Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

We do not have accents. Everyone else does. We are the norm. If you speak differently than we do then YOU have an accent. What you are hearing is the lack of an accent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 AM

15 posts, read 89,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We do not have accents. Everyone else does. We are the norm. If you speak differently than we do then YOU have an accent. What you are hearing is the lack of an accent.
I'm confused as to if this is a joke....

Old 10-23-2008, 10:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
There is an entire thread here somewhere about the Michigan accent and phrases unique to Michigan. It has some links to webs sites. It is all very funny.

Next time yuh see yur husbun ask him "whaachaduin?" or howwRyaaa" Make him feel at home.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:49 AM

15 posts, read 89,652 times
Hahaha...yes I actually get much enjoyment out of throwing a little Michigan phrase in here and there when talking to him. My sisters and I can go back and forth forever doing our impression of his family...poor guy has learned to put up with us

Old 10-23-2008, 11:11 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
I'm from Michigan, and feel like I don't have an accent. However, many people do try to place my accent all the time, so maybe I do? lol

Old 10-23-2008, 12:19 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
NAH!!! We-don-have-n-ahcent, we-jist-run-ar-werds-togither n talk-fast.

Even as short a distance away as Cleveland my homegrown MI accent stood out. I had many, MANY field personnel tell me over the phone "you aren't from around here." LOL

Old 10-23-2008, 03:31 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,306 times
we ALL have accents...although i would just say we pronounce things differently by region!...i am proud of the phrases i use and the "accent" i have now that i live in philly.......
although i just started a teaching job here in the third grade and they are working on Homophones, words pronounced the same but spelled differently...AND i was looking in a book my mentor teacher gave be and get this it said "bin" and "been" are homophones!!!!! i told her that is not true where i come from...and she said i better learn the way things are pronounced there-but i am stubborn, i just won't teach them that homophone!

Old 10-23-2008, 05:51 PM

266 posts, read 853,077 times
I've lived in Michigan all my life, and people from Michigan ask me where I'm from because of my "accent!" LOL!! I know I'm a total mockingbird, I don't even realize that when I've been around people with accents (i.e. Canada, southern US, Hawaii) I start picking it up. I hope people don't think I'm making fun of them.

Especially when I've been drinking - every accent I've ever heard seems to leak out, with a strong tendency toward New England (partied for a week in New Hampshire when I turned 21) and New Zealand (watch a lot of Flight of the Conchords when drinking). I guess adding alcohol again makes exotic accents re-emerge!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:06 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
Sure we have an accent, but it is not much of one. Think about it, most of the newsreaders on national news programs sound like us!

Old 10-23-2008, 06:29 PM

9,376 posts, read 11,944,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeanniepep View Post
I've lived in Michigan all my life, and people from Michigan ask me where I'm from because of my "accent!" LOL!! I know I'm a total mockingbird, I don't even realize that when I've been around people with accents (i.e. Canada, southern US, Hawaii) I start picking it up. I hope people don't think I'm making fun of them.

Especially when I've been drinking - every accent I've ever heard seems to leak out, with a strong tendency toward New England (partied for a week in New Hampshire when I turned 21) and New Zealand (watch a lot of Flight of the Conchords when drinking). I guess adding alcohol again makes exotic accents re-emerge!
No, I am sure they know that you are drunk!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan