Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 02:42 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times

Advertisements

Try Dimondale for sure. It's a great little town with a lot of new homes going in, Holt Schools (which are now some of the best in the Lansing area), right on the Grand River, nice little grocery, library, restaurants, parks, easy access to Lansing, etc..

I grew up there and my folks still live there, so I know it well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:27 PM

8 posts, read 103,481 times
Hi BetseeT

I lived in Richland before moving to Grand Rapids. Now, I'm in Grand Ledge and see I can have city and country settings all within a couple of miles. NICE!

Good luck with your decision.

You could consider Potterville where they have Gizzard Fest. Not what I'd be looking for but, hey. Whatever floats your boat.

I looked in DeWitt, East Lansing, Holt, Haslett, and just plain ruled out Lansing proper.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:46 AM

54 posts, read 259,389 times
Charlotte-Olivet would be on my list. I spent a summer there and didn't want to leave. From the sweet smells of honeysuckle outside the bedroom window, the starry nights above, and Downtown Charlotte -- its all good in this area.

Old 04-24-2007, 05:04 PM

417 posts, read 1,128,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
Charlotte-Olivet would be on my list. I spent a summer there and didn't want to leave. From the sweet smells of honeysuckle outside the bedroom window, the starry nights above, and Downtown Charlotte -- its all good in this area.
Just be careful going west of Olivet into the Duck Lake area. Lots of rental trailers with questionable tenants down some of those byways. My oldest friend lives there and has had several pets stolen or killed by neighbor kids.

Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,531 times
The Tuba Museum is great. The chef is even better. We go there once a month to sample

Working by the airport? For convenience, stick to something close. Something in the Waverley school district- great schools(from what I hear). Grand Ledge is my favorite area here. Downtown is adorable, with the Opera House right on the river, nice parks, and some really pretty old houses and churches. The neighbors were great, and the schools aren't supposed to be to shabby either. Another thing to look for would be to try to find a house that's in Lansing proper, but is in East Lansing school district (like across from Frandor). East Lansing has great schools.

I really don't have too many nice things to say about Charlotte - I know too many people that live or have lived there. They call it "Chartucky" for a reason. It just reminds me too much of the thumb area of MI where I grew up. And I guess Potterville's trying to clean up a bit, and has some newer homes going in (really nice neighborhoods actually) but I don't think the schools will be what you need. Also, there was a toxic waste spill at the railroads by the school not too many years ago. My cousins go to school in Holt, and most of the kids they come across have, shall we say, sticky fingers and other such unsavory habits. I also wouldn't recommend going too far out of town because in the winter the snow can really make for a poor commute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan