Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:30 PM

3 posts, read 10,200 times

Advertisements

The State News: Fixing potholes should be state priority

Finally someone makes sense. All you Michigan morons badmouthing this article are idiots. Im from Florida, where nice smooth roads are the norm and we wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately I had the "pleasure" of living in wayne county for 3 years. Michiganders are so used to ghetto everything (buildings, homes, roads, Detroit), that you complain when someone like the author wants something fixed and improved. You guys love living in your gloomy, poor, broken state. The only people that defend Michigan's shortcoming are Michiganders! Hello! Your state is not normal! When you drive down 75 to florida in other states, you don't feel like your driving on a bombed road in Afghanistan like you do when you hit Michigan.
First of all, the roads shouldn't be in that condition in the first place. The cold weather is not the problem. Vermont is cold but why aren't their roads all f#%*d up? Its because someone knows what the hell they are doing. You guys got 4 different types of material making up these roads. No wonder they don't hold together as the different material has different expansion rates. One lane will be concrete junk and the next will be a cheap form of something they consider "asphalt". Then, to "fill" in the crater, they just dump a shovel full of asphalt on top and let the citizens cars do the role of the steamroller. Real nice. But hey! Thats the Michigan way, and thats what the citizens like. Half ass it! Just like everything else. Only one thing is great about Michigan and thats the clean lakes. Unlike Texas who would dump their filth anywhere. I could rant for hours about the toilet bowl of America (Michigan). Every states has issues but Michigan is bad because of its crappy, cold, non sociable, unmotivated, citizens who are plenty happy living in a dump. LOL you know whats funny? Go figure the only 0-16 team in NFL history is right there in Detroit. Suits you real well.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,192 times
I've lived here 4 years and u are absolutely correct about the roads. Non sociable does decribe many of the citizens we've met as well. Some nice folks but they do not like outsiders in general and are resistant to ways of doing things better if an "outsider" tries to enlighten someone

Old 02-21-2009, 06:40 PM

850 posts, read 1,898,464 times
geez are all people from florida so full of contempt? :}

Old 02-21-2009, 07:11 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,853,217 times
Actually that is NOT true, and the writer must have never traveled I-495 around Boston, or plenty of other roads in this Country. Sounds like just another loud-mouthed hater. Find them for any place and any state if you look for them. I personally try to ignore them so they Shut the * up eventually.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:13 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post

Finally someone makes sense. All you Michigan morons badmouthing this article are idiots. Im from Florida, where nice smooth roads are the norm and we wouldn't have it any other way. Unfortunately I had the "pleasure" of living in wayne county for 3 years. Michiganders are so used to ghetto everything (buildings, homes, roads, Detroit), that you complain when someone like the author wants something fixed and improved. You guys love living in your gloomy, poor, broken state. The only people that defend Michigan's shortcoming are Michiganders! Hello! Your state is not normal! When you drive down 75 to florida in other states, you don't feel like your driving on a bombed road in Afghanistan like you do when you hit Michigan.
First of all, the roads shouldn't be in that condition in the first place. The cold weather is not the problem. Vermont is cold but why aren't their roads all f#%*d up? Its because someone knows what the hell they are doing. You guys got 4 different types of material making up these roads. No wonder they don't hold together as the different material has different expansion rates. One lane will be concrete junk and the next will be a cheap form of something they consider "asphalt". Then, to "fill" in the crater, they just dump a shovel full of asphalt on top and let the citizens cars do the role of the steamroller. Real nice. But hey! Thats the Michigan way, and thats what the citizens like. Half ass it! Just like everything else. Only one thing is great about Michigan and thats the clean lakes. Unlike Texas who would dump their filth anywhere. I could rant for hours about the toilet bowl of America (Michigan). Every states has issues but Michigan is bad because of its crappy, cold, non sociable, unmotivated, citizens who are plenty happy living in a dump. LOL you know whats funny? Go figure the only 0-16 team in NFL history is right there in Detroit. Suits you real well.
The winter weather in Michigan is not good for roads. Some counties around me already have the seasonal restrictions on. They will be until mid March.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:31 PM

147 posts, read 522,302 times
Hey Mirko...nice try buddy. Vermont and Michigan as a comparison? Please. We lived in Vermont for eight (L-O-N-G) years. The roads are just as bad..with shoddy road crews to depend on. Potholes? We called them carholes. You got stuck in one of those and had to burn your car for help.

Know what??...I don't think you are in Florida at all, but in Michigan...trying to create some grief...but we ain't buyin', got it?
Nice try.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:44 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,198,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjay View Post
geez are all people from florida so full of contempt? :}
By no means. Heck most folks from FL are from some northern state. I'm a native Floridian and split time between FL and MI, the only 2 places I'll ever live. When I retire I plan on doing it ack basswards, FL April-September, MI Oct-May.

The OP is outta line and doesn't look at the bright side of potholes. They keep you awake and provide jobs,(broken steering and suspension parts,bent wheels etc). At least up here you can actually get out and drive. Florida is so saturated with red lights you can get out and walk faster.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:53 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,311,700 times
Quote:

Well, aren't you Miss Mary Sunshine and maybe it's your negative attitude that caused you to find all the so-call "non-sociable" people in Michigan. You're using a broad brush to paint the entire state with one stroke and what you're describing is not true of the entire state except for maybe the roads i.e. within any city, in any state you're going to find good and bad neighborhoods. The roads are bad this time of the year, I'll give you that. But Florida doesn't have to deal with the constant freezing and thawing of road material that cause the potholes, so please quit comparing apples and oranges.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:09 PM

County Road Assn of Michigan - Seasonal Weight Restrictions (http://www.micountyroads.org/page.cfm/22/ - broken link)

Here is how bad the weather effects the roads.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:12 PM

Quote:

After reading your profile, I understand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan