Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 09:53 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,679,054 times

Advertisements

You can read the details here in Crain's Detroit Business. All that extra Medicaid money means maybe more new hires in my agency. What are there, 50 counties in Michigan? If you split it evenly 50 ways that means a LOT of money for each county, but I daresay they'll split it by population figures. That sounds like enough to really do Detroit some good, for one thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2009, 09:59 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,704,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliffie View Post
You can read the details here in Crain's Detroit Business. All that extra Medicaid money means maybe more new hires in my agency. What are there, 50 counties in Michigan? If you split it evenly 50 ways that means a LOT of money for each county, but I daresay they'll split it by population figures. That sounds like enough to really do Detroit some good, for one thing.
83 Counties in Michigan.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:10 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,347,054 times
In the scope of things, that is not a lot of money. There was supposed to be a huge funding of infrstructure projects. That tends to be the fastest way to crete jobs and get money into the economy. This looks more like a band aid to put over some problems than an economic stimulus effort. I was hoping for a number ten times the amount set out in Crains. $7 billion is not going to provide much stimulus and it appears that very little of the money is for stimulus rather than social programs. Social programs can be great, but they do not tend to stimulate economic activity. They do help those who are in need, but create few jobs per dollar. If we do not boost our economy, how are we going to pay for all of this spending?

I was told that Detroit needs $25 billion just to rebuild its crumbling sewer/wastewater system. Road construction costs about $1 million per mile.

Why does Michingan - the most economically impacted state, get only 1% of the total package? Are our policiticans not doing their job?

Michigan is fortunate in having only a $1.4 billion shortfall for this fiscal year. California is short $55 billion. But what are the going to do next year and the year after? If even one of the auto companies fail, Michigan is going to be faced with a budget shortfall many times the current amount.

As much as jobless persons need help to get through the year, it woul be better to do something to get them jobs. What happens next year where there are even more people with no jobs? Do they approriate another Trillion or so to increase benefits some more?

Arrgh. This is frustrating. The speeches were all about infrstructure spending and creating jobs. Maybe there is some infrasturcture moeny in the portion of the funds not covered by the report. I remain hopeful.

Old 02-13-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Why does Michigan - the most economically impacted state - get only 1% of the total package? Are our policiticans not doing their job?
As another article I read a while back says, we are so used to bad times that we are probably not squealing as much as other states who are just starting to feel the crunch. That could well have affected the amount we're getting. But I like to think it would be split up based on each state's population and need.

Old 02-14-2009, 07:27 AM

217 posts, read 604,946 times
According to an article in The Detroit News today, depending whose estimate you go by, Michigan could get up to $18 billion between tax breaks and spending money.

Quote:
Supporters pointed to a long list of provisions they said would boost Michigan. A summary released by Appropriations Committee aides said Michigan would get more than $5.2 billion in direct aid, including $1.3 billion to patch holes in the leaky state budget, plus more than $1 billion in highway and transit money.

A separate analysis by the National Governors Association estimated the state would get more than $2 billion in increased Medicaid funding, which it desperately needs to balance its budget.

House Democrats pointed to estimates from the Center for American Progress, a liberal think tank, that Michigan would get more than $18 billion when all the spending and tax relief is totaled. That includes a $100-a-month increase in unemployment benefits, income tax credits of $400 for individuals and $800 for couples, and other tax cuts.

The auto industry also gets some help. The bill includes a tax break of as much as $10 billion for General Motors, a liability it was facing as an unintended consequence of the government's $13 billion in aid. There are tax breaks for makers and buyers of hybrid electric vehicles, $2 billion in grants for development of advanced auto batteries and $300 million to buy new cars for federal agencies -- a provision Republicans repeatedly mocked as pork.

Old 02-14-2009, 11:27 AM

I think some of that "pork" is very likely to create jobs, like the one about removing fish barriers from the nation's waterways. It takes paid labor to remove those barriers, and then designers, planners and more paid labor to replace them with something fish-friendly. Then, presto-change-o Ghoul-o, the Salmon, Eel and Shad fisheries start to pick up, improving not only commercial fishing but tourism and cheap forms of entertainment dear to every American.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,058,584 times
I think its stupid too put the money into roads. They are just going to crumble in 5-6 months and have to spend ridicules amounts of money to repair them in that short amount of time. I think it be better off to either put the money towards public transportation or funding for research in finding better road construction techniques so that the roads at least last 3-4 years before having to put a lot of money towards them in repairs.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:21 PM

24,834 posts, read 37,198,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwo85 View Post
I think its stupid too put the money into roads. They are just going to crumble in 5-6 months and have to spend ridicules amounts of money to repair them in that short amount of time. I think it be better off to either put the money towards public transportation or funding for research in finding better road construction techniques so that the roads at least last 3-4 years before having to put a lot of money towards them in repairs.
We have the right techniques to fix the roads correctly. It just hasn't been done that way. They have been fixed cheaply for years.

Old 02-14-2009, 06:21 PM

541 posts, read 981,237 times
first lets start by saying michigan get 10 billion,for arguement sake,now that money is sent to lansing,like our current tax dollars here,and then is to be spread around,like our tax dollars,in various area's,i.e, fish hatcheries,lakes,construction,whatever.Now am i the only one here with the thought,that the money lansing gets from us,which they screw up regularly,should be given a check for X amount of dollars,and be able to spend it wisely? I think a requirement for any state to get this money is that the elected officials should have to be able to find their own a**es with both of their hands before recieving that kind of loot.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
We have the right techniques to fix the roads correctly. It just hasn't been done that way. They have been fixed cheaply for years.
And cruddy roads drastically increase the wear and tear on cars and buses, leading to more repairs and even lower gas mileage. This is not something we can afford to skip. But 1 million dollars per mile? Can than really be true? That's RIDICULOUSLY expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: