Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2008, 11:24 AM

6 posts, read 14,332 times

Advertisements

We're looking to get married somewhere in lansing. Does anyone have good ideas about where a good place would be that wouldn't' break the bank? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2008, 03:51 PM

419 posts, read 1,396,734 times
Horticultural and children's gardens on the campus of MSU.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:23 PM

6 posts, read 14,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchinnd View Post
Horticultural and children's gardens on the campus of MSU.
would you know how much a 250 person reception would cost?

Old 08-29-2008, 06:41 PM

132 posts, read 461,101 times
Those gardens will not hold 250 people.

As far as churches go, try the People's Church in EL. They are non-denominational.

With a wedding that size, you will be hardpressed to find an interesting place to get married or have your reception. You could try the EL Marriot, the Kellogg Center, or the MSU Union. They would fit my definition of "breaking the bank" though. The Lansing Center is another large banquet hall.

You could also try some area golf courses.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 AM

98 posts, read 321,374 times
I had my wedding planned in EL for this year - we switched to Traverse City though - next Saturday's the big day!!

Anyway, we had reserved the People's Church and I can tell you it was right around $1,000. This was high bit it is beautiful! Plus, I was planning this almost a year and a half in advance and most places were booked already - plan it soon!!! They fill up very fast!

We looked at Kellogg Center and Marriott downtown EL and both were very expensive. The Marriott quoted us anywhere between $60-$100 per plate - the $60 end was cheap food and no drinks. Kellogg Center did not give us a dollar amount per plate b/c it depends on what room you get. For 250 people you would need a larger room and the minimum spent would have to be around 10K, maybe more - you would have to ask for more info on their room minimums. The thing I didn't like about Kellogg Center was the expense, the amount of rooms they had (there could be 5 other weddings going on at the same time as yours!) and the fact that some rooms were set up to have the bar across the hall - so your guests would have to leave the room to get a drink! I don't know, I didn't like that.

We ended up booking a room at Eagle Eye (it's a golf course) on Abbott Rd north of all those newer apartments. The room was great with lots of windows overlooking the golf course. I don't know exactly how much it would have cost there but to give you an idea they offered a chicken entree for about $18 per plate and a similar entree at Marriott would be about $45.

I hope this helps - congrats!!

Old 08-30-2008, 01:57 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,943,958 times
I have a cousin who is using Eagles Eye/Hawk Hallow facility for her wedding for the same reasons listed above. She lives close to Kellogg Center (and is an MSU alum) and thought Peoples Church would also fit her needs for non-denominational quick service. She chose Eagles Eye because there is an area that is outside, and an area that is covered if necessary, in addition to the banquet rooms. If you are looking to save even further~there is Lake Lansing Park or Patriarche Park in East Lansing. They have pavilions for the reception (you'd have to get a catering service). They'd be available through East Lansing Recreation. Other suggestions include the State Capitol or a museum, again you'd have to arrange for catering, but there might be someone who can refer you to clients who have had weddings in these venues before.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan