Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Michigan residents can’t provide for themselves, personal taxes, retail and businesses, state budgets, government policies, freedom of information act, Michigan state budget

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 PM

167 posts, read 431,454 times

Advertisements

Why is it that the people of Michigan can't provide for themselves? I have thought about this notion for a long time.
At around 10,000,000 people in the State of Michigan, we could have around $120,000,000 dollars per year at one dollar per person, per month. How hard could that be? Or how about 3 dollars?
That would generate $360,000,000 dollars per year! Thats over 4,000,000 million dollars per county! Imagine what that kind of money could do for your community!
Collectively, we all pay much more than that and thats why I believe that the state should print twice a year, in every major newspaper, a statement which shows the states revenues and expenditures in detail.
Mabey this would help the people of The State of Michigan to better form an opinion of what's going on. We could then help our state legislators to make better decisions for the people who live here.
There is an awful lot of money out there that's being collected in the form of personal taxes, retail and business. We should make sure that it is being spent wisely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 01:49 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
I would have no problem with that. Granholm claims to have been cleaning up Dodge, I mean Lansing, all this time -- let's see how she's doing.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:08 PM

167 posts, read 431,454 times
I'm glad you agree Cliffie. I truly believe that if we started to crunch some numbers, people might start to ask some important questions about where their money goes and how it's being spent.
Our State of Michigan is already looking at a $400,000,000 deficit for the coming fiscal year! $36 dollars from every resident in the state, would just about take care of that. My share would be $108 for my family for the year and I might be able to kick in more for those who don't have it, and, I live in a one income household that brings in about $45 thou a year! If we could all do this, think of what we could accomplish? Without government?

I've heard it said that less is more and I would have to agree with that!

I'll give you a perfect example of what is more. Remember when Ronald Reagan, the 40th president of the US passed away on June 5th of 2004, all federal employees had Friday, June 12th, off for his memorial. Not many people know this but that day cost the American taxpayers well over $400,000,000! That comes out to a little more than $1 for every man, woman and child in the US. Per year! Per day!

That's ONE day off! Does'nt sound like much but it sounds like a lot does'nt it!?

Don't misunderstand me here, I have respect an admiration For Mr. Reagan but I also have respect and admiration for the people of the state of Michigan and the US.

We are the ones who are led to believe that our contibutions(taxes, of which we really have no say in) will make a difference in our lives. , go toward a better society, and that those who represent us are out there fighting for us.

Bullcrap!!!! Keep adding up the numbers. They will always turn out the same. In our favor...............

Old 12-02-2008, 06:13 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
If the state budget were to be presented to the people in a logical, understandable manner, I think many people would be outraged at the foolish things the gov't spends our money on. Also at the unreasonable rates the state pays for the necessary things it does. Perhaps there should be a law stating that the Governor must do just that (and I'm not usually a fan of more laws).

That would be true transparency in gov't.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:30 PM

65 posts, read 123,099 times
..the Mackinac Center for Public Policy has done just that...asked to see the books for all the people to see, the Gov says it's to costly to publish and they don't have the time......BS. This state is getting what it deserves until the people realize there is no goose that lays golden eggs....and it is nothing more than simple theft of the citizens money.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 PM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,360 times
I'm always outraged at Ms. Granholm's response when she's told the state will have to do with less; the first thing she wants to cut is police and education. She's just trying to scare the people into passing some tax hike or other.

I wonder if the complete state budget is available through an FIA claim?

Old 12-03-2008, 01:02 PM

541 posts, read 985,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by walls View Post
..the Mackinac Center for Public Policy has done just that...asked to see the books for all the people to see, the Gov says it's to costly to publish and they don't have the time......BS. This state is getting what it deserves until the people realize there is no goose that lays golden eggs....and it is nothing more than simple theft of the citizens money.
Anybody can obtain that info...FOIA(freedom of information act)

Old 12-03-2008, 02:05 PM

112 posts, read 305,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
Anybody can obtain that info...FOIA(freedom of information act)
Can you provide us a link to all of the details of all spending in the Michigan State budget?

Old 12-03-2008, 05:17 PM

65 posts, read 123,099 times
MI-IRISH.........FOIA????? sure...make it really user friendly for good Gov't......you bet. Topshop...good question.........

Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM

1,286 posts, read 2,916,879 times
the problem with collecting money from everyone is, the state already does it. secondly, just because 10 million people live there, doesn't mean 10 million people have $1 to give. i would be willing to guess something close to 60% of the state doesn't pay income taxes already. you have roughly 40% on welfare and another 20% taking full advantage of foreign national and tax loopholes, between the arabics and japanese.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan