Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2013, 05:02 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I think there have been lawsuits involving the cameras in California where people have complained that the yellow lights aren't timed long enough (intentionally).

I suspect that the effect of red light cameras will be to make people slam on the brakes as soon as a light turns yellow and also to slow people down as they approach stale green lights. I can foresee accidents resulting from people slamming on the brakes for yellow lights that they should actually go through (which, IMHO, should result in lawsuits against the municipalities that installed the cameras for their having negligently made the intersections more dangerous).

I just hope that the ninnies don't try to install ticket cameras on the freeways since the speed limits (on all roads, IMHO) are far lower than what they should be.
I've noticed that several lights along my commute have been moved to the far side of the intersection but the length of the yellow is the same. One light is a double width intersection so I have to stop two intersection lengths from the light (West road near I-75). I've made more than one emergency stop at that intersection and still ended up over the white line. There is no way you can make it through the intersection once that light turns yellow unless you're already in the intersection and then it's iffy. I don't know if they're trying to cause accidents or write tickets but if you move the light 30 feet, you need to change the length of the yellow. I like the lights with the countdown on the crosswalk so you can anticipate the yellow.

I'm in the downriver area BTW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,615,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
I just hope that the ninnies don't try to install ticket cameras on the freeways since the speed limits (on all roads, IMHO) are far lower than what they should be.

Sounds like the perfect place for a speed trap !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan