off 9 weeks now and there is no sign of me landing anything soon. I'll most likely try and retrain into another field. I was an automotive product designer.
Well after 8 weeks I FINALLY got my unemployment benefits, which sure helped.
I have tried to work with my mortgage company (first and second) about getting a loan modification. I basically was denied because I don't have enough income... go figure which part of unemployed don't they get ! So far I am current , but it is a struggle. I really don't want to go the foreclosure route because it's going to be pretty tough to buy or rent another home with no job.
I have a bad feeling that this unemployment thing is going to be a long term thing, expecially if I have to head into another career...
I'm just curious what other people are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2009, 08:37 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,742 times
If you were laid off, look into the No Worker Left Behind Program. You can train for a new career and the state of Michigan will pay your tuition up to $5K per year for 2 years. It is an absolute gift from the state. To not take advantage would be foolish. I was laid off in November and through the program I am training to become a Pharmacy Technician and will be done in mid May. A new career for me but I just wish I'd done it years ago. Jobs are plentiful and the future is VERY bright. After I'm done, I will continue my education, get my Doctor of Pharmacy in 4 years or so, then I'll be making $80+ an hr eventually
As far as a mortgage, fortunately we do not have one but in your situation, I'm guessing that your bank will be more apt to modify your note if you start falling behind. If you are current, they have no incentive to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
What is everyone doing with their mortgages ? I've been off 9 weeks now and there is no sign of me landing anything soon. I'll most likely try and retrain into another field. I was an automotive product designer.
I have tried to work with my mortgage company (first and second) about getting a loan modification. I basically was denied because I don't have enough income... go figure which part of unemployed don't they get ! So far I am current , but it is a struggle. I really don't want to go the foreclosure route because it's going to be pretty tough to buy or rent another home with no job.
I have a bad feeling that this unemployment thing is going to be a long term thing, expecially if I have to head into another career...

Old 03-26-2009, 09:01 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,275,208 times
Quote:
I was also laid off in November. We were lucky to have a little money saved and have been more than lucky paying our bills. We made the decision to sell our house and take a huge hit on the equity we used to have in it. Better than losing it all together.
I also signed up for the no worker left behind but there is a 5 month wait just for my orientation. I've been looking for work daily and there is just nothing here. It's sad when you make more unemployed than most jobs you find will pay you. I have a tough situation as I need more flexible hours or midnights due to a special needs child. Midnights was perfect for me, now I'm just trying to make things work. Best of luck to you.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:03 AM

I did plan on the "no worker" thing, I'm scheduled for the middle of April for the first seminar or test.. whichever it is.
The fun will be which career path to choose...

Old 03-26-2009, 10:00 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,742 times
Quote:
I did plan on the "no worker" thing, I'm scheduled for the middle of April for the first seminar or test.. whichever it is.
The fun will be which career path to choose...
The site that you pick the courses from is

Career Education Consumer Report

Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 PM

Thanks for the website.

And it is really sad that a lot of these jobs pay less than unemployment...

Things will turn around , it just going to take a long time and hopefully those of us that are unemployed can make it thru.

Old 03-26-2009, 01:49 PM

968 posts, read 2,588,733 times
Quote:
Thanks for the website.

And it is really sad that a lot of these jobs pay less than unemployment...

Things will turn around , it just going to take a long time and hopefully those of us that are unemployed can make it thru.

Dude go learn how to use Revit or "Building Information Modeling"
You'll get a job making 50k easily if you're well trained.

You worked for the auto industry? Its very similiar to UG and Catia.

Old 03-26-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crustedfilth View Post
Dude go learn how to use Revit or "Building Information Modeling"
You'll get a job making 50k easily if you're well trained.

You worked for the auto industry? Its very similiar to UG and Catia.
I will look that up... I've never even heard of it. That's the bad thing about the auto stuff... that is all you know. And I'd gladly love to make 50k now, even though it's a hell of a lot less than the auto stuff..

Old 03-28-2009, 08:25 AM

2,948 posts, read 7,018,708 times
Quote:
What is everyone doing with their mortgages ?
Got jobs out of state and make my payment every month.

Good luck to you. Its rough right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan