U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 09:28 PM

926 posts, read 2,584,968 times

Advertisements

I just had to say that lol
To all you people in Michigan- native or not- I love your state!
It is SO beautiful and I can't wait till I can move up there and claim it as my own- I have dreams of my future Michigan sunset liscence plate

When I was growing up my uncle had a HUGE estate in St. Joe and we would drive up from Chicago and spend weekends there swimming in the pool, horseback riding or picking peaches and apples from the trees. At night we would stay out on the rooftop deck gazing at the BEAUTIFUL sky. This was probably my first time seeing the sky unspoiled by city lights, Ive never seen so many stars since then

Then when I was in college my boyfriend was attending Kettering University and I would take the train/drive/fly up to Flint from Champaign, IL where I was attending school and the trip would be so beautiful passing all the land and trees changing colors and the serene nature only Michigan has. I loved ordering Hungry Howies pizza for delivery to the dorms (and later to his apartments). I enjoyed coming down to Detroit for Pistons games or going to Windsor for parties and Boca burgers from McDonalds lol. And DTW is the best airport in the US- its like a mini city!

Earlier this summer for two months my job had me going to Muskegon on Mondays and seeing Lake Michigan from the other side was breathtaking. And on Tuesdays through Thursdays I was in Madison Heights and I discovered more love for Detroit and its surrounding areas. The zoo is so nice, downtowns skyline rivals that of Chicago, Lim's Chinese is the best and Sommerset (sp) mall in Birmingham is the best mall IN THE USA!

Now I only come to Michigan for layovers on my way to Chicago, Milwaukee or Minneapolis but it is just enough to give me that "high" that lasts all the way until I return

Though I was born and raised in Chicago, my heart and soul is in Michigan and I cant wait till my job allows me to transfer and move to this beautiful state. I've been looking at moving to Detroit, the suburbs of Detroit, Ann Arbor or Kalamazoo. And I know my husband is somewhere in one of these cities waiting for me because no matter where I go I ALWAYS manage to find the Michigan men lol. When I first moved to Cincinnati, my first friend and date was a guy who just moved from Detroit lol. Since then, in all my travels all over the US (my job is 100% travel), the men I have met and been attracted to have all come from Michigan- its SCARY lol. To me, thats fate and I cant wait for my destiny to begin

I didnt mean for this to be so long but I see all these post bashing Michigan and people eager to leave, and some are for just reasons, but I just wanted to leave a positive note- I cant wait to come
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,493,164 times
Wow, that's a lot of love! Good for you, young lady.

The only part of your post I can't agree with is the Detroit skyline rivaling Chicago's. Sorry, it's not even close. Detroit does have some classic art deco structures, though, and if they can ever get that city back on it's feet it has the potential to be a great downtown again like it was in the early to mid 1900's. I still prefer Detroit's downtown to places like Atlanta and Houston, where everything is glass and sparkly.

I'm from Detroit originally, and I love it too. I've never had the good times anywhere else that I've had in Detroit. My family moved away to the south when I was 12, and I never got over leaving, so I came back to Michigan in 2007.

Have you made it up north yet? If you love the areas you mentioned, you will flip over the northland!

Old 10-15-2008, 05:20 AM

859 posts, read 2,008,379 times
People are eager to leave because they loosing their Jobs and cant find a Job.

Yes Michigan is beautiful but that dont feed youre Family or pay youre Bills.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:49 AM

750 posts, read 2,624,521 times
I love Michigan too, nice to see someone with positive things to say.

Michigan is the only place for me, I will never leave her, I would be heart broken. I feel a deep connection and my soul feels at peace here, its home. Good times or bad, its home.

Sappy but true, I love My State, Michigan

Old 10-15-2008, 07:19 AM

12,083 posts, read 36,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
Michigan is ugly on the inside.
For some yes. It looks like it may be for you reading your posts and whining.

For those of us with stable jobs, good communities, and friends it is just as nice on the "inside" as it looks on the outside. Maybe even better because we get the beauty of nature and the warmth of a good life to go along with it.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northman View Post
Have you made it up north yet? If you love the areas you mentioned, you will flip over the northland!
I havent moved yet but the farthest North I have been is Muskegon and I loved it. But Ive heard great things about the natural beauty of the North, especially the UP. Once I move I plan on FULLY exploring the state
Is it true there are mountains in Michigan that people ski on?! I didnt know Michigan had mountains but I vaguely remember hearing that or reading that somewhere...

Old 10-15-2008, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmin71 View Post
People are eager to leave because they loosing their Jobs and cant find a Job.

Yes Michigan is beautiful but that dont feed youre Family or pay youre Bills.
I understand and it is so unfortunate people are having to leave because of this reason but Im going to remain optimistic with this next presidential election, things are going to turn around for not only Michigan but the whole USA as well and hopefully everyone will be coming back

Old 10-15-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjhsa View Post
Michigan is ugly on the inside.
Even though I only visit and dont have the good fortune of living there, I find it beautiful inside and out. I love Michigan people! Its the closest Ive gotten to "southern hospitality" up north lol.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:18 AM

12,083 posts, read 36,456,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by babigyrl5 View Post
Is it true there are mountains in Michigan that people ski on?! I didnt know Michigan had mountains but I vaguely remember hearing that or reading that somewhere...
Not Mountains really, just tall hills. There are many ski areas in Michigan. Even in the southern portion of the state. I remember "Snow Snake" ski area down around Midland as being one I went too while in college. Lived right next door to Sylvan (knob when I moved there, resort when I moved away) in Gaylord. Boyne Mountain, Tyrolean Hills (I think that one is closed now though), and others throughout the northern lower do quite well in the winter. The UP has several good sized places. There's Big Powderhorn, Blackjack, The Porkies (Can't remember the real name, but it is in Ontonagon county) and several others.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:03 AM

29,489 posts, read 71,241,978 times
Don't forget "Mount Brighton"

(A big pile of trash that people ski on).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan