Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 06:21 PM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times

Advertisements

No, I am originally from Ohio. She is still there and still working.

I feel almost guilty that I am (thus far) not affected by the bad economy (except the increase in cost of consumer goods and services).

People are getting laid off, I get a huge raise with cola due in January.

I have to remind myself of the family and social sacrifices I made and money I spent going to school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2008, 07:18 PM

866 posts, read 4,257,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by planthappy View Post
My Dad told me 30 years ago.....do something in the medical field you will always have a job. It was the best piece of advice he ever gave me.
Medical field? Who are all of these doctors, nurses, and medicare people going to take care of after all of the automakers lose their jobs?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but people must understand that EVERY SINGLE job in the world is NOT safe. A domino affect will always happen if one person gets knocked down.

Old 11-22-2008, 10:02 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,170 times
Well, looks like we made it to the national spotlight again...........

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/23/us...DNjut4T7x1Auzg

Old 11-23-2008, 11:32 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post
Medical field? Who are all of these doctors, nurses, and medicare people going to take care of after all of the automakers lose their jobs?

I'm not trying to be mean or anything, but people must understand that EVERY SINGLE job in the world is NOT safe. A domino affect will always happen if one person gets knocked down.
true every job is vunerable to an extent. And the better jobs even the medical field may go in the very near future. Meaning I may find work in my field... but it may be a job that I would not have accepted when times were good. Also my pay may go down... but even when things were very lean, a doctor and nurse was needed. They may have to work for a cow, or eggs, or chicken (or whatever was negotiated in the trade for services), but their services were still needed.
Doctors weren't crazy rich like the cardiologists of today, but they still managed better than most.

Also, there are medical jobs within governmental agencies (CDC, state hospitals, prison systems, schools, public health agencies, VA's and army base hospitals to name a few) that are more insulated from the swings in the economy than the private sectors.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:14 PM

5 posts, read 12,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexterguy View Post

While I agree that there's a domino affect with any fall; unfortunately some people still need the health care when they can't afford it - and many will still go to the doctors and not pay the bill; but people with backgrounds in medical can move next to anywhere and be able to find a job better than those of us who do not have a background in medical.

Old 11-23-2008, 02:15 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikald View Post
Has anyone thought about the repercussions of GM or any of the Big 3 failing and the MI economy...and if so, is anyone seriously considering leaving Michigan if this does happen?
If they file Chapter 11, why would you leave? That might actually make them better. Bankruptcy with Chapter 11 is a bailout. It allows the company to reorganize and try to remain viable, and often they succeed.

Old 11-23-2008, 07:17 PM

112 posts, read 305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikald View Post
Has anyone thought about the repercussions of GM or any of the Big 3 failing and the MI economy...and if so, is anyone seriously considering leaving Michigan if this does happen?
Moot question...the money IS coming....the biggest infusion of cash into one area in a short period of time in US history.

(The benefits may be short lived...so plan accordingly.)

Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,826 times
I don't see much benefits from the bailout, other then they can continue to run their businesses into the ground a little while longer.
They should not be bailed out. Michigan needs this in the long run to get away from dealing with this industry as it's main source of employment. (or headline at this point)
The time to think about leaving Michigan was around 2003 at the point of houses being ridiculously over priced, yet with people buying them. Ah I remember it well, cocky folks in their 50's/60's saying they were retiring on their amazing real estate investments.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:34 PM

1,782 posts, read 3,941,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If they file Chapter 11, why would you leave? That might actually make them better. Bankruptcy with Chapter 11 is a bailout. It allows the company to reorganize and try to remain viable, and often they succeed.
There is a good chance that they won't qualify for Chapter 11 and they'll be forced to file for Chapter 7. Even if they can get Chapter 11, there will be serious problems getting the amount of money they need through loans because of the credit crunch. And then there is the problem of no one wanting to buy from a bankrupt automaker.

I really hope the Big 3 can pull through this, but I fear what will happen if they fail. MI, and Metro Detroit in particular, will be hit with one of the worst economic disasters in history.

Darn, I really wish this hadn't of happened. I bet the new Camaro is gonna be suspended, delayed or cancelled because of this..

Old 11-23-2008, 10:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshop View Post
Moot question...the money IS coming....the biggest infusion of cash into one area in a short period of time in US history.

(The benefits may be short lived...so plan accordingly.)
There IS no CASH. All that so called bailout would be is billions of FUTURE taxes collected on FUTURE earnings, pretty similar to credit which is the whole problem. We're spending money like crazy that we don't have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan