Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 09:13 AM

845 posts, read 3,270,925 times

Advertisements

If you're looking for older homes that have character and you'll be working in Detroit (like in Detroit City) then the Grosse Pointes are a great option.

Wonderful little towns, great schools and easy access to the city of Detroit. You cannot go wrong in Grosse Pointe.

If you've already looked at prices in Grosse Pointe and weren't scared off, don't want to saddle yourself with a long commute, and insist on superior public schools the only other place I'd personally look is Birmingham.

If you don't mind a longer commute, the city of Rochester also has great older homes and good schools.

If you're more of a private school type and want older homes, Royal Oak is awesome, Berkeley and Ferndale have nice spots too.

Much further than that and a commute to the city of detroit is bordering on an hour. If you get that far, Ann Arbor is the nicest city in Michigan and you could just live there and commute (about 45 minutes to downtown Detroit).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2007, 09:24 AM

418 posts, read 1,784,748 times
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I absolutely loved Grosse Pointe, and the houses were much more my style. But my husband's office is in Livonia, and the commute was going to be just too long for him.

We ended up buying a house in West Bloomfield. It isn't the house of my dreams, as the ones in Grosse Pointe were, but it is nice. We will only be living in MI for a few years, so I figure I can live with anything for that time frame.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Old 05-19-2007, 07:39 PM

26 posts, read 112,988 times
Default Grosse Pointe is fabulous!

Grosse Pointe is a wonderful place to live- especially if you want to be near a large and beautiful lake! We moved here from Atlanta several years ago and we heard the same stories you mention and they are just not true. I feel VERY safe here. You can go to Kroger or Target without fear! I have heard of incidents at the Gratiot Target, but that is 20 minutes from Grosse Pointe. We have a very capable police force in Grosse Pointe and terrific city services. Much better than other towns where we have lived in the past. We lived in Troy years ago and I would not go back there for anything. I can't imagine anyone not wanting to live here nor feeling unsafe here. I believe there has been only one murder here in over 30 years and the murderer was caught rather quickly by our very capable police force. I don't think that is such a bad record. Grosse Pointe is a rare find in today's world. Give it a try!

Old 05-20-2007, 04:31 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,744,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by galex213 View Post

However, if you are looking for ethnic diversity, you will not find it in Grosse Pointe. This is Grosse Pointe's one weak point.
Many many people would disagree. They would say that is exactly the reason that Gross Pointe has remained such a beautiful place, while just across the border in Detroit it's in shambles.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:00 PM

9 posts, read 33,894 times
I have been reading as many forums/posts/info on the Grosse Pointe area - as we are thinking of moving to the area. My husband will actually be working at Selfridge ANGB (just north of St Clair Shores) - and am realllly hoping that it (the GP area) is all that I am reading.

However, in the areas of the GP's...are there areas within the pointes that are "not desirable?". I know its all in the matter of opinion - but, I am asking for anyone who has lived there (tudorhouse??)
Thank you in advance!

Old 11-29-2007, 07:34 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,755,918 times
The only Pointe I would avoid due to neighborhood "decline" is Grosse Pointe Park. Grosse Pointe Woods are fine, if very subdivisiony in spots; the City Of is fine, with a lot of the kind of houses you're looking for; Grosse Pointe Shores are priced out of sight but the houses are dang nice; Grosse Pointe Farms includes the best elements of all the other Grosse Pointes. Windmill Point, where the brain surgeons and stuff live, is super pricey but the houses are lovely.

But: the school systems are loaded with drugs and youthful malefactors because their parents tend to have too much money and not enough time with their kids; and the people in general are breathtakingly rude, hostile and unfriendly. You might be happier in Eastpointe (formerly East Detroit).

Old 11-29-2007, 09:01 AM

8 posts, read 54,941 times
Default Reply to MovingtoSEMi

We live in the Park; and we like the Park. Please ignore posts that say
the Park is in decline. They're building brand new townhouses right at Jefferson and Lakeland. Because of the housing market, you will find
foreclosed (empty) houses here and there -- but that holds true for all of Southeast Michigan right now. The people on Pemberton and Barrington tend
to get together often, which is nice.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:31 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
The only Pointe I would avoid due to neighborhood "decline" is Grosse Pointe Park. Grosse Pointe Woods are fine, if very subdivisiony in spots; the City Of is fine, with a lot of the kind of houses you're looking for; Grosse Pointe Shores are priced out of sight but the houses are dang nice; Grosse Pointe Farms includes the best elements of all the other Grosse Pointes. Windmill Point, where the brain surgeons and stuff live, is super pricey but the houses are lovely.

But: the school systems are loaded with drugs and youthful malefactors because their parents tend to have too much money and not enough time with their kids; and the people in general are breathtakingly rude, hostile and unfriendly. You might be happier in Eastpointe (formerly East Detroit).
Wow someone sure sounds bitter....maybe jealous??
In the Pointes it is common for people to draw lines as to areas they would choose to live in. For instance in the Park some people do not want to live on the 1400 block (the first off Mack), some will only live south of Jefferson, etc. Others will only consider particular Pointe cities. I love the Park and can't wait to live there again! I lived on three different streets and some were closer knit than others. If you find a house you like ask the owners and neighbors. If you are into that sort of thing some have regular block parties and the neighbors all know each other. The biggest problem I ever experienced was property crime. For instance if you leave your garage open your snowblower or bike might "walk" off. Keep your doors locked, no problem! The police do a great job.
Since your husband will be at Selfridge you may want to consider the Woods just because it is the furthest north and you can get easy freeway access. The Woods tends to have newer (by GP standards) homes. There are a huge range of prices based on the size and quality of the homes. Usually the closer to the water the higher the prices. It is still about 20 miles from SANGB but you should be going the opposite direction of most traffic.
If schools are a factor there is a small area of Harper Woods that is in the GP school district. Eastpointe is nothing like Grosse Pointe, it is another area with a different school district and city services.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:21 PM

52 posts, read 292,351 times
I grew up in Grosse Pointe Park, Graduated from GP South in 1997. I loved growing up there, however I would not considering moving back, nor raising my children there. The schools are top notch, I think I received a great education. GP High Schools do have a lot of drugs, most of my peers were on drugs, smoking, drinking, partying a lot. Some were in rehab often and missed a lot of school. I am african american, and experienced a lot of racism, not from my friends, but from their parents and school officials.

GP is a beautiful area, but I don't like the ruff eastside of Detroit, it's so ugly down Jefferson until you reach GP. There is also a lack of community activities. One good thing I loved about GP, when you call the police, ambulance, etc. They are there in 2 minutes. We often had bums coming into the city from Detroit emptying our recycling bins, tearing up the trash, and at times looking for opportunies to steal something.

If you decide to move to GP, please take your time and consider other areas as well.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:35 AM

9 posts, read 33,894 times
thank you so much for all your posts! Although, I will be taking some of them with grain a of salt. We are taking a trip in the next few weeks to just scout out the area soon & we will feel the area out. We have looked at homes on Barrington & Pemberton - so, it was nice to see a post about those 2 streets in particular. However, I also found one on corner of Jefferson/Yorkshire that was in our price range only to find out that the taxes were over $20k ... what is that all about?! It was on a double lot so I figured that was the reason...wow.

princessemichigan - so sorry to hear that you wouldnt consider going back. however, I, too would not go back to where I grew up (Annapolis, MD) either...those feelings you get while so young/impressionable are hard to shake. We are going to be living in the southeast Michigan area...where would you want to raise your children & why?

And, in regards to the 1400 block off of Mack - why is that? Is Mack a busy, icky road? I have never even been to Michigan so I am clueless & am certain once I visit - I will be much easier! Again - thank you all for helping me with this huge decision!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan