Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2008, 11:05 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,989 times

Advertisements

We would like to find a family doctor who works in a certain hospital. How do we go about this? We don't want to have to go all the way to downtown Detroit in an emergency. Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 10:39 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I would look at the hospital's website to get the names of their practitioners, then start calling to see which ones take your coverage.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:01 AM

313 posts, read 1,195,337 times
Default It's a long one...

A few things....

Most Family Practioners-- docs who see from infants to the elderly-- do not see patients in the hospital. They will admit to an Internal Medicine doc for their adult patients-- usually someone who covers their in-patients-- and then a peditrician. Many of the smaller hospitals in the Metro Detroit area do not have in-patient pediatrics, so your child would likely go to Children's in Detroit, Mott's Children's in Ann Arbor, Oakwood Main in Dearborn or Henry Ford Main in Detroit. If you want someone that can see and your spouse and kids, an FP is what you want. If you need someone for your and your spouse and a seperate doc for your kids, you can do FP or Internal Med for the adults and a pediatrician for your kids.

With all of that said... Most hospitals have a service on their website where you can find a doc. ie. henryford.com or Oakwood.org. You can search by specialty and then go from there and they should list the office locations, so you can find something close to your home. You should also be able to go through your insurance and that may save you a phone call, as you wouldn't have to check with the doc to see if they take your insurance and if they are accepting new patients. (A caution to be aware of, just because they take your insurance does not mean that they are accepting new patients with that insurance. Sometimes they have reached their limit they can take of patients within a certain insurance.)

With all of THAT said, now let's address ER visits. Most insurances believe if it is life threatening, go to the closest facility. If you have a 10 year old with a twisted ankle that needs to be seen, go to where your insurance recommends. If you think that someone will be admitted, then go to where your doctor is on staff or where he or she has someone that they want to admit to (see above if that is unclear.)

For example, my child went to the doctor complaining of belly pain. Her pediatrician wanted to rule out appendicitis, so she sent her to the hospital where she is on staff for a walk in diagnostic procedure. The ultrasound was positive for appendicitis. That hospital doesn't do in-patient peds. We were given the choice of all of the hospitals I listed above. We went to Ann Arbor. We never saw an ER until we got to Ann Arbor, where we were an ER direct admit-- meaning they knew we were coming, and so they held a bed for us.

Now, then you get into the fact that Metro Detroit has HUGE Health Systems. IE Henry Ford has the Main hospital in Detroit, big satellite facilities in Dearborn, West Bloomfield and Sterling Heights which all have ER's and then mini satellites like Woodhaven and Taylor that do not. They also have hospitals are that Henry Ford, but a bit different, like Wyandotte, Bi-County in Warren and Cottage-Bon Secors on the East side. Depending what you need, you could probably go to a number of those facilities and your doc would still be able to get your records and such becuase they are all part of the system. The same would be true for Oakwood, DMC, Beaumont, etc. Not true for smaller stand alone hospitals like Botsford or Gardern City....

Health Care, I know. If this helped, great! If you have more questions, please feel free to message me. Depending on where you live, I may even have some suggestions.

Old 11-22-2008, 11:22 AM

3,199 posts, read 7,827,529 times
Where do you live? I know for ex if you go to Henry Ford in WB emergency if something happens and they can't help you they send you down to Detroit through ambulance. I have health issues and have not had the best luck with MI nor other states I guess but I agree at looking at the hospital websites. I guess for myself and I have been every where like UCLA,Cleveland Clinic etc I would stick with Beaumont,Henry Ford cause it is a teaching hospital,and U of M.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:00 PM

334 posts, read 1,497,989 times
Thank you. We found a clinic that uses the hospital we wanted to use. Now we don't have to worry about being seperated by distance if any of us need to be admitted. There is so much to learn moving to a new place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan