Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2008, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any idea where I might get some butcher block 2x4? We have a wonderful butcher block island made by Michigan Maple and it has 2x4 butcher block maple trim. I contacted Michigan Maple and sent them a picture and they said that they do nto make it (but their name is stamped on it). Apparantly it was made long ago and they no longer even know that they made it. I have serached long and hard with no luck finding somone who makes Maple butcher block 2x4. Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 AM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,487 times
A quick search online brought up this: Island Tops - 2¼" Maple End Grain Butcher Block Island Tops by John Boos | Kitchen Accessories Unlimited here is another link that might be worth checking out: Woodfinder :: Find Sources for Hardwood Lumber, Exotic Wood, Veneer, Sawmill Services and Other Woods such as Tonewoods, Recycled Lumber& Salvaged Wood, Carving Stock and Turning Blanks.

Have you talked to independent lumber stores (maybe even exotic hardwood dealers) or a cabinetmaker?

Old 12-06-2008, 04:22 PM

188 posts, read 607,492 times
Where in Michigan are you? I know of a couple high grade lumber yards that deal with larger stuff like you're looking for. You're looking for the material to make a butcher block with 2x4 maple boards, right?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glass Pipe View Post
Where in Michigan are you? I know of a couple high grade lumber yards that deal with larger stuff like you're looking for. You're looking for the material to make a butcher block with 2x4 maple boards, right?
We have the butcher block we just need to replace the 2x4 trim that goes around the edge of it. The trim boards were made out of 2x4s that are maple butcher block material. I cannot find anyone who sells 2x4 butcher block. Tried the local lumber yards and three cabinet makers no one has any ideas. Called the company that made this thing (Michigan Maple) and they said that they never made anything with 2x4 trim. It is probably too old for them to have knowledge of it. It is 30 to 50 years old.

I looked online at John Boos dealers. No one seems to sell pieces, just the entire furniture piece.

We live in S.E. Michigan (Downriver area), but if we can find this we will go wherever we need to get it. We have been looking for it for over a year.

Thank you.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Seems odd a custom cabinet makers wouldn't jump all over making one for you. I doubt you will find a pre-built one, and probably have to go the custom made route to replace it. Do you have a photo of what you are looking to replace?

Old 12-08-2008, 11:42 AM

The trim around the edge is missing from the front. It is made of 2x4 that is created by gluing together 1x2 inch blocks of Maple (maybe 2x2 inch, not sure). Good idea, I should hav eposted a picture before.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:05 PM

188 posts, read 607,492 times
Oh, ok, I see what you're looking at. L.L. Johnson Lumber Manufacturing Co. Get in touch with these folks, send them a pic of what you're trying to replace so they'll understand - two different languages sometimes. They ought to be able to help you out. They'll have the wood, if they don't have the butcher block lengths like you want, they can refer you to some folks who would be able to make it for you. May even be able to pick up the pieces you need from cut-off scrap so they could already have it!

This place is SW of Lansing. They serve the local Amish community so you know it's quality lumber. A co-worker of mine shops there for his wood shop too. About 2 hours from where you're at, but if you get what you're looking for I guess it would be worth the drive.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:46 AM

Thank you Glasspipe. They were helpful
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: