Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 03:11 PM

2 posts, read 3,965 times

Advertisements

I own GM stock so god yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 04:19 PM

188 posts, read 607,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMN135 View Post
I own GM stock so god yes.
Does seem like now would be a good time to buy GM stock.

Here's the one year view

Old 12-07-2008, 12:57 PM

541 posts, read 985,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigansnowflake View Post
You guys are looking at it all wrong.....its not the workers fault that they were given the salary they were for their jobs, its not the workers fault that the CEOs made stupid decisions that drove the companies into the ground.
No it's not the worker's fault,but in hindsight,you can't say they didn't see this coming.The problem is no one spoke up for the greater good in the whole situation,and i have a hard time believing in this technilogical age,none of them did any homework.They knew what the foreign automaker's were ammasing,and they said nothing,whether it was hourly union workers or management or CEO's,they all need to share the blame,and until they can understand there is a cause bigger than one's self or company,it will only get worse.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
Yes, because it will hurt Michigan more and if you don't live in Michigan and you think they can fail and you won't get hurt..think again. I really got mad to see the other people come in and get what they needed even though they put themselves in that position to. Yet the big three come in and they jump through hoops. I don't see how you can let them fail.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:05 PM

62 posts, read 133,246 times
Default Bailout

Yes, there is a lot wrong with the auto industry, just like there is a lot wrong with this country. I live in Michigan and my husband owns a small business and we do less than 5% with the auto industry, and if they fold, he will have to lay off people. I don't understand how people can be so ingnorant in this country to not see how inter-connected the economy is. If someone sneezes in China the media spends hours discussing the effects on our economy. Just think what laying off one million people in a heart beat will do to this country. Health care is a major issue, if President Obama wants real change then suspend health care and pensions for Congress and see how fast they fix the problem. The ironic part here is that the Detroit Three take care of their employees and retirees the way they should be and people are jealous. Very sad. This country could be doomed. All of my family as well as my husbands family, retired from one of the big 3 and they worked 6 and 7 days a week and came home dirty and tired. Not everyone abused the system.

Old 12-07-2008, 04:16 PM

316 posts, read 1,181,826 times
Heck no they should not be bailed out. They brought this upon themselves. You don't see Honda being bailed out, or Toyota. How fair is it that the big 3 get money and that they don't? You wait and see, now the government basically will owe those 2 money just to keep it fair.
Taking care of people beyond the means of a company is not smart, it is stupid. Paying people to stay home without working is ridiculous. Spoiled is what that industry was, and in a way that is beyond ignorant.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:00 PM

541 posts, read 985,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmom48 View Post
Yes, because it will hurt Michigan more and if you don't live in Michigan and you think they can fail and you won't get hurt..think again. I really got mad to see the other people come in and get what they needed even though they put themselves in that position to. Yet the big three come in and they jump through hoops. I don't see how you can let them fail.

I am in no way saying let them fail,but they knew very well foreign automakers were hot on their heel's.Accountability is key that they are missing to open the door to success.Economists for years have been pitching this,and did any of them listen?It fell on deaf ears.The old man used to tell me"you reap what you sew"and now it is time to pay up.

Old 12-07-2008, 05:49 PM

749 posts, read 2,772,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
I am in no way saying let them fail,but they knew very well foreign automakers were hot on their heel's.Accountability is key that they are missing to open the door to success.Economists for years have been pitching this,and did any of them listen?It fell on deaf ears.The old man used to tell me"you reap what you sew"and now it is time to pay up.

But the workers didnt *sew* the mess, yet they are the ones about to be jobless

Old 12-07-2008, 05:54 PM

156 posts, read 350,993 times
No, I do think they will get help. The made this of their own choosing. Now they want to have the tax payer, many of who do not have health care, to pay for the health care of a line worker making 30 and hour? I do not think so. I will be looking for a few extra tax deduction this year to keep from paying anything into this crap.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:17 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,538,478 times
I'm the first to say that there are many issues with the Auto Industry. Living in Michigan all my like until this last Summer when we had no choice but to move to find work. How many people growing up in the 60-70's didn't have family that worked at GM. Those were the people who had nice houses , boats and went on vacation. That in MIchigan is already over. GM isn't the industry it once was. How they got there is important but they are where they are at now. Washigton will not let them fail. Will it be what they want I don't know but you watch they will get help because the problems that will take place if they fail will hurt many people. The top people need to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan