Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 05:54 AM

9 posts, read 36,984 times

Advertisements

Unfortunately my husbands Ford Motor Comapany job has relocated him to Avon Lake OH. My children and I now live in Jackson MI. Seriously do not want to live in OH. We hate to leave and have struggled thru 3 yrs of living seperately and have found its time to combine the family again. Love living in rural type areas with an easy reach to some type of city conveniences. Friends have reccomended Monroe to us. How is the country living there? Any tips on finding a house to rent? How are the public schools? Anyone have any other rural towns on the border I should look into? Been a very long time since I have been in that area and am at a loss here. Would appreciate any info you all can give me. Bare in mind I am a newbie to all this so forgive me if I make any mistakes in my postings..thanks deb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 02:36 PM

50 posts, read 298,656 times
If you are talking about Monroe, Michigan, that would be a bit of a commute to Avon Lake.

I grew up in Michigan and now live in Ohio. I think if you give it a fair chance, you'll find it's not too much different. Little less maize and blue, but overall it's about the same.

Elyria isn't a bad area, neither is Sandusky. Just go on a weekend road trip, drive around the area and see what you like best. Many realtors will even take you on a tour of the area if you're looking for homes, so you can get a better idea of what it's like.

Old 02-21-2007, 07:13 AM

9 posts, read 36,984 times
Thanks for your reply piggy. Yours being the only one in a month. We realise he would have a big commute but he traveled an hour one way in Michigan for us to have rural living we love. When he first transferred to Ohio we did move there to Sheffeild Lake. The children and I lasted all of 3 weeks before returning to our home in Michigan. The rent was way high for a cruddy house we moved into, much higher then our house payment in Michigan with taxes and insurance included, and we were surrounded by what I term ghetto. My then 11 yr old son was jumped 3 times in the period walking 4 blocks home from the school. My then 13yr daughters first hour of orientation in the middle school was all about what people to like and not like and what groups to hang with or not and what she could or couldn't wear due to gang problems. This coming from the principal of the school. My husband and I were shocked! And this was supposed to be the "good area". Now I will say I did see some rural areas but from what we were told by his fellow Ford workers most have even worse school systems. From what I could see most of Ohio public schools in the greater Cleaveland area are in dire straights due to no milleges passing in many years. This again from the principal of that school. So we are very leary of taking our children back to Ohio therefore the agreement to move to the border of MI/OH. So I am seriously looking for any information I can find on the bordering towns on the Michigan side. Help! please! As we are due to move at the end of the school year in June.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:17 PM

137 posts, read 532,538 times
Hi Debby. I dunno how much help I will be really....if you are strictly looking around the Cleveland-ish area.....However, I had lived most of my life on the OH/MI border....Wauseon, Pettisville, Bryan. Pettisville is a tinnnnnnny town but has the BEST school systems ever....IMHO. My brother went from a failing student, always in trouble to an A student there. The problem with Pettisville is it's not very close to anything, lol. It's about an hr. or so from Toledo. Bryan is a quaint li'l town. I don't know much about the school systems there. Wauseon kinda sux. But, Bryan is about 10 or so miles from the stateline, right down 127. Montpelier is another nice town....again, I don't know about the school system there either. Sorry if none of this is of use to you. I am a future Yooper myself....but, that's not becuz of the above named cities.....it's cuz I LOVE it in the U.P. lol. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbys_trip View Post
Thanks for your reply piggy. Yours being the only one in a month. We realise he would have a big commute but he traveled an hour one way in Michigan for us to have rural living we love. When he first transferred to Ohio we did move there to Sheffeild Lake. The children and I lasted all of 3 weeks before returning to our home in Michigan. The rent was way high for a cruddy house we moved into, much higher then our house payment in Michigan with taxes and insurance included, and we were surrounded by what I term ghetto. My then 11 yr old son was jumped 3 times in the period walking 4 blocks home from the school. My then 13yr daughters first hour of orientation in the middle school was all about what people to like and not like and what groups to hang with or not and what she could or couldn't wear due to gang problems. This coming from the principal of the school. My husband and I were shocked! And this was supposed to be the "good area". Now I will say I did see some rural areas but from what we were told by his fellow Ford workers most have even worse school systems. From what I could see most of Ohio public schools in the greater Cleaveland area are in dire straights due to no milleges passing in many years. This again from the principal of that school. So we are very leary of taking our children back to Ohio therefore the agreement to move to the border of MI/OH. So I am seriously looking for any information I can find on the bordering towns on the Michigan side. Help! please! As we are due to move at the end of the school year in June.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:41 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,198 times
I'm sorry I can't recommend anything (I was going to say Monroe or Toledo), but just wanted to say that I hope you find the perfect place for you and your family.

Old 04-09-2007, 08:40 PM

2 posts, read 5,565 times
I just saw your post and I hope you've found the place you want to be, but if not, I would recommend looking around the Lambertville, MI area. My brother lives there, and he has a wonderful home with acreage, an excellent, safe neighborhood, and accessibility to great shopping.
He also just has to go a couple miles to fill up his car for much less money in Ohio. I don't know much about the schools since he and my sister in-law don't have kids yet, but my sister in-law is a teacher and she says she would definitely send their kids there when they have them. The surrounding areas seem very nice too. Good luck!!

Old 04-10-2007, 11:31 AM

21 posts, read 133,133 times
There are many wonderful towns between, Toledo and Avon Lake.
I would suggest moving closer to avon lake so you husband does not have to drive so far. Also most taxes are lower in the state of Ohio.
Go for a drive you just may like it.

Old 04-10-2007, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 28,567 times
I think Tecumseh would be a good idea if you like semi rural easy access to city: Ann Arbor/ Toledo

Old 04-10-2007, 08:22 PM

286 posts, read 1,587,250 times
Default If Michigan living is a must...

I agree with the suggested Lambertville, but also check out Temperence. Very cozy little area.

However... seriously consider checking into some of the *other* areas of Ohio. I am a MI native and will always love MI compared to OH, but some of the smaller towns are fantastic! Good schools, good neighborhoods, affordable living. My inlaws are in Walbridge, OH, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second to move there if the situation presented itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan