Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 08:18 PM

65 posts, read 123,043 times

Advertisements

whats coming? your agenda of intimidation and ruthless 51% vgilanti rule? What if the tables get turned on you, and the great unwashed win the vote and decide to eat people like you, starting with that finger you seem to love to point at people of presumed lesser status. Is that you version of creativity...your statist view of the world? It's really old hat,and has been vanquished many many times by those with a libertarian view of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 11:22 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,699,990 times
You want to get rid of government? So do I. I'm a libertarian. People need to stop choosing behavior that harms others to do that. Until then, we need regulation - whether it be to mitigate the greed of Wall Street that destroys livelihoods or the greed of smoking that destroys lives.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,283 times
THIS IS MICHIGAN! not any other state in the union. The residents of MI have spoken and we chose liberty. If an entrepreneur made more money by banning smoking then they would do so. This is basic capitalism. When the Gov. tells you how to run your buisness, it takes away from what it means to be American. Like others said: DEAL WITH IT! Plus most of MI is smoke free; its called nature.

Old 02-04-2009, 06:05 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Default Smoke free bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
I live in AZ, and It's funny coming from MI when you go to a resturaunt and the hostess doesn't ask for smoking or non?
Good ridance! I hate being subjected to smoke just because I want to go out to a bar, have a couple drinks, and shoot some pool. Hate coming home and my clothes smelling like smoke.

I just wonder since there seems to be so many non-smokers going to bars--why hasn't some one opened up a SMOKE FREE bar?

Possibly because it would be virtually MT??

If there was money to be made, someone would have SMOKE FREE bars..since there are few or none--demand must not be so great?

Ban the smoke in FOOD resturants. But how long B4 they ban smoking everywhere?

and yes, I am a non-smoker..

Old 02-04-2009, 06:18 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I just wonder since there seems to be so many non-smokers going to bars--why hasn't some one opened up a SMOKE FREE bar?

Possibly because it would be virtually MT??

If there was money to be made, someone would have SMOKE FREE bars..since there are few or none--demand must not be so great?

Ban the smoke in FOOD resturants. But how long B4 they ban smoking everywhere?

and yes, I am a non-smoker..
I can give you a list of bars/restaurants in Grand Rapids that are or have gone smoke free and are doing very well. The problem is that it's a risk for a bar owner to be smoke free. Even many bar owners will tell you privately that they'd love all restaurants and bars to be smoke free. It would level the playing field, and they could get the stench out of their establishments and protect the health of their employees. Or at least, any DECENT bar/restaurant.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:47 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I can give you a list of bars/restaurants in Grand Rapids that are or have gone smoke free and are doing very well. The problem is that it's a risk for a bar owner to be smoke free. Even many bar owners will tell you privately that they'd love all restaurants and bars to be smoke free. It would level the playing field, and they could get the stench out of their establishments and protect the health of their employees. Or at least, any DECENT bar/restaurant.
Why is it a risk for a bar owner? You'd think they would want to cater to the 81% of the population that DOESN'T smoke. If I had a business, I wouldn't target the minority. As said many times before, it is an education process for the business owners. Many of them don't get it. Eventually, they will realize the benefits of being non smoking.

Old 02-04-2009, 09:31 AM

212 posts, read 686,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
Smoking in restaurants and even bars - anywhere that non-smokers might also gather - should be a no brainer - ban it. It's a simple thing when you think about it. The laws are written such that if an employee, say a waittress, gets sick from the smoking customers, she's gonna sue your a--. Insurers don't want to deal with that, so they will force employers to put smoking bans in place.

Not to mention that smoke-free places generate tons more revenue than smoke filled dives. End of discussion.

Actually, here in Ohio your last sentence is incorrect. Before Ohio made it state wide, indv. cities were banning smoking. The bars and etc. that went smoke free were lossing money and fast. Esp. when a person could go down the street and smoke at a diff. bar or rest. Then Ohio went to a total state ban. Now everyone is back on a level field.

Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,203,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

Are there any BARS that are profitable and smoke free? Those businesses that are 75% or more alcohol sales and NOT food?

I just think it is more common that smokers drink than non-smokers drink--atleast in quantities that would sustain a bar (not as bar-resturant)

Old 02-04-2009, 01:10 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,271 times
Quote:
Are there any BARS that are profitable and smoke free? Those businesses that are 75% or more alcohol sales and NOT food?

I just think it is more common that smokers drink than non-smokers drink--atleast in quantities that would sustain a bar (not as bar-resturant)
That statement applies to lower income small towns which Michigan has no shortage of. In larger cities it is quite the opposite. Also, non smokers tend to tip better and do not leave cigarette butts all over the place or thrown them out the window whilst driving.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:23 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:

Sure. Founders new brewpub is non-smoking and is doing very well.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3251/...ab47e288e8.jpg

They don't serve a lot of food there, just sandwiches. Most of the new "hip" bars in Grand Rapids are non-smoking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan