Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 06:10 PM

46 posts, read 60,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkfarnam View Post
But the humidity can kill you
Houston humidity is uncomfortable for 4 months a year, yes. But snow/cold/ice storms/dreary days of Ohio and Michigan last for much more than 4 months. (Not to say I don't miss the fall leaves or a snowy Christmas.) Nowhere is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 06:18 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,414,034 times
I'll take 12 months of snow over Houston humidity. Just the thought of it makes me sweat.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:23 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,934,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I'm graduating from college this year, and many people I'm graduating with plan to leave the great state of Michigan. Many are heading to Sunbelt states like Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Arizona. It's true, there are more jobs in other states. However, unless God calls me to go somewhere else, I'm staying.
That's nice and all but promise me if you do move to my beloved south you'll leave your northern attitudes up north?

We have very low property taxes where I live. I live in a nice house in a nice neighborhood and still pay less than $1,000 a year in property taxes. I know up north the very idea of paying so little seems even treasonous but high taxes has done such good for states like Michigan we want you to keep them all there.

You are right, our libraries aren't as nice and they don't have the extended hours (ours are closed on Sunday) but I would rather have the extra $80 a week myself.

The unions. Please keep these up north? I know unions make better wages but when I see how well people live in Flint and Detroit I would rather suffer a little financial poverty here than poverty of the soul. Michigan, a strong union workers state.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:48 PM

943 posts, read 2,280,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
I'm graduating from college this year, and many people I'm graduating with plan to leave the great state of Michigan. Many are heading to Sunbelt states like Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, and Arizona. It's true, there are more jobs in other states. However, unless God calls me to go somewhere else, I'm staying. As long as I can find a job that pays the bills, I will be fine. It doesn't have to be a professional job - I'll dig ditches or scrub toilets at McDonalds before I leave Michigan! To me, it's not worth leaving home to find a job - especially one that could go away next week. I'd rather make $8.50/hr in Michigan than six figures in the desert. In my opinion, you can't put a price on home and quality of life.

I'm not judging anyone who leaves - you have to do what you can to support yourselves and your families (if any). However, the economy here WILL turn around and there WILL be more jobs in this state. Things will get better.
Seriously STAY HOME.

The less people that leave home for jobs, which they can whisk away at their whim, giving up family, friends and community the better.

I regretted a move as you know I did 2 and half years ago. I am still homesick, except that town died on their end as well, with many friends leaving.

I have tried the moving out of state thing and it didnt work. Also Michiganders I think live in denial about rest of country seeing it as Shangra-la. I saw an article in newspaper about how SW [SUNBELT] is dying for lack of water, most foreclosed homes...etc. And who wants to live where it is hotter then hell most of the year? You never would get 65 degrees during first week of JUNE!

Old 06-04-2009, 07:35 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
The UP is as hot as I would want. Today is was 73 , and when I got to the truck , I quickly turned on the AC ! I am building a new house , ( no AC ). There is always a breeze on my mountain top.

Michigan has some very diverse weather , but , always more pluses with little down side extremes. We are not the Great Plains , or the dry SW , or tornado ally . We are not swept away by floods , or hurricanes . All in all , Michigan is not a bad place to live. ........ I tried Florida for five years , enough !
Now , I find a visit to Key West a real treat , every few years , for a winter get a way.

Michigan is surrounded by water , fresh at that , its hard to beat. If I were younger , I might have tried Alaska , but , they do have earthquakes , and volcanoes .

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,695,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Seriously STAY HOME.

The less people that leave home for jobs, which they can whisk away at their whim, giving up family, friends and community the better.

I regretted a move as you know I did 2 and half years ago. I am still homesick, except that town died on their end as well, with many friends leaving.

I have tried the moving out of state thing and it didnt work. Also Michiganders I think live in denial about rest of country seeing it as Shangra-la. I saw an article in newspaper about how SW [SUNBELT] is dying for lack of water, most foreclosed homes...etc. And who wants to live where it is hotter then hell most of the year? You never would get 65 degrees during first week of JUNE!
This is a very well written post I must say! I agree with everything in this last paragraph. The thing is in CA where I am, a lot of people for some reason think that we have the best weather in the country due to the high number of sunny days and mild temperatures. And also, some people seem to think that CA is the best place which is not true IMO. I think the constant sunny, dry weather gets old after a while. I wouldn't even want to live somewhere where it gets too hot for half the year because I don't really like hot weather. True, you would never get any 65 degree days in June in Phoenix AZ for example.

While Michigan's economy is not too good now, it is not much better in CA. And when it comes to winter weather, I don't think Michigan has the worst winters, am I right? I think places like Buffalo NY or Montana, South Dakota and North Dakota are worse, right? When it is cold, you can ALWAYS put on clothes to stay warm, go outside and exercise, for example. What can you do when it is 110F? Run from building to building to avoid getting scorched? The bottom line is that CA is no paradise and its certainly not as good as people say it is, although it does have its pluses.

Even if I wasn't a Detroit Red Wings fan, I'd probably love to be in Michigan because of the beauty of the state and clean air(except Detroit which has poor air quality). Anyone who is able to live in MI and get a job and support themselves, I consider them VERY fortunate

Old 06-06-2009, 02:03 PM

864 posts, read 1,720,638 times
Staying in MI is seriously bad advice unless by some miracle you find a job in MI that is better than any other you could find elsewhere. I feel sorry for new grads this year -- employment opportunities are just very bad. The longer you are out of work -- the lower the chance at finding a job in your field. It's not fair but employers will consider you damaged goods if there's a long gap.

California is probably in worse shape than MI at the moment but there are many other states that are better. You also want to be someplace where that "next job" is easy to find because the days where you simply advance with one company are gone. There's no company loyalty and no employee loyalty. You're biggest pay increases will come when you move from company to company and you'll gain more diverse experience this way. Don't stay in MI thinking that things will get better because the odds are that things will be better almost anywhere else first. Go where you can succeed and if you really miss MI -- find a way back when things get better.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 PM

10 posts, read 26,800 times
I know the feeling.We are moving back to Lansing as well.They had a Mass layoff and closed down manufacturing plants and several other companies had mass layoffs.Bad or not we are going back.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:00 PM

30 posts, read 57,315 times
Chances make champion i say go run there is nothing here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan