Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 06:27 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutbujelly View Post
I watched as Caterpillar cut 20,000 job's today. I have a friend in Texas that has worked for Texas Instruments for 27 years as an electrical eng. Between his Wife and himself they have 250,000 in student loans and debt. He was one of those people lulled into thinking their job was never going to be cut. He was given a week notice. My Mother in law in Charleston was a accountant in a law firm, she was given 2 weeks and then only to train the lady that worked under her to fill her job a less pay, then the same lady she trained she was renting from, she was told she had 2 days to get out of the rental, she did not have any contract it was only month to month verbal. Then news is very bad all over the nation. Then I was just in New Orleans for a visit this week, I have been there many times before and I have never seen it as slow as it was now. 2 weeks before Mardi Gras and the French market had 5 vendors in it. One vendor said that during the sugar bowl he would sell 25,000 worth of stuff, it was his big boost for the year, he sold 500 worth.
It's bad all over and getting worst. On the way home from New Orleans I was listening to Limbaugh, he said that we are in a very light recession and that it is not half as bad as it was in the 70s early 80s recession. I really don't think that he knows his rear from his head but that's my opinion. Any thoughts on this

At this point it is just a light or moderate recession. How many people have given up luxuries like cell phones, cable television? Unemployment is only to 10% in a couple states, some places it's down around 6%. That's nothing compared to depression level unemployment.

Yes a number of people are foreclosing on houses but keep in mind, home ownership was at an all time high and included many of the types that never could have bought a home in the past, including people here illegally with no social security number, people with little income, people with zero savings.

It was predicatable that the common sense rules were being broken far too much and not all these people could keep those homes. So - they go back to renting or go back to housing projects.

People should have seen a long time ago that jobs going out of the country along with massive immigration both legal and illegal would lead to problems.

At any rate, we're only at the beginning of serious hard times, or this can be resolved in a few months. At this point, the malls are still packed, middle school kids still have unlimited text messaging, movie theaters sell out and even with very mediocre movies. Inaugurations are more costly than ever -- $200 million, the most expensive glitzy inauguration ever and people had plenty of money to travel to Washington DC.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:31 PM

119 posts, read 284,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
The World is growing too fast , in population. people still have to eat . The big Rusty outdated cities , can not recover fast enough to sustain themselves.... Its just my prediction , but , If I were a new industry , on the cutting edge , I would consider locating in a more rural area , instead of being dragged down by the remains of the day. The American based Auto industry is just one good example.
That's spot on. Why do you think all the foreign auto makers are building their plants in the south and not in Michigan?

Old 02-01-2009, 06:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTER View Post
That's spot on. Why do you think all the foreign auto makers are building their plants in the south and not in Michigan?
Hundreds of $Millions in tax cuts and Right to Work states? It's not because they are "rural". It's because the Tennessee Valley Authority has thousands of acres they are basically giving away in multiple states.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FESTER View Post
I can give you an example. A man I know lives in SW Michigan. Great with bodywork and panting cars. So, he decided it was time to open this own business, on his land in Michigan. Between local zoning, the DEQ, and Michigan business tax, he is doing great with his shop. In Indiana. He drives to work each day until his house sales. The good news, three guys in Indiana have jobs.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Hundreds of $Millions in tax cuts and Right to Work states? It's not because they are "rural". It's because the Tennessee Valley Authority has thousands of acres they are basically giving away in multiple states.
Because the DEQ is not there.

Old 02-01-2009, 06:48 PM

26 posts, read 57,412 times
92% of the work force is not employed. We were at 10.8% in 82 nation wide, Michigan now is at 10.6% and climbing. Michigan hit its high in 83 when it was 17.5% Nation wide it is 7.2% When will it be bad? 11%? 12%? At what point is bad, when you loose a job? The idea that things are not bad is nonsense. It is an abstract idea, because if you have lost your job it is a recession for you even if everyone is doing well. The fact that those who deny every step of a problem situation, even as things move in the direction they keep denying. How many said a year ago that there is no recession, things are fine. Now that it is factual that we have been in recession for a couple of years. Now they will spew out some anecdotal talk about how things are just not that bad. Did I not see caterpillar lay off 20,000 workers, Micro Soft 5000, Boeing 5000, archway cookies close plants, circuit city, goodies, Steve and berry’s, linen and things and many others close up completely? Did I not see star bucks lay off many and close up shops, How many have been laid off in the auto industry, How many shops are closed because of the auto industry alone. When is it bad sir? If not now when? When are bad times here? When can we officially complain that things are hard? How do we ask for permission for it to be ok to say things are bad? How many homes have to be in foreclosure? Please give us the numbers when we can say it is bad. I would like to know sir.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:05 PM

26 posts, read 57,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
At this point it is just a light or moderate recession. How many people have given up luxuries like cell phones, cable television? Unemployment is only to 10% in a couple states, some places it's down around 6%. That's nothing compared to depression level unemployment.

Yes a number of people are foreclosing on houses but keep in mind, home ownership was at an all time high and included many of the types that never could have bought a home in the past, including people here illegally with no social security number, people with little income, people with zero savings.

It was predicatable that the common sense rules were being broken far too much and not all these people could keep those homes. So - they go back to renting or go back to housing projects.

People should have seen a long time ago that jobs going out of the country along with massive immigration both legal and illegal would lead to problems.

At any rate, we're only at the beginning of serious hard times, or this can be resolved in a few months. At this point, the malls are still packed, middle school kids still have unlimited text messaging, movie theaters sell out and even with very mediocre movies. Inaugurations are more costly than ever -- $200 million, the most expensive glitzy inauguration ever and people had plenty of money to travel to Washington DC.
I agree that things can be turned around if we move aggressively to do so. But there are many Neocons who want to keep the status quo. But on the same token I do not see anything on the horizon as of today that suggests that things will turn anything around. The last stimulus package was a joke. People are loosing homes and Bush thought that 300$ was going to turn things around. LOL If we are to stay away from harder times, we will have to change the way this country does business. The era of greed that has prevailed for years has to be revamped. Many will disagree, but I do not see anything that can change things. Remember that during the last recession of any consequence there were many states that did not really hurt at all. I moved from Michigan to Florida in 81 when you could not buy a job in Michigan and never looked back for 7 years till things recovered. Florida during that time was exploding, and so was California. I had a friend from Michigan move to Florida in 84 to work for a couple of years because I had so much work, and he had nothing in Michigan. Michigan did not pull out till around 92 when the beginning of the building boom started. Now there is no island of prosperity in the sea of despair. There are a few places that are not hit as hard as others but things are still collapsing. Tell me where things are going in a good direction? Where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Where is the new avenue of industry that will bring all the new job's that we are loosing? Tell me all you people who have all the answers. All I hear is silly little people saying that a body shop is doing well. I can tell you I know several body shops in Michigan and they are not doing well. Some are keeping afloat, but not thriving as they once were. For every anecdotal story I hear from Driller1 I can give you 10,000 people laid off from CNN. Silly people with silly stories.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnutbujelly View Post
I agree that things can be turned around if we move aggressively to do so. But there are many Neocons who want to keep the status quo. But on the same token I do not see anything on the horizon as of today that suggests that things will turn anything around. The last stimulus package was a joke. People are loosing homes and Bush thought that 300$ was going to turn things around. LOL If we are to stay away from harder times, we will have to change the way this country does business. The era of greed that has prevailed for years has to be revamped. Many will disagree, but I do not see anything that can change things. Remember that during the last recession of any consequence there were many states that did not really hurt at all. I moved from Michigan to Florida in 81 when you could not buy a job in Michigan and never looked back for 7 years till things recovered. Florida during that time was exploding, and so was California. I had a friend from Michigan move to Florida in 84 to work for a couple of years because I had so much work, and he had nothing in Michigan. Michigan did not pull out till around 92 when the beginning of the building boom started. Now there is no island of prosperity in the sea of despair. There are a few places that are not hit as hard as others but things are still collapsing. Tell me where things are going in a good direction? Where is the light at the end of the tunnel? Where is the new avenue of industry that will bring all the new job's that we are loosing? Tell me all you people who have all the answers. All I hear is silly little people saying that a body shop is doing well. I can tell you I know several body shops in Michigan and they are not doing well. Some are keeping afloat, but not thriving as they once were. For every anecdotal story I hear from Driller1 I can give you 10,000 people laid off from CNN. Silly people with silly stories.
You missed the point. Michigan will never come back until some changes are made. Call me silly if you want, I am not the one broke.

Old 02-01-2009, 08:32 PM

167 posts, read 431,281 times
HOLD ON TO YER Assssssssssssssssssssssss Peanut Butter and Jelly! You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait until the end of March! All of the auto loans will have to be paid back because the industry will have shown no improvement. Bankrupcy for the auto industry! The UAW won't have to worry about making consesstions anymore because there won't be anything to bargin with. In one quick slice of the blade, the unions will be done.
Schools are going to suffer too. No money means no teachers! The state is already running a $400,000,000 dollar budget deficet. By next year it will be over a billion. Tell me where its going to come from? I'm waiting? That's what I thought!? You have no clue either.
Where are all the great minds that will lead us out of this? OH ****, there are no great minds, only common thinkers. Like you and me.......

Old 02-01-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merit1sje View Post
HOLD ON TO YER Assssssssssssssssssssssss Peanut Butter and Jelly! You ain't seen nothin yet. Wait until the end of March! All of the auto loans will have to be paid back because the industry will have shown no improvement. Bankrupcy for the auto industry! The UAW won't have to worry about making consesstions anymore because there won't be anything to bargin with. In one quick slice of the blade, the unions will be done.
Schools are going to suffer too. No money means no teachers! The state is already running a $400,000,000 dollar budget deficet. By next year it will be over a billion. Tell me where its going to come from? I'm waiting? That's what I thought!? You have no clue either.
Where are all the great minds that will lead us out of this? OH ****, there are no great minds, only common thinkers. Like you and me.......
I agree, and it does not HAVE to be that way. But, it will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan