Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 11:51 AM

16 posts, read 46,410 times

Advertisements

Hello all, My wife and I have been researching our next move very carefully as we hope it will be our last. The information on this forum has been invaluable; Its nice to see people who love and cherish their state as you folks do.
We are from Alaska, both of us were raised there, my Father was born and raised there as well. That's considered some pretty deep roots up there.
Our biggest dream is to create our own homestead. When we decided that was the route we wanted to go, we knew it wasn't going to be in Alaska. We both love our home very much, but we want to live somewhere that gets a good 4 seasons. We love snow and winter, just not 9 months of it. We want to be able to grow fruit trees, lots of vegetables, and feed for our livestock. (chickens, goats, a hog or 3). Money has never been a huge factor in our lives. We have 4 children and are very family oriented. We would rather be poor and happy than rich and miserable. We are debt free, and I get some disability from Uncle Sam. My wife works outside the home, I am the stay at home parent because of said disability. Which will work great with having a homestead, as I'll be able to feed the animals, and take care of the land and crops... at my own pace.
Now to our dilemma; NW Michigan or the U.P. It seems like the Traverse City to Charlevoix area would be ideal for growing the things we want, and probably easier to graze the livestock. The Upper Peninsula seems to have the close knit communities we're looking for, and a bit more rural feel to it. Alaskans and Yoopers seem to be kindred spirits. Towns having festivals and winter activities, being more than just the place you buy groceries and go to work. I hear the Escanaba area has a bit more growing season. But I wonder if we can grow much there.
We're not afraid of the winters up there. People say it snows a lot. In my mind that's great because it means its warm enough to snow! You have an actual Fall season up there. In Alaska it gets cold and rainy at the end of September, then it just freezes one day and you're in winter. I will miss all the tall peaks on the horizon though, and being able to see Denali on a clear day.
Oh my I didn't mean to go on so much. I'd appreciate any info that might help to fill in the cracks, and help seal our decision. Thanks!

P.S. Whats with the Lions? eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2009, 12:08 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,701,153 times
Well, let's not get into the Lions. >>sob<<

I think the UP is likely to have much more Alaskalike weather than any place in the "flatlands," with a MUCH longer growing season. There is some very nice property out around Charlevoix and I would highly recommend that area not only for apples but for your nippy-weather specialties like parsnips. Every state needs more parsnip farmers.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:09 PM

147 posts, read 521,080 times
I agree Papachops. This is a great forum! I'm new too. Welcome!

You are lucky that you love snow! So many beautiful places to choose from in the UP and Northern Michigan area. Yes, debt free...poor and happy...that's the way to be!... (we still have to work on the debt-free part )

You'll get some great ideas from our Michiganders I'm sure! Good Luck!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:09 PM

760 posts, read 2,434,035 times
We live on the north side of the U.P. (Marquette area) and I am surprised by all the former Alaskans we've met who choose to move here. Another couple from that great state just moved in down our private road recently.
So..... seeing as this is where we chose to settle (we're both from lower MI) with our dreams of homesteading, this is where I'm going to recommend!
I'll send you a direct message with the websites of some local farms/homesteads so you can see all the crops that can be grown up here. Much more then many people think.
The weekend after this coming one we're having the U.P. 200 sled dog race which is a huge event here. Come on down, it'll feel just like home!!

Old 02-11-2009, 02:37 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,688,282 times
Hi, we are new to Michigan as well, and live right outside Traverse City. And its awesome. You can be in town...drive a ways, see the greatest orchards, then drive a little farther and see cows...You have a little bit of everything. I dont know anything about the U.P. but i cant say enough of the NW area. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 02-11-2009, 03:48 PM

16 posts, read 46,410 times
Thank you all very much for your responses. I checked out that link jeeg, that looks perfect. A whole support network of people doing exactly what we want to do. The U.P. 200 sounds great! I've known a few Iditarod mushers myself. I haven't been dog sledding in years. My father-in-law wrote the current Iditarod song for the state of Alaska. He's known pretty well up there for his folk music. Here's a video of it. He didn't make the video, but the soundtrack is him.

YouTube - "Iditarod" by Mike Campbell with GB Jones and Team 2007

I hope there are music festivals up there because the In-Laws will more than likely spend the summers with us, and my wife will get to play the fiddle with her dad again.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:37 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,892,250 times
Just another plug for the Marquette area. I have been to Alaska , all parts , and have to agree. The UP is like a little Alaska. Our climate is more like the Anchorage area. We do not get deep cold like Fairbanks , but , a lot of snow.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:55 PM

217 posts, read 589,628 times
Here is a link to the musicfest that is held every year in Marquette.....I am sure there are others in the surrounding towns, and Wisconsin is just a hop,skip,and a jump away!http://www.hiawathamusic.org/

Old 02-11-2009, 07:17 PM

147 posts, read 521,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
Here is a link to the musicfest that is held every year in Marquette.....I am sure there are others in the surrounding towns, and Wisconsin is just a hop,skip,and a jump away!http://www.hiawathamusic.org/
Oh yeah! Sounds great Lindsey. ~ Papachops, move to Marquette...so much to do!! Not to mention the best feature of all....LAKE SUPERIOR! God's finest lake! Never to be taken for granted.

I'm leary though of the "Wife Carrying" contest/competition where the prize depends on the wifes weight in BEER!!!! But hey, sounds like fun to me!

Old 02-11-2009, 08:46 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,892,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PineHallGirl View Post
Oh yeah! Sounds great Lindsey. ~ Papachops, move to Marquette...so much to do!! Not to mention the best feature of all....LAKE SUPERIOR! God's finest lake! Never to be taken for granted.

I'm leary though of the "Wife Carrying" contest/competition where the prize depends on the wifes weight in BEER!!!! But hey, sounds like fun to me!
In Trenary ( south of Marquette ) , they have the annual winter outhouse races. A big event for such a small town. Each outhouse must have a toilet , and be on sled runners, or wheels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan