Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 05:41 AM

9 posts, read 59,544 times

Advertisements

We is considering a job offer in the Farmington Hills area of Michigan. We are interested in purchasing an older home, built before 1935 or so. Can you recommend a historic community that is "affordable" (below $350,000). I have noticed fantastic historic homes for sale in the city of Wayne at extermely affordable prices, and of course wonder why? Does anyone know anything about the City of Wayne, i.e. crime, ammenities, restautants, etc. and how the commute straight up 275 to Farmington would be during the usual travel times. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2007, 06:19 AM

25 posts, read 186,809 times
I dont know alot about Wayne, its an older blue collar community, home to a few auto assembly plants. Im sure there is alot of shopping and resturants available. The commute to farmington hills area at rush hour might be 40 mins or so. If you are looking for a historic home you may also want to look in the city of Farmington it is surrounded by farmington hills it has many nice old homes right in town. Also Milford is another area that has a nice old downtown area with shopping and historic homes just a short walk from town. Check out realtor.com to get house listings in these areas.

Old 02-26-2007, 07:18 AM

35 posts, read 168,432 times
Default Live near Wayne

I live about two miles outside the city of Wayne (Ecorse and 275). The commute is not bad. I work at 9 Mile and 275 which is right outside of Farmington Hills. It take me half an hour max if I leave at 7 to get to work.(in heavy traffic). Its about 18 miles for me all freeway if I don't drop my son at daycare.

I also was looking in the city of Wayne for a historic home. My wife grew up there but the town is a lot different now. My son's daycare is there so I drive through town alot. Not sure about crime but I started to notice that there are homeless walking the streets near some of the homes I was looking at. Besides fast food there are a couple of family restaurants but nothing else I would recommend. There are a couple of grocery stores that I go to once in a while but are small and not very nice.

My car was vandalized one day while I was eating in Wayne. Might of just been some kids but you never know. The high school is near of lot of those Historic homes too and I would not want kids parking in front of my house (so they don't have to deal with parking at school) They drive like crazy and I don't need them running me over if I am walking to my car.

Theya re trying to clean up the city and make it look nice but with our economy I don't see it happening.

If you have to move there stay to the west of Wayne road and North of Michigan Ave. Go too far north and you are in Westland (which has lots of nice parts but not that particular area).

If we move to Wayne it will be around Newburgh just North of Michigan Ave. I won't get the historic home but it will be affordable and a little bit safer.

Oh, and don't forget the garbage dumps. Its quite a few miles away but if the wind is blowing right you will get the smell. I have heard that you can smell them as far North as Plymouth if the wind is strong. But its usually once every couple of weeks depending on what side are dumping.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:48 PM

195 posts, read 1,079,885 times
You can easily get in to any community in MIchigan for much less than $350,000

Old 03-26-2009, 10:36 PM

1 posts, read 5,328 times
Farmington is really nice. I used to work in Troy and had to take 295 to 696 every morning around 7:00 and it was usually really packed and there are accidents on 275, 6 Mile and 96 a few times a week, bad ones, it's like the Bermuda Triangle of expressways. Plymouth, Northville and Novi have nice older homes, although Plymouth is a bit pricey. Wayne is having it's problems right now, and the schools are struggling. They are trying hard to make a come back, and are on the upswing, but it will take a few years. So, if you're looking for something now, I'd look elsewhere. Don't get me wrong, I like Wayne, but it's a horrible drive to Farmington from there. By the way, I live north of Michigan Ave and West of Wayne Rd, and it's a nice area, close to a fire department, schools and shopping and the library. I've never smelled the garbage, though. Check city taxes, water and garbage rates before you buy. That will have a big impact on where you can go.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
There are hi8storic homes scattered about in almost every community. Most of them are old farmhouses becasue that is what was here - farms. Ours was built in 1836 but extensively remodles in 1850 and in 1868 there are maybe a dozen homes in our community in our age range, but a coule of hundred from before 1935.

In the farm8ington area, you can look at Northville, South Lyon, Milford, New Hudson, Of course farmington. Parts of Livonia, Salem. There are a few places that have few or no historic homes (Novi and Canton come to mind). Some places are loaded with them. Plymouth, Ann Arbor, Dexter, Chelsea, Saline, Tecumseh, several of the places mentined above, etc. You will have no problem finding a historic home, Choose the community that you want and serach around. You could even find one in Novi or Canton if you looked hard enough. West Bloomfield has some, Walled lake has some , , , I could go on and on. . . .. ooops I just did.

Old 05-23-2009, 08:42 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Moderator cut: quote removed, advertising is not allowed

I could probably give you about 6500 reasons. But if you are not a fan of historic homes, you will probably never be convinced. Non-histroic home buffs, just do not seem to get it (why we like historic homes and would not want one of the modern abominations if it were free). Nothing wrong with that. You are in the majority of the population. I would guess that less than 25% of the population would really rather live in an older house than a new one. Historic homes are certainly more work than a modern home (as long as the modern home is new. Modern homes start to decay and have problems after a decade or two, they are nto made to last). If you are going to restore a historic home you have to have a lot of money and be prepared to lose it. You will invest more than you will get in return value, especially now. It is a labor of love, it is not an investment.

You can also buy a perviously restored historic home if it was done right, and let someone else take the economic loss. OUr house cost twice what it is currently worth to restore it. (not all losses due to the imbalance of restoration/value much of it was due to the declining market). However I do not regret doing it. This will probably be our family home as long as the bloodline continues.

Last edited by Yac; 05-25-2009 at 01:36 AM..

Old 05-25-2009, 10:01 PM

428 posts, read 800,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonandpeggy View Post
We is considering a job offer in the Farmington Hills area of Michigan. We are interested in purchasing an older home, built before 1935 or so. Can you recommend a historic community that is "affordable" (below $350,000). I have noticed fantastic historic homes for sale in the city of Wayne at extermely affordable prices, and of course wonder why? Does anyone know anything about the City of Wayne, i.e. crime, ammenities, restautants, etc. and how the commute straight up 275 to Farmington would be during the usual travel times. Thanks for your help.
Like others have said, they are scattered throughout the entire metro area. I would recommend looking close to your job to save on gas and traffic hassle....you should have plenty of choices, especially right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan