Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:49 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times

Advertisements

Around the Traverse City area, every business, large or small including EVERY educational institution is open for business today, except of course banks & the Post Office. I'm well aware of the demographic up here but it seems disappointing that this area makes believe it's just another day. They do the same thing with Presidents Day in February. In the larger cities, these Holidays are recognized and employees get a much deserved day off to spend with their families during the depth of winter. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Around the Traverse City area, every business, large or small including EVERY educational institution is open for business today, except of course banks & the Post Office. I'm well aware of the demographic up here but it seems disappointing that this area makes believe it's just another day. They do the same thing with Presidents Day in February. In the larger cities, these Holidays are recognized and employees get a much deserved day off to spend with their families during the depth of winter. Thoughts?
It IMO, is just a day. I am an employer, we do not work in the winter. If we did, we would not take today off.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 AM

9,376 posts, read 11,945,533 times
I personally don't think that businesses should be closed for any of those days. They should be recognized on your own time or maybe in schools they should be mentioned. That is what History classes are for. Cripe, between snow/cold days, Christmas break, winter break and spring break-these kids are hardly in school!! Do you really think people who get these days off are spending them thinking about the presidents? Columbus? MLK?

C'mon--Columbus Day? President's Day? MLK Day? When does it end? There are alot of individuals that people feel are as worthy as those above, they don't get days-they just get recognized.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:10 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,980 times
Quote:
I've lived in CA, CO, and multiple places in MI and I can not think of one non-gov't, non-union company that recieved those holidays off. I've certainly never worked for one.

On the other hand, I don't know of too many people who actually stop and think about what Labor day, Memorial day, and other such occassions actually stand for.
To most it's just a paid day off.

Old 01-19-2009, 12:49 PM

447 posts, read 1,245,640 times
Here in Grand Rapids it's pretty much just another day with the exception of some banks and all federal and state offices (and other unionized places).

When is Ronald Reagan day, again? ;-)

Old 01-19-2009, 12:56 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Around the Traverse City area, every business, large or small including EVERY educational institution is open for business today, except of course banks & the Post Office.
The banks and the Post Office are broke.

I just wonder if they will be open tomorrow.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:04 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
i understand why they don't have off of school....but it does NOT go unrecognized in Northern Michigan, here is from the Cheboygan Daily Tribune: it was celebrated yesterday

MLK celebration Sunday at Opera House - Cheboygan, MI - Cheboygan Daily Tribune (http://www.cheboygannews.com/homepage/x743987700/MLK-celebration-Sunday-at-Opera-House - broken link)

oh and the day is not meant to be a "much deserved day off to be with family in the winter" it is meant to be a day of service, in the bigger cities they have events all day of volunteerism and service opportunities....

Old 01-19-2009, 08:53 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
In the South , they do not recognize Memorial day , or Labor day. ......unless , there is a NASCAR race going on........

Old 01-19-2009, 11:14 PM

2,068 posts, read 5,966,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
The banks and the Post Office are broke.

I just wonder if they will be open tomorrow.
When I worked for NBD, we were open on many holidays, including this one. That's as it should be IMO.

Old 01-20-2009, 07:08 AM

24 posts, read 103,478 times
Default I want to work for the Government

National holidays are designed for government employees. They get more holidays off than I get vacation time. My biggest regret is I didn't get a public sector job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan