Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:14 PM

259 posts, read 823,189 times

Advertisements

lol, I can't wait. I've been up since 3 today in which time I was cussed at by an elderly lady who thought I wasn't plowing a Hardings parking lot correctly and told me she'd be back with a shovel to show me how to do it correctly (leaving out a few of her choice words, lol). And yeah my sisters apartment was the first drive on the left after you turned off Kilgore into the complex and all the way to the end so it was in a dead end.

About 80 degrees would be nice right now by the beach...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 12:52 AM

188 posts, read 607,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetBabyGirl View Post
Im thinking the only difference between a Storm Warning and Blizzard is the amount of wind involved.... I could be wrong though
Nah... The difference is in the ratings of the nightly local news. Those that use the term blizzard get the higher ratings. Have you heard about the "if it bleeds, it leads" line? The more those dips can distort things to make them seem traggic, the more john q public flocks to the TV to witness the death and destruction sure to be aired.

Old 12-23-2008, 07:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassPipe View Post
Nah... The difference is in the ratings of the nightly local news. Those that use the term blizzard get the higher ratings. Have you heard about the "if it bleeds, it leads" line? The more those dips can distort things to make them seem traggic, the more john q public flocks to the TV to witness the death and destruction sure to be aired.
The "Blizzard" terminology comes from the National Weather Service, not the stations. But definitely there are stations that like to sensationalize the weather (WOODTV8).

In Grand Rapids, we've already gotten 43 inches of snow in December (30 inches above normal for December). And it's snowing heavily again.

Old 12-23-2008, 05:40 PM

30 posts, read 55,332 times
Sometimes I think the weather people love Winter cause its the only time anybody actually listens to them or at least pay attention somewhat.....The rest of the year people just do as they please...

Old 12-24-2008, 05:35 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We are so happy to finally get some real snow on the ground. Hope it stays a while. Anyone else pleased?
No; I hate this slop.

My little econo-car got stuck a few times on Friday. I don't really mind having snow on the grass but it sucks when it's all over the roads, making it hazardous and harder to drive. It's easy to say that you love the stuff, but when you think about how much misery it produces for other people (shoveling deaths, deaths and injuries in accidents, monetary damages to vehicles and property, stuck vehicles, downed power lines and power outages, frostbite, homeless people who die of exposure) the snow and the cold weather loses its allure.

For the record, I don't have a problem with the Michigan winter most of the time, but it looks like we're going to have one of the most miserable winters in recent memory this year.

Last edited by Bhaalspawn; 12-24-2008 at 05:46 AM..

Old 12-24-2008, 10:57 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Snow is gone No white christmas : (

Old 12-25-2008, 04:00 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Snow is gone No white christmas : (
GONE??? Ya'll lost it that fast already. Man I feel for you. We are still knee deep to a tall giraffe up here in the Ludington area. Kids are PUMPED about the day (just like I was on Christmas as a kid). Going sledding later if time allows, if not we will go tomorrow. Hope you have a great Christmas down there despite the lack of white.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:55 AM

30 posts, read 55,332 times
Gone???? Lucky you.... Were about to have one muddy wet slushy mess with the rising temps...

Old 12-25-2008, 03:03 PM

186 posts, read 570,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DieuChien View Post
I hate snow, I don't want it to snow anymore... ever, not even one day of snow is good... Cold and snow are vile... *sigh* I wish Christmas would be moved to Summer and we could just hibernate through winter. lol.
Really, TX???? Ewwwhhh. Been there done that and TX just plain sucks.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:00 PM

217 posts, read 591,592 times
Here in the U.P we have PLENTY of snow.....much more than average for this time of year....yet we get through it just fine...........NO missed work, not many school closings, etc.......... up here we laugh our asses off at the trolls (below the bridge) that completely shut down due to a snow storm( this past week the Detroit area got nailed)! The whole damn city shuts down, schools, etc..............Here is MY solution............get the Lion players out there with shovels to help out...........maybe they work better with a shovel than a damn football..........LMAO in the U.P.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan