U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 01:03 PM

943 posts, read 2,104,127 times

Advertisements

I am applying to disabled housing there. it seems like it would be safe place, they have a hospital and Dial a ride. Is the town dying how is it hanging out. I dont want another Hillsdale experience...but I hate bigger city life and need to get away from the ghetto here in Benton Harbor/St. Joseph {I am going to be very poor living on disability check} I am on two lists for better housing on south part of St. Joe too.

So tell me what is Dowagiac like, do they have library, I look up a decent church I would go to, like that Amtrak goes through, that they have Dial a Ride, are the people friendly?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,967,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
I am applying to disabled housing there. it seems like it would be safe place, they have a hospital and Dial a ride. Is the town dying how is it hanging out. I dont want another Hillsdale experience...but I hate bigger city life and need to get away from the ghetto here in Benton Harbor/St. Joseph {I am going to be very poor living on disability check} I am on two lists for better housing on south part of St. Joe too.

So tell me what is Dowagiac like, do they have library, I look up a decent church I would go to, like that Amtrak goes through, that they have Dial a Ride, are the people friendly?
I'm going to give it to you straight. Just another typical MI small town full of inbred filth, wannabe bad azzes, yankee trash. Amtrak..perhaps, dial a ride...perhaps, meth labs....You Betcha!!!

Old 02-05-2009, 09:06 PM

316 posts, read 1,098,247 times
Saint Joseph is one of the better smaller towns to live in in Michigan. I would try to make things work there, the grass that you are speaking of is not any greener. Xlabel hit the nail on the head for the most part. It is an annoying Amtrak stop by the way, nobody gets on and off of that stop and we all lose 10 minutes time because of it.
Why not try Marshall.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I'm going to give it to you straight. Just another typical MI small town full of inbred filth, wannabe bad azzes, yankee trash. Amtrak..perhaps, dial a ride...perhaps, meth labs....You Betcha!!!
That bad? Sigh....Well someone did tell me Three Rivers was nicer.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:49 AM

I am thinking Dowagiac, while nice in some ways, may be TOO small.

Three Rivers seems the preferable option.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:50 PM

2 posts, read 10,283 times
Default Living in Dowagiac

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post

I have lived in Dowagiac my entire life and have traveled the world. I am proud to call Dowagiac home. There are always negative things that can be said about ANY place- we have our small town bull---- politics and "good ol' boys club" here, but that aside, it is a very nice place to live. We have beautiful parks, decent places to eat, great entertainment at Round Oak Restaurant, a variety of very nice churches, easy access to Chicago, Detroit, South Bend and Kalamazoo through both Amtrak and closeness to major highways, a variety of housing to choose from and many lakes nearby. I would encourage you to give it a try.

Old 04-04-2009, 12:51 PM

2 posts, read 10,283 times
Default Give it a try

Dowagiac is nice.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dowagiac gal View Post
I have lived in Dowagiac my entire life and have traveled the world. I am proud to call Dowagiac home. There are always negative things that can be said about ANY place- we have our small town bull---- politics and "good ol' boys club" here, but that aside, it is a very nice place to live. We have beautiful parks, decent places to eat, great entertainment at Round Oak Restaurant, a variety of very nice churches, easy access to Chicago, Detroit, South Bend and Kalamazoo through both Amtrak and closeness to major highways, a variety of housing to choose from and many lakes nearby. I would encourage you to give it a try.
Hey Dowaigiac girl, I am on a disabled housing list there, I did go visit, it seemed to be a nice town, reminded me of my loved town Hillsdale...but in better shape except for a depressed area along highway 51. . I like small little towns, and down home people. THere is small town BS everywhere but I will take it over big city BS. I saw a couple Bible churches too which pleased me. The apt place looked good as well.

Old 04-06-2009, 11:25 AM

1,068 posts, read 2,967,319 times
I take back what I said about it earlier, I just had bad experiences years ago working there and with the hospital. It's not a bad town all in all.

Old 05-21-2010, 12:47 AM

5 posts, read 12,215 times
I moved here a few years ago and lived in town, but it was like Children of the Corn with more disrespectful and more violent teenagers. I sought counseling about it but I'm fine now. A preacher told me to study Joseph in the Bible, so I moved north to the country, and like it here but Dowagiac is a southern outpost with a lot of poverty, boys in wife-beaters, girls settling for idiocy, foreclosures, and single family rental homes. They have a nice community theatre if you can overlook the pomp by some of the "artsy" liberal elders, and the Woodfire is a very nice Italian ristorante. We boast southwestern Michigan college, which is a beautiful community college campus with new dorms. We are a little too far from Kalamazoo and South Bend for my taste (45 miles either way), and they took our Kentucky Fried Chicken and our movie theatres. The only place for the kids to skate is on the sidewalks and the Shell station seems to be the local hangout on Friday night. Sad. But Mayberry had its Otis-es too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan