Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 AM

541 posts, read 984,584 times

Advertisements

with all this yapping of the big 3 getting 14 billion and needing oversight and all that talk,why didn't the banks go through the same scrutiny before they got their billions of OUR money,double standard here maybe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 08:37 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
with all this yapping of the big 3 getting 14 billion and needing oversight and all that talk,why didn't the banks go through the same scrutiny before they got their billions of OUR money,double standard here maybe?
It's absolute insanity. The banks that pretty much put us in this mess get a free pass and a blank $700 Billion check, and automakers get beat up for not making fuel-efficient cars that Americans won't buy (only 2% of vehicles sold in 2007 in the U.S. were hybrids). How did fuel efficiency standards cause this economic crisis? Friggin idiots in Washington.

If it were the airlines asking for loans, would they be asking them why jets burn a ton more fuel than automobiles per passenger and rain toxins down on the planet? And why the pilot and mechanics' unions get such great benefit packages? Not a chance.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:02 AM
tcb

198 posts, read 679,920 times
*clap*

Old 12-11-2008, 09:09 AM

112 posts, read 304,919 times
Quote:
The trademark of our government today is double standards. Things will likely change, but the process may not be pretty.

Old 12-11-2008, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

If it were the airlines asking for loans, would they be asking them why jets burn a ton more fuel than automobiles per passenger and rain toxins down on the planet? .
As i recall,the airlines got their bailouts right after 9/11

Old 12-11-2008, 09:43 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times
Quote:
As i recall,the airlines got their bailouts right after 9/11
You're absolutely right. I believe they basically got a blank check too. $15 Billion.

9/11 Airline Bailout: So, Who Got What?, Millions Approved By Congress Went To Places You Wouldn't Expect - CBS News

I don't seem to recall anything about fuel efficiency standards of Boeing or Airbus jetliners.

It's interesting that much of the opposition is coming from Southern Republican members of congress (who got fat giving $Hundreds of Millions in tax credits to land foreign automaker assembly plants).

Last edited by magellan; 12-11-2008 at 09:59 AM..

Old 12-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Rise so high, yet so far to fall
A plan of dignity and balance for all
Political breakthrough, euphoria's high
More borrowed money, more borrowed time
Backed in a corner, caught up in the race
Means to an end ended in disgrace
Perspective is lost in the spirit of the chase
Barren land that once filled a need
Are worthless now, dead without a dead
Slipping away from an iron grip
Nature's scales are forced to tip
The heartland cries, loss of all pride
To leave ain't believing, so try and be tried
Insufficient funds, insanity and suicide
Megadeth 1992

foreclosure of a dream,man...has that echo thing going on

Old 12-11-2008, 11:08 AM

156 posts, read 350,861 times
All this tax payer money going to corporations, and still the rank and file left to loose their home, health care and jobs. Congress gave the finance companies their money and all we got was to see them throw 400k party’s. How many times do we take it in the ass before we say enough? I am sick and tired of seeing out tax dollars go to companies that will be paying for health care, and bonuses that we as tax payers never see. I am on the edge of saying I am not sending my tax payment in this year. I have just about had enough of this crap.

Old 12-11-2008, 11:31 AM

13 posts, read 27,896 times
Quote:
I AGREE! Why is it that the automotive companies have to be made examples of? Being from an automotive family, its bull. Our government has their heads shoved so far up their behinds, they are not seeing that the demise of 2 major auto companies would have a ripple effect across the country. They just don't get it.

If 2.5 billion jobs are lost from these companies, who is going to buy other products and good from other states. Mr. Alabama....."I have none of those automotive companies in my state, but he has 5 foreign automakers"...really who is going to buy those cars....Why don't they get it.

Really has the unions brought down the big 3? Has executive leadership stayed in this position to long to destroy it? What about Chrysler, they should really be given the money, that CEO inherited that mess from Daimler! Daimler just came in and worked the company to the ground took their money and ran.

If we were truly Americans, we should not let foreign companies run this country like they do. Who's country is this anyhow?

Old 12-11-2008, 11:45 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Just becuase they gave away money ot the bank does nto mean that they should give it away to the big three. What they should do is take back the bank money (most of it remains to be released) and requrie them also to fire their chiefs and come up with a plan. The banks already started hoarding the money rather than loosening up credit as the government expected would happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: