Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 4,020 times

Advertisements

I am looking for some information on the grayling area, my hubby and I hope to move there in about 9 months. Right now we live in a small town in Alabama, we want to stay in a small town. So am looking for info on this area Thanks for any help Michelle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2006, 07:26 AM

1 posts, read 4,017 times
hey there...Grayling is a nice place to live. I wanted to let you know i have a place for sale north of Grayling about 15 miles. its not in a town, but it's half way between Grayling and Gaylord. If you might be interested, let me know. I used to live in Grayling for about 4 yrs. i had to move due to work, but it is a nice area. Let me know if i can help you in any way. If your interested, my email is chief376@avci.net

Old 06-12-2006, 09:38 AM

2 posts, read 6,785 times
My hubby and I lived by Grayling for a short time. We loved it, but jobs are hard to come by, good ones that is. We would gladly move back up there if we had a good job. Loved it.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:04 AM

2 posts, read 6,798 times
Grayling is my home town and I love it there. The only problem is there are few jobs in that town. You can always travel for work to Gaylord which is about 30 miles away or Houghton Lake which is about 20 miles away. It is a very quiet place where the excitement is limited. The locals go to the Big Boy Restaurant for the night out and the Holiday Inn for dancing besides that there really isn't anything to do. It is a great place to raise kids and the school system is decent. Rent is reasonable about 450-500 for a 2-3 bedroom. Let me know if I can help anymore.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM

1 posts, read 3,996 times
grayling is a nice town if you like redneck slobs that care more about their unemployment check or their golden ticket in the disability contest than they do personal hygeine. job market stinks, the level of education available is below average. yes it is quiet outside of town, thats about it. descent shopping requires driving 35 minutes north or south descent entertainment requires the same. it's amazing how some people know "big boy" as a dinner out on the town, and the "holiday inn" as a night club!!! there is a reason why the population of grayling has been going down for the past 5 yrs, and it isn't because it's a nice place to live. the crime rates is way over the state average and the sex offenders are everywhere.

Old 04-17-2007, 08:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,935 times
Hey King Mike, one's environment is as good or bad as one makes it.

Old 04-28-2007, 11:08 AM

2 posts, read 17,498 times
There are alot of great small towns in Michigan but unless you are buying a home rentals are very hard to find. If you work in the medical field you won't have a problem finding a job in Michigan or Law Enforcement is another good job mnarket here

Old 04-30-2007, 07:55 AM

36 posts, read 174,870 times
Boy kingmike I'm sorry you feel that way about the place I call home. The fact that I have to drive twenty miles to go shopping really dosen't bother me in the least. In fact I like it. I get to drive through some awesome countryside, see a lot of wildlife, breath good clean air, and I make a darn good living right here in Grayling. I have never had a problem finding something to do up here as far as entertainment. If I really want some sort of nightlife, I will jump in the car and go somewhere like TC and have a ball. Grayling, like any other place has its share of poverty. That is just a way of life for some. I have been reading this forum for some time, and Detroit don't sound like a bed of roses either. I think you will see some changes come to Grayling(for the good), and at that time this little redneck town as you so put it won't be such a bad place to live and work. JMHO

Old 04-30-2007, 09:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,885 times
Hey now, I shave my back before I head to the lake so I don't look too shabby in my bikini, kingmike. Seriously, I live here too. And I make a decent living as well in a spot where the cost of living isn't overly outrageous. If you don't rely on the artificial world to entertain you then you'll be just fine. You're never more than 10 miles away from some body of water. If you fish or hunt, you'll love it....we have two of the best trout streams in the country right here. Water sports everywhere....Michigan has more boat licenses per capita than any other state in the union and more shoreline, too...no kidding. The Great Lakes are awesome and make great day trip destinations. Camping everywhere and Michigan has a really beautiful state park system. Beautiful golf courses everywhere with reasonable rates. Snowmobiles, ice fishing, cross-country and down hill skiing in the winter. Many beautiful roads if you're into motorcycles like we are. If you're into bars we've got 8 of them but who needs that crap? The down side is that good jobs don't fall off the trees here and most of them are never advertised but that doesn't mean they aren't there. If your occupation is portable you're set or if you're in the medical field the local hospital is always looking for folks and there are other jobs around, too. I hear there are a lot of felons in this town but I've never felt uncomfortable leaving my doors unlocked and I've lived right in town for 15 years. So I'd take kingmike's feed back with a grain of salt if'n i wuz in yer shoes.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:25 AM

13 posts, read 43,243 times
I would move to Grayling in a heartbeat if I could find a decent job. Even considering getting some extra training to see if I could break into the medical jobs. The people are extremely friendly, life can be very hard there, but I know of few places where it is still so wild. I know of people that go to Canada to see Eagles and I look at them daily at my tiny cabin outside of Grayling. Wintertime is beautiful and thanks to the wonderful Grayling City Recreation Authority, they are creating some of the best Cross country ski trails in the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan