Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 05:37 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,337,915 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia819 View Post
But not the means to get it to the people he owed it to.
Are you saying he was denied the service of the US mail??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 06:32 AM

1,212 posts, read 4,911,048 times
^

Maybe he didn't have stamps... maybe he needed envelopes. Who knows? The fact is he had CASH paper clipped to the bill.

Why oh why didn't the man knock on the door to say: "sir, I am shutting off your services for non payment. Our records show you are 93 and live alone. I am just giving you a courtesy notice. " then the man could have said, "oh yes, here is the money. My arthritis has been bad and I haven't been able to pay this. "

Then we wouldn't be having this discussion.

the value of human life is getting so cheap.

It is like soldiers in a war who sees a child torn by a bomb think "well it is because of the policies of the dictator that this child's life has ended." No one can bear to stop and think that this way of thinking is wrong, human being against human being... forget business policies, political policies, It is all about PEOPLE.

Without compassion and a conscience we humans aren't much higher than animals.

The Bible says one human life is worth a THOUSAND universes.

Old 02-10-2009, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcam213 View Post
^

Maybe he didn't have stamps... maybe he needed envelopes. Who knows? The fact is he had CASH paper clipped to the bill.

Why oh why didn't the man knock on the door to say: "sir, I am shutting off your services for non payment. Our records show you are 93 and live alone. I am just giving you a courtesy notice. " then the man could have said, "oh yes, here is the money. My arthritis has been bad and I haven't been able to pay this. "

It is like soldiers in a war who sees a child torn by a bomb think "well it is because of the policies of the dictator that this child's life has ended." No one can bear to stop and think that this way of thinking is wrong, human being against human being... forget business policies, political policies, It is all about PEOPLE.

How does a power company know your age?? I have NEVER been asked that by a utility. In fact I know of people who have switched service to their kids name because of problem. They did not put the limiter on to kill him. They put it on to collect a bill. How long would you work without pay???

Old 02-10-2009, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
How does a power company know your age?? I have NEVER been asked that by a utility. In fact I know of people who have switched service to their kids name because of problem. They did not put the limiter on to kill him. They put it on to collect a bill. How long would you work without pay???
A simple change in the application could indicate if the customer was of advanced age.

I have worked a month without getting paid.. because I knew I would eventually get my money. Remember when the federal government was shut down because congress and the president couldn't agree on a budget?

I still went to work every day... and missed 2 pay days. This was back in 1996, I remember because I was a newlywed and my new husband was outraged that I would not run out and get a new job.

Likewise, the public utilities could be given the right to place lein on the property for non payment but leave utilities on in the case of elderly, handicapped.

Hell liens can be placed for non payment of new windows, roofs, wells. Why not for a public utility.

It would be a step in the right direction. And you may come up with reasons why this would not work... then let's (society at large) find a way that will work.

I KNOW WHAT DOESN'T WORK.... limiters.... to continue a practice or defend a practice that DOES NOT WORK is insanity.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,937,231 times
Quote:
A simple change in the application could indicate if the customer was of advanced age.

I have worked a month without getting paid.. because I knew I would eventually get my money. Remember when the federal government was shut down because congress and the president couldn't agree on a budget?

I still went to work every day... and missed 2 pay days. This was back in 1996, I remember because I was a newlywed and my new husband was outraged that I would not run out and get a new job.

Likewise, the public utilities could be given the right to place lein on the property for non payment but leave utilities on in the case of elderly, handicapped.

Hell liens can be placed for non payment of new windows, roofs, wells. Why not for a public utility.

It would be a step in the right direction. And you may come up with reasons why this would not work... then let's (society at large) find a way that will work.

I KNOW WHAT DOESN'T WORK.... limiters.... to continue a practice or defend a practice that DOES NOT WORK is insanity.
Thanks for taking over , I needed a rest. LOL

Old 02-10-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
^

But, in this post you clearly say they DID know his age.

Old 02-10-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thanks for taking over , I needed a rest. LOL
You need a rest because it is a lot of work to shift the blame. The man could have PAID someone to handle his finances. He choose not to.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:45 AM

Quote:
But, in this post you clearly say they DID know his age.
I don't know if they did know his age. If they didn't know, there should be some changes in practice.

when a situation arises that results in a problem, it is PRUDENT to re-evaluate current practice to something that will get a better result.

If they DID know his age and not take a few SIMPLE extra steps to give this man a last chance... there is something wrong in Bay City.

I can remember in the 70s I had an aunt who had trouble paying her bill... can't remember if it was gas, power, cable or phone. Anyway, when the guy came to shut off the service, he KNOCKED ON THE DOOR to inform her what was going to happen and gave her the option of making a minimum payment or he was going to the street, or pole etc to turn off the service. It had to be cash or nothing.

She did not have the money and me and my cousins watched him turn off the service. This was during warm weather, my aunt was in her 20s.

Now why couldn't they do this for an ELDERLY man, in the WINTER???

NO ONE IS GOING TO CONVINCE ME THAT A CHANGE IN PRACTICE IS NOT WARRANTED! I KNOW THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN RIGHT AND WRONG!

{going back to lurk because to debate THIS issue is ridiculous and pointless}

Old 02-10-2009, 10:05 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,758,516 times
Quote:
Also, the guy who came to the door -- which could never happen because so many jobs have been eliminated in the name of making everything electronic -- would be obliged to say "I'm not allowed to collect payments, sorry."

Old 02-10-2009, 11:29 AM

Just a question. Why do people think putting a lien on property is cheap? Also, what if it is a rental??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan