Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 08:31 PM

195 posts, read 972,361 times

Advertisements

What's there to see (family stuff) in Traverse city for a weekend visit in the winter?

Looking to embark upon a weekend trip up to that area with the family later this month. I realize it's not beach weather, so can anyone recommend anything that's worth visiting – restaurants, museums, other entertainment, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 08:15 AM

156 posts, read 350,904 times
Not much. In winter there is not much for a family to do. You can go to the wolf lodge and use the indoor water park. TC is a town that has beaches and a few festivals in summer. But unless you are a skier, or antique hunter, not much for a family to do. I would have saved my money and tried to get a cheap vacation to Orlando and Disney. The kids will remember it for life. Kids would not know the difference between TC and Cleveland.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-01-2009, 08:22 AM

939 posts, read 2,680,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upandrunning View Post
Not much. In winter there is not much for a family to do. You can go to the wolf lodge and use the indoor water park. TC is a town that has beaches and a few festivals in summer. But unless you are a skier, or antique hunter, not much for a family to do. I would have saved my money and tried to get a cheap vacation to Orlando and Disney. The kids will remember it for life. Kids would not know the difference between TC and Cleveland.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Then those kids are probably blind

Old 01-01-2009, 08:49 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windfarmer View Post
What's there to see (family stuff) in Traverse city for a weekend visit in the winter?

Looking to embark upon a weekend trip up to that area with the family later this month. I realize it's not beach weather, so can anyone recommend anything that's worth visiting – restaurants, museums, other entertainment, etc.

Great Wolf Lodge is a great time. There's also a new indoor waterpark at Boyne. There are plenty of places where beginner skiiers can learn the slopes, like Crystal Mountain, Shanty Creek/Schuss Mountain, and Boyne. Snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, ice skating, sleigh rides, you'll love it!

Old 01-01-2009, 09:30 AM

3 posts, read 15,760 times
Timber Ridge on the east side of town rents out cross country skis last i knew and is on the VASA trail. You have to go to Mustard's for lunch (they close at 3 or 4) they have really good burgers, but almost every restaurant downtown is good! Good Harbour coffee and bakery has the best coffee and cookies, auntie pastas on S airport rd has really good smoked gooda tomato soup. Taco House on Garfield rd has awesome cheap mexican food. the dennos museum is at the college- i dont know what exhibit they have up right now, but they are the best bet at a museum. the State Theater!! you have to try and catch a movie there its right down town and newly remodeled by Micheal Moore, like him or not- its beautiful! i love TC and i hope your family has a great time!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM

195 posts, read 972,361 times
Thanks a lot folks for your suggestions. I've looked into Great Wolf Lodge and will probably go there. The smoked gouda tomato soup bekajane mentioned, sounds tempting indeed.

We will be going up there with relative(s) who will watch our offspring while we go out for a pint or such in the evening. Can anyone recommend a clean, semi-classy (read: non-hole-in-the-wall) bar or pub close to Great Wolf Lodge? We are fans of good locally produced wine and locally brewed beer.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:59 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,965,687 times
Don't forget to check out the Dennos Museum. There is a childrens area there that is even fun for adults.

I worked at the TCCVB for many years and you might want to check out the website and the events calender: Events Calendar - - Traverse City Convention & Visitors Bureau

Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM

939 posts, read 2,680,636 times
Quote:
Thanks a lot folks for your suggestions. I've looked into Great Wolf Lodge and will probably go there. The smoked gouda tomato soup bekajane mentioned, sounds tempting indeed.

We will be going up there with relative(s) who will watch our offspring while we go out for a pint or such in the evening. Can anyone recommend a clean, semi-classy (read: non-hole-in-the-wall) bar or pub close to Great Wolf Lodge? We are fans of good locally produced wine and locally brewed beer.
There are a few good places to eat here in TVC. Only problem with bars or pubs is that the majority of them allow smoking. So, if you don't mind the tinge of nicotine & cigarette smoke with your meal, 2 places that come to mind are the U & I Lounge, a long, narrow bar with a few tables and pretty good food. Larger & a bit more upscale, but still smoky when busy, is North Peak Restaurant. They have a brewery on-site and the food is good. They also have a larger selection on the menu and of local wines. U & I resembles a gin mill. A couple of nice places where you can dine without having to wash your clothes and take a shower when you get home are Caio Bella, a downtown Italian restaurant where the owner is the chef and most of the food is prepared from scratch. VERY good. Another nice downtown choice would be Poppycocks. Nice martini selection along with a contemporary American menu with good food. On the west side of town is Stella Ristorante. A bit pricey but a very nice restaurant and a HUGE selection of wine. Very good food, contemporary Italian, and a staff that is second to none in this area. If you're in the mood for seafood or sushi, you cannot beat Red Ginger, downtown next to the State Theatre. Bankrolled by the Marsh Auto Group, the restaurant is beautiful as no expense was spared in the decor. The seafood and sushi is fresh (nothing frozen here like most other TVC restaurants) and the prices reflect such. The seafood is flown in from the Honolulu Fish company daily via Fedex. Wonderful wine selection with suprisingly reasonably priced local wines. Martinis and cocktail are expensive. Ketel One on the rocks, $9.50! You'll think you're in suburban Chicago or New York when you dine there. Most of the clientele are folks who moved here from larger cities and enjoy the experience. The locals basically shun the place as they are not used to the prices OR the food. So in summary, a place to eat exists for all tastes and budgets. Enjoy your stay and PM me if you have any more questions

Old 01-15-2009, 01:27 PM

59 posts, read 236,120 times
Default Old Mission Peninsula for local wine

Quote:

If you have time while relatives are watching the kids, take a trip up the beautiful Old Mission Peninsula to check out a couple of the local wineries (also Black Star Farm outside Sutton's Bay):

Old Mission Peninsula - Northwest Michigan

Old 01-15-2009, 08:45 PM

140 posts, read 459,124 times
Definately North Peak or Mackinaw Brewing Co., both have good local brews. Travinos has excellent italian food. There is a children's museum there, but I haven't had the chance to go yet. They have a website if you do a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan