Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
2,500,000 members. Thank you!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 08:27 AM

3 posts, read 11,389 times

Advertisements

Good Morning. I may be relocating from NJ to WMU. What residential areas, towns, cities should I be looking into? Any and all advice appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 10:15 AM

790 posts, read 2,310,018 times
Will you just be getting a degree there, or will you be staying there long term? Are you looking to rent or buy? If you plan to raise a family there, find out about the Kalamazoo Promise (free college tuition for kids who go to Kalamazoo schools for a certain number of years).

Old 01-31-2007, 11:43 AM

Default Western Michigan University

We would be relocating. Job offer coming. We would buy, perhaps an acre property.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:49 AM

15 posts, read 59,183 times
If you have kids, you might want to live in K-zoo proper and send your kids to K-zoo Public Schools re: K-zoo promise. Search for it on the net. If that's not something you're worried about, Texas Township is a nice area. Vicksburg/Scotts/Portage is good too. Vicksburg has good schools. Mattawan has good schools. Cheapest living? Wakeshma Township Depends on how rural you want to get. You could go more north, Otsego or Plainwell. Richland is a good area too.

Old 01-31-2007, 01:08 PM

841 posts, read 4,827,199 times
Will you be working at the University? If so, a good place to buy property with land might be Oshtemo. It's just west of Kalamazoo and has nice rolling hills, woodsy areas, and is very safe. I grew up in Kalamazoo and attended WMU for undergrad. I lived in Oshtemo for two of my college years and it was wonderful...very close to campus, very quiet, and very safe. I've since moved away but if you have more direct questions, please feel free to post or email me.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:33 PM

50 posts, read 297,303 times
Land is fairly expensive compared to other rural areas in the state, the closer you get to Kazoo.

Schoolcraft and Vicksburg are both very nice. Schoolcraft would be an easy drive for you, straight up 131.

You might be able to find something in that area that would suit you. I don't know too much about the northern part of Kazoo, but Allegan and Plainwell are not too far away.

Old 01-31-2007, 03:42 PM

Thank you for your responses. One child will be with us, in college and yes, hopefully spouse will be employed at the university. Would Richland or Augusta be near the university, how long of a commute?

Old 02-02-2007, 10:55 AM

1 posts, read 3,791 times
I grew up in Richland and my parents still live there. It is about 10 miles (~15 minutes) from WMU. Richland and Augusta are both near Gull Lake, although Augusta is generally a more rural area. It doesn't sound like you are concerned with schools, but if you are I would stay away from Augusta. Best of luck with your move.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:23 AM

37 posts, read 119,023 times
I work in Oshtemo and live in Portage, both are quickly expanding! Texas Township is a great area to build in, lots of new developments. I work for a pool company and we get lots of inquiries from people building in Tx twp and Kzoo, 49009- near Oshtemo and Mattawan.
I'd stay away from Richland/Augusta and Schoolcraft- the drive can be pretty rough in the winter, especially with the snow we're having now.

Old 02-12-2007, 04:17 PM

59 posts, read 235,380 times
Default Westnedge Hill neighborhood

If you decide you would rather stay in town to avoid the commute (Gull Lake area is beautiful but not always a fun drive into town in the Winter!), check into the Westnedge Hill neighborhood. I raised my kids there and its a really wonderful neighborhood: beautiful and varied housing, friendly neighbors, a real community feeling. I lived there in my [i]many[i] years as a grad student at WMU and it's a five minute drive to campus--I used to come home for lunch--I miss it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan