Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 09:14 AM

21 posts, read 83,284 times

Advertisements

WELL....AND THE RESULTS ARE IN...I BEAT THE TICKET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
For all of you who have been following my posts, on October 6th I received a ticket for following a police officer too closely in Taylor. This morning was my court date and the officer was there. We both testified and to my surprise the officer lied when he testified. When the judge questioned him about it he sort of stammered and admitted that what I said was true. Since the facts were in dispute and my driving record is clean the judge dismissed it. I came equipped with the law (much to the judges surprise ), I was very articulate, and I was dressed very businesslike in a black suit with my leather case (nobody else had a suit on which I found odd). I know a lot of people doubted my story and felt like I was lying or whining, but the fact of the matter is this judge BELIEVED what I said and in his reason and experience felt that I was not responsible. I am SO happy and as a future attorney I was VERY proud of myself and cannot wait until I can represent clients. That was so exciting!!!!!

See Ya!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 09:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBA_Mom View Post
For all of you who have been following my posts, on October 6th I received a ticket for following a police officer too closely in Taylor. This morning was my court date and the officer was there. We both testified and to my surprise the officer lied when he testified. When the judge questioned him about it he sort of stammered and admitted that what I said was true. Since the facts were in dispute and my driving record is clean the judge dismissed it. I came equipped with the law (much to the judges surprise ), I was very articulate, and I was dressed very businesslike in a black suit with my leather case (nobody else had a suit on which I found odd). I know a lot of people doubted my story and felt like I was lying or whining, but the fact of the matter is this judge BELIEVED what I said and in his reason and experience felt that I was not responsible. I am SO happy and as a future attorney I was VERY proud of myself and cannot wait until I can represent clients. That was so exciting!!!!!

See Ya!

Good for you!! Sounds like you came professional and prepared. Doesn't matter what anybody else might have thought (myself included), the Judge is the only one who counts (Other than yourself that is ) I was wondering how you made out, thanks for the update.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:35 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:

See Ya!
Way to go!!!!!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:14 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,426,436 times
Quote:

See Ya!
Congrats!..MBA Mom.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:49 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
Great job!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 PM

THANKS EVERYONE!!! Hopefully, you guys won't see me on here again...at least not bitching about traffic tickets. Feel free to look me up in a couple years for legal advice ....I'll give you guys a discount

Old 12-03-2008, 08:17 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times
Quote:
THANKS EVERYONE!!! Hopefully, you guys won't see me on here again...at least not bitching about traffic tickets. Feel free to look me up in a couple years for legal advice ....I'll give you guys a discount
Deal!!! Best of luck!!!!!

Old 12-04-2008, 09:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Hopefully we WILL see you around here though. Another well spoken, level-headed person is always a welcome addition to any forum. Might have gotten off on the wrong foot with you here, but really hope to read more of your thoughts on different things.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:51 PM

9,414 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Congrats, MBAmom.

If you've ever watched the TV show Speeders Fight Back!, or whatever they call it, most of those folks go into court with an attitude, little preparation, less logic, guilty, and frankly many of them aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer.

I saw a 26-y-o single mother yesterday who maintained she was unfairly targeted (the pack was all speeding, she was the unlucky antelope the lions picked out), and besides she's a single mom and it's a proven fact (she presented a blow-up of an article saying that) that single mothers are stressed out so she shouldn't be held responsible for her speeding.

The judge turned her down, as she should have. She said, "So single mothers shouldn't be driving?"

People unfaily ticketed should fight them.

BTW, a safe distance at any speed is two seconds back, three+ seconds at higher speeds, if your reactions are not quick, or you drive distracted.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:28 AM

Thanks!!! You are correct in saying that many people are not prepared and walk into court with a bad attitude towards the judge/magistrate. I was just about the last person to go so I was able to see everyone else in the courtroom make their case. As I mentioned in my other post, NOBODY was dressed appropriate which was a HUGE surprise. Most of the people didn't address the judge as "your honor"...another huge mistake, and most people couldn't articulate why the ticket should be dismissed. Out of the whole experience I told my husband that when I graduate and pass the bar I want to create some type of free class dedicated to teaching courtroom etiquette and how to present your case. You may not always win, but I strongly feel that presentation is a BIG part of it. The fact of the matter is some people are ticketed unfairly and they lose b/c they don't know how to articulate their argument and they don't know how to act in a court of law. Watching a few episodes of law and order just won't do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan